Chi, Worthwhile at what Cost?

After reading about Chi Farming on this Forum and elsewhere on Online. I'm also Reading this:

https://www.chia.net/faq/

This sounds more like a Glorified Sales Ad then something Factual. So I have to take this with a Shaker of Salt.

How CPU and Mass Storage Performance would I need? A Refurshished Thinkpad T430 will do? I already have that, and a larger and faster HDD doesn't cost much...

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

After reading about Chi Farming on this Forum and elsewhere on Online. I'm also Reading this:

https://www.chia.net/faq/

This sounds more like a Glorified Sales Ad then something Factual. So I have to take this with a Shaker of Salt.

How CPU and Mass Storage Performance would I need? A Refurshished Thinkpad T430 will do? I already have that, and a larger and faster HDD doesn't cost much...

Successful chia farms are now in the 100's of TB. Hope you have lots of storage...

5 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Successful chia farms are now in the 100's of TB. Hope you have lots of storage...

My Laptop is a Thinkpad T430 which is Ivy Bridge based. Come to think of it, I'm not certain It is BIOS or UEFI...

6 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

My Laptop is a Thinkpad T430 which is Ivy Bridge based. Come to think of it, I'm not certain It is BIOS or UEFI...

How much mass storage do you have? Each plot (chance to win) is about 110gb. Just like the lottery, one ticket (plot in this case) means you have nearly a zero chance to win a chia coin. You need massive amounts of storage so that you can have many plots/chances to win a coin. 

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

How much mass storage do you have? Each plot (chance to win) is about 110gb. Just like the lottery, one ticket (plot in this case) means you have nearly a zero chance to win a chia coin. You need massive amounts of storage so that you can have many plots/chances to win a coin. 

500GB For the Laptop.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

500GB For the Laptop.

That gets you 4 plots. In a sea of millions,hundreds of millions? You could be waiting a LONG time to win a coin.

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

That gets you 4 plots. In a sea of millions,hundreds of millions? You could be waiting a LONG time to win a coin.

So forget about it then? Upgrade to a 2TB HDD then?

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

So forget about it then? Upgrade to a 2TB HDD then?

Maybe 10x 8tb is a good start. 

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

10x what do you mean by 10x? PCIe? M.2?

10 8tb drives.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

10 8tb drives.

It a Laptop.... Old Enough not to have M.2.

So are there Exchanges where I can Trade Chia Coins for US Dollars? Or Physical Good and Sevices?

* your thread was moved to the Folding@home, Boinc, and Coin Mining section, please post in the appropriate section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

It a Laptop.... Old Enough not to have M.2.

I mean, I guess you could use usb hub and drives, but you are really too late to make chia worthwhile. 

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I mean, I guess you could use usb hub and drives, but you are really too late to make chia worthwhile. 

Yes but however a larger and Faster HDD doesn't cost that much. What about RAM and CPU Performance? Does that Matter?

18 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Yes but however a larger and Faster HDD doesn't cost that much. What about RAM and CPU Performance? Does that Matter?

Chia uses two types of storage, plotting storage and farming storage.

Plotting storage should be faster SSD's or NVMe's. Yes, RAM and CPU matter since Chia stresses different hardware at different stages of plotting.

Your farm drives can be spinning drives, speed is not important for the farm drives.

Most people farming Chia right now are doing so with over 100TB, many are running petabytes of storage.

If you want to see what the return would be on a 500 GB hard drive, plug it into the calculator.

https://chiacalculator.com/

Note: Net space is rapidly expanding so returns are decreasing over time so the value you get right now is the highest you'd be able to make.

22 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Yes, but what I am saying is that one large hard drive isn't enough. You need multiple large hard drives to make it profitable. And you need at least one large ssd, preferably m.2 to do the plotting. And yes, (to a lesser extent) cpu and ram matter. 

The basic rundown is

1 - make a plot. This needs cpu and fast storage with high iops. (nvme is king) 

2 - store plots on large hard drive. Size is king as each plot is 110gb

3 - wait for your plot to be "chosen" (this is down to luck - more plots = higher chance of being chosen) 

This is quite simplified. There are people much more knowledgeable than me about chia. 

Under ~$4 per Month... I can Install a Second 2.5" SATA HDD by removing the DVD Burner.

4 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Under ~$4 per Month... I can Install a Second 2.5" SATA HDD by removing the DVD Burner.

You could probably get more in one day by spending a few hours asking random people on the street for a quarter. 

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

i'm sorry dude, but you need a HDD farm of over 100TB to close to a petabyte to even remotely have a chance at winning a block these days

maybe once pools roll out there will be a difference, but a little thinkpad laptop is not enough to plot.

EDIT: my current farm is 126TB and my estimated time to win is 2 months.

3 hours ago, RollinLower said:

i'm sorry dude, but you need a HDD farm of over 100TB to close to a petabyte to even remotely have a chance at winning a block these days

maybe once pools roll out there will be a difference, but a little thinkpad laptop is not enough to plot.

EDIT: my current farm is 126TB and my estimated time to win is 2 months.

So how room does your 126TB Farm take up?

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

it's taking up 126TB just for chia right now. i have about 150TB in HDD's.

How much room in your Home or where the Chia Farm is at. What are you using, Just A Bunch Of NAS?

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

IMG_20210526_180530.thumb.jpg.819b6ab9264ebf7b22c4a2e0971546c8.jpg

Looks very Expensive... How much did all of that cost? How long did it take for you to recoup the Investment.