Chi, Worthwhile at what Cost?

33 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Looks very Expensive... How much did all of that cost? How long did it take for you to recoup the Investment.

well, i bought most of it from the profit i got trading dogecoin. i spend about 6000 euro's on the whole chia rig, not including the PC on top or other networking equipment/servers also in this rack. 

i farmed 2 blocks, so i have 4 chia's now. meaning that in the market right now, i made about 2900 dollars in chia. if i bought al of it without my prior profits in dogecoin i still would not have made a profit now.

SI've just crossed 350 plots (35TB), and started about 3rd of May.

I have already got 4 XCH, i guess my luck is high.

My estimate to win 1 chia has never been below 5 months, and i got my first 2 XCH, three weeks into it, and the next 2 XCH, two weeks after those.

Currently my est. is 4 months.

I've invested in 8x8TB WD red plus, and 24x used intel DC 480GB S3500/S3510 SSDs. In total (including local tax, and converted to USD) about $2500USD + $1000USD respectively.

In my area the HDDs are all sold out everywhere, and most have risen much in price. But i got the disks at their normal price level.

6 minutes ago, Struck said:

In my area the HDDs are all sold out everywhere, and most have risen much in price. But i got the disks at their normal price level.

Are a bunch of people buying New Computers or Build their own all of the sudden in your Area?

46 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Are a bunch of people buying New Computers or Build their own all of the sudden in your Area?

People are buying hdds for china. That caused the price of 4tb and up drives to double in price in some places. Started beginning to mid-may. 

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

People are buying hdds for china. That caused the price of 4tb and up drives to double in price in some places. Started beginning to mid-may. 

Are SSDs safe? I would like to build a new system in the near future w/o having to perform "Curses" just so I can get reasonable prices.

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Are SSDs safe? I would like to build a new system in the near future w/o having to perform "Curses" just so I can get reasonable prices.

They are a bit better, but up in price also. Ssd's are used to mine chia, but just for creating the plots, so you don't need nearly as much space/number of drives as the storage of completed plots. 

13 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Not more than normal i guess.

And if there were, they would not be buying 8-18TB NAS HDDs

4 hours ago, Struck said:

Not more than normal i guess.

And if there were, they would not be buying 8-18TB NAS HDDs

Assuming I would use HDDs and not SSDs or HDDs to keep files and Games on, I will have nothing to worry about then? Note Any HDDs I would get will be around would be no larger then ~4TB.

5 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Assuming I would use HDDs and not SSDs or HDDs to keep files and Games on, I will have nothing to worry about then? Note Any HDDs I would get will be around would be no larger then ~4TB.

Sure, just don't spend much money to buy them just for chia, it will almost certainly be a money loosing purchase. 

39 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Sure, just don't spend much money to buy them just for chia, it will almost certainly be a money loosing purchase. 

I wondering if that many Chia Farmers are actually making Money from this? Like two Major Gold Rushes of the 19th Century in the US. Most of the Miners went broke. The Folks who made money were the ones getting rich selling Equipment.and food to the Miners.