Recorded at 4k, should i render it as 1080p or 4k?

Hello everyone, English is not my mother tongue so i hope you understand what i say. Let me get straight to what i wanna say. I recorded a video today for my YT channel and i recorded it in 4k30fps with my phone (Samsung A71). I am at the editing process at the moment but when i finish the editing and all that, should i render my video at 4k60fps or 1080p60fps? All my videos are rendered and uploaded to YT in 1080p60fps quality and this is the first time recording a 4k video with my phone, so will rendering the video at 4k60fps make a difference in quality? Or should i just stick to my normal 1080p60fps render? Thank you!

Also i use Vegas Pro 18 as my editing software, idk if that helps you or not but why not lol.

3 minutes ago, AleksiDj73 said:

should i render my video at 4k60fps or 1080p60fps?

If your source footage was 30fps, neither. Render at 4K30 if you care about details or 1080p30 if you want to save upload bandwidth.

Rendering 30fps video at 60fps isn't going to magically interpolate the missing frames.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

1 minute ago, AbydosOne said:

If your source footage was 30fps, neither. Render at 4K30 if you care about details or 1080p30 if you want to save upload bandwidth.

Rendering 30fps video at 60fps isn't going to magically interpolate the missing frames.

Thank you for your reply!

Well tbh i don't really care if the source was 30fps and rendering it at 60fps at the end because i have done that multiple time in the past and it didn't really make a difference even if i recorded the video at 30 and rendered it at 60. i just like the smoothness lol

But i mean why not render a 30fps footage to 60fps? I'm not rendering my vids for the missing frames as you say etc etc but why not?

19 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

But it will trick Youtube into allowing more bitrate, thus having better quality if 4K60 is selected as playback resolution. Hardware Unboxed does the same thing afaik. Recording in 30fps, then rendering and uploading in 60 for more bitrate.

Tbh if your processing and upload time doesn't increase too much, i don't see why you wouldn't do it.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Thank you for your reply!

Well tbh i don't really care if the source was 30fps and rendering it at 60fps at the end because i have done that multiple time in the past and it didn't really make a difference even if i recorded the video at 30 and rendered it at 60. i just like the smoothness lol

But i mean why not render a 30fps footage to 60fps? I'm not rendering my vids for the missing frames as you say etc etc but why not?

You can get artifacting and weird issues with converting 30fps into 60 depending on the method that you use. And your just wasting bandwidth and render time when you can get the same quality with a 30fps output. It won't seem any smoother as you don't have the data for those inbetween frams.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

But it will trick Youtube into allowing more bitrate, thus having better quality if 4K60 is selected as playback resolution. Hardware Unboxed does the same thing afaik. Recording in 30fps, then rendering and uploading in 60 for more bitrate.

The reason youtube gives a higher bitrate for 60fps is those extra frames need more data, the visual quality is basically the same between them. If you shoot 30fps, keep it 30 fps the whole pipeline.

17 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can get artifacting and weird issues with converting 30fps into 60 depending on the method that you use. And your just wasting bandwidth and render time when you can get the same quality with a 30fps output. It won't seem any smoother as you don't have the data for those inbetween frams.

The reason youtube gives a higher bitrate for 60fps is those extra frames need more data, the visual quality is basically the same between them. If you shoot 30fps, keep it 30 fps the whole pipeline.

Gotcha gotcha. I mean, i just finished rendering the video at 60fps, played it back to see any like glitches or artifacts as you said and none were found, everything was still the same except not seeing any noticeable difference in the FPS. Did i waste my time rendering it at 60fps? Probably but i like uploading my videos at 60fps even though it was recorded at 30fps. I honestly have a lot of time so it doesn't matter how long it took to render but it doesn't matter as well how much time it will take to upload. I get what you said ofc but ah well, anyways lol, thanks for the help!

Just now, AleksiDj73 said:

Gotcha gotcha. I mean, i just finished rendering the video at 60fps, played it back to see any like glitches or artifacts as you said and none were found, everything was still the same except not seeing any noticeable difference in the FPS. Did i waste my time rendering it at 60fps? Probably but i like uploading my videos at 60fps even though it was recorded at 30fps. I honestly have a lot of time so it doesn't matter how long it took to render but it doesn't matter as well how much time it will take to upload. I get what you said ofc but ah well, anyways lol, thanks for the help!

Depending on the footage, scaling is normally fine, but can cause weird issues. Also 60fps footage normally goes through the battery and network too for clients, so I don't see a reason to upload in 60 fps if there is no difference in quality.

I don't see any reason to upscale here if its all 30fps input footage.

57 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Depending on the footage, scaling is normally fine, but can cause weird issues. Also 60fps footage normally goes through the battery and network too for clients, so I don't see a reason to upload in 60 fps if there is no difference in quality.

I don't see any reason to upscale here if its all 30fps input footage.

I very rarely record videos using my phone and upload them on my YT channel. This is like 1/50 situation. It's not like i upload videos that are recorded on my phone regularly, it's very rare so uploading a 4k60fps video once in like 2-3 months won't hurt anyone. I mostly make videos on my computer and the 60fps there DOES make a difference because i have set OBS to record at 60fps and i record at 1080p60fps, it's not 4k everywhere, it will be 4k only when i record using my phone and that will be like every 2-3 months.

You said that the 60fps footage normally goes through battery and network. If i'm being truthfully honest dude, that's not my issue and i don't really care about it. If their network cannot handle the quality or they have low battery, they can always lower the quality, they have the option to do that. I am a tutorials channel and i don't like uploading my videos plain 30fps because it just looks sluggish and weird. I don't think anyone will complain saying that i upload my videos at 60fps and not 30fps because that's just stupid, it's like telling me "make your next video 30fps or i will unsubscribe", no lol, that's not gonna happen, because someone said that, that won't change my mind anytime soon because only 1 person said that. Anyways, i get what you mean and thanks for that

7 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Hello everyone, English is not my mother tongue so i hope you understand what i say. Let me get straight to what i wanna say. I recorded a video today for my YT channel and i recorded it in 4k30fps with my phone (Samsung A71). I am at the editing process at the moment but when i finish the editing and all that, should i render my video at 4k60fps or 1080p60fps? All my videos are rendered and uploaded to YT in 1080p60fps quality and this is the first time recording a 4k video with my phone, so will rendering the video at 4k60fps make a difference in quality? Or should i just stick to my normal 1080p60fps render? Thank you!

Also i use Vegas Pro 18 as my editing software, idk if that helps you or not but why not lol.

I have a Samsung Galaxy A71 and the 4K video is rubbish. Rendering at 60fps is pointless if you recorded it at 30fps. I would just go 1080p.

7 hours ago, AleksiDj73 said:

Thank you for your But i mean why not render a 30fps footage to 60fps? I'm not rendering my vids for the missing frames as you say etc etc but why not?

Because its pointless and provides no benifit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 12:25 AM, VFXGuy said:

I have a Samsung Galaxy A71 and the 4K video is rubbish. Rendering at 60fps is pointless if you recorded it at 30fps. I would just go 1080p.

Well i haven't tried out recording 4K outside my house cuz i currently have an ankle sprain but the 4K for me is fine, maybe the stabilization makes it look like rubbish to you idk but for me it's fine. I don't do a whole lot of recording in general so i don't really care if it's rubbish or not.

On 6/10/2021 at 12:26 AM, VFXGuy said:

Because its pointless and provides no benifit.

Yeah i saw that after my video went live but ah well, tried out something new so next time i will defo render it at 4K30FPS