Give me everything you've got.

Forleb

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Moderate Gaming & Video Production

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I've already done a fair amount of research myself on all of these parts, but I know that there are plenty of people on here that are more seasoned in PC building than myself, so I'd like to see who can point out what, down to the finest details.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($419.00 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.12 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($24.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $1516.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 07:05 EDT-0400

I plan to snag an RTX 3070 Ti FE from my Best Buy.

the pc guy

GPU?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

GPU?

Forgot it initially; Edited the original post.

the pc guy

$310 for 32GB seems like highway robbery, but if that's the model you want and have cash to burn, hey why not. looks like  a cool computer. also worth adding you could basically double your storage for the same price by going gen3, there's literally no reason for going gen4, but again some people need to have the best of the best even though it makes no difference. not meant be a diss; I suffer the same disease

5 minutes ago, Forleb said:

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory  ($309.99 @ Amazon)

2x8 4000 RAM with Zen 3?

high chance it wont work

either go with 3600, or even 3200 for dual rank config, as 3600 might not work as well

rest of the build looks fine

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, jwwagner25 said:

$310 for 32GB seems like highway robbery, but if that's the model you want and have cash to burn, hey why not. looks like  a cool computer. 

Under the assumption I can actually get the 3070 Ti at $600 (unless BB suddenly turns to the dark side in a week), $100 extra for RAM is fairly trivial to me.

the pc guy

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

2x8 4000 RAM with Zen 3?

high chance it wont work

either go with 3600, or even 3200 for dual rank config, as 3600 might not work as well

rest of the build looks fine

So the same kit but 3600 C18? I had a feeling 4000 was pushing it, but I currently have a 3600 kit running on my Ryzen 5 3600, so I don't see why that wouldn't work on its bigger brother.

the pc guy

Just now, Forleb said:

Under the assumption I can actually get the 3070 Ti at $600 (unless BB suddenly turns to the dark side in a week), $100 extra for RAM is fairly trivial to me.

not meaning to go off topic but is it just me or does it make *no* sense for nvidia to price 3070ti at that price, yet go so overboard with 3080ti? It seems like the 70ti is actually a good value, but 80ti is ripoff. whats the deal there? 

also if you are on the site right at 6am you should be able to get one, I was on the day of 3070 launch just by chance and was able to get the FE no problem. Wasn't even intending to do it, just happened to be on the computer at the right time. Was no problem. Hopefully you have the same experience. Make sure you are logged into your account with payment and shipping info already saved in your profile!

Save some money and go with 16 GB of ram now ... and don't waste your money with 4000 Mhz sticks ... above 3600 Mhz the performance increases are very small. 

You could put an extra 20-50$ on a motherboard a bit better than Aorus Elite (with more features, better mix of connectors on the IO shield). It's a good board, but you can do better for a few more dollars, and for the overall price of the system it's a few extra dollars well spent. 

I wouldn't buy a 980 Pro 1 TB, pointless expensive ... get a cheaper 500 GB nvme drive just for OS and some programs and a 2nd 2 TB nvme drive for games  

Just now, Forleb said:

So the same kit but 3600 C18? I had a feeling 4000 was pushing it.

3600 C18 is fine, but if you want the best you might consider 3600 C16 or even C14, though the performance gain may be minimal for the price you're paying

dual rank might not work at 3600 as well though, but you can always change frequency and tighten timings, just have to get a good set of memory to begin with

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

not meaning to go off topic but is it just me or does it make *no* sense for nvidia to price 3070ti at that price, yet go so overboard with 3080ti? It seems like the 70ti is actually a good value, but 80ti is ripoff. whats the deal there? 

also if you are on the site right at 6am you should be able to get one, I was on the day of 3070 launch just by chance and was able to get the FE no problem. Wasn't even intending to do it, just happened to be on the computer at the right time. Was no problem. Hopefully you have the same experience. Make sure you are logged into your account with payment and shipping info already saved in your profile!

Nvidia's mistake on our part was creating the enormous gap between the 3080 and the 3090; If you purely scale the 3080 Ti between those two, then the price starts to make sense, but only strictly in that perspective. Their mistake on THEIR part though was leaving such a small gap between the 3080 and 3070, pretty much guaranteeing that the 3070 Ti would have to be at a reasonable price.

the pc guy

Just now, Forleb said:

Nvidia's mistake on our part was creating the enormous gap between the 3080 and the 3090; If you purely scale the 3080 Ti between those two, then the price starts to make sense, but only strictly in that perspective. Their mistake on THEIR part though was leaving such a small gap between the 3080 and 3070, pretty much guaranteeing that the 3070 Ti would have to be at a reasonable price.

interesting. I'm sure by 'huge gap' (3080 to 90) you mean simply price, since in actual performance I think GN said they were only around 6-8% apart in games? It's crazy. interesting your point about the 3070 vs 80. thanks for the reply. 

3 minutes ago, brob said:

While those are much more reasonable, that isn't my highest concern; Unless you know some major flaws of the memory kit I selected (now 3600MHz CL18), I am fully prepared to take the hit for aesthetic.

the pc guy

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Save some money and go with 16 GB of ram now ... and don't waste your money with 4000 Mhz sticks ... above 3600 Mhz the performance increases are very small. 

You could put an extra 20-50$ on a motherboard a bit better than Aorus Elite (with more features, better mix of connectors on the IO shield). It's a good board, but you can do better for a few more dollars, and for the overall price of the system it's a few extra dollars well spent. 

I wouldn't buy a 980 Pro 1 TB, pointless expensive ... get a cheaper 500 GB nvme drive just for OS and some programs and a 2nd 2 TB nvme drive for games  

Fair alternatives, but I am not concerned about my budget too much for this build. I already have the 980 Pro in hand anyways, so flipping it would just be extra work.

the pc guy

1 hour ago, Forleb said:

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Moderate Gaming & Video Production

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I've already done a fair amount of research myself on all of these parts, but I know that there are plenty of people on here that are more seasoned in PC building than myself, so I'd like to see who can point out what, down to the finest details.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($147.12 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($209.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($24.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $1516.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 07:05 EDT-0400

I plan to snag an RTX 3070 Ti FE from my Best Buy.

-H100I? Eh. I'd get an arctic freezer II 280/360 for $20 less. If you really need RGB you can go with one of the Lian LI AIOS.
I'd get a B550 tommahawk instead, better VRMS and a bit cheaper
-4000MHZ RAM? Drop that. Just get 3200 CL14 - 3600 CL18
Do you need a 980 pro? Absolutely not. Do you need Gen4? I don't think so. I'd get a Silicon power A80 instead. if you really need Gen 4 i'd get a Sab Rock gen4 for around $150.
-Case is okay, doesn't have great airflow tho
-$135 for a 750W PSU? Another very meh deal. I'd get an Enermax D.F Revolution for around $114. 850W aswell which is pretty nice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($419.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($159.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($187.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($23.33 @ Amazon)
Total: $1237.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 08:19 EDT-0400

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

53 minutes ago, Downkey said:

-H100I? Eh. I'd get an arctic freezer II 280/360 for $20 less. If you really need RGB you can go with one of the Lian LI AIOS.
I'd get a B550 tommahawk instead, better VRMS and a bit cheaper
-4000MHZ RAM? Drop that. Just get 3200 CL14 - 3600 CL18
Do you need a 980 pro? Absolutely not. Do you need Gen4? I don't think so. I'd get a Silicon power A80 instead. if you really need Gen 4 i'd get a Sab Rock gen4 for around $150.
-Case is okay, doesn't have great airflow tho
-$135 for a 750W PSU? Another very meh deal. I'd get an Enermax D.F Revolution for around $114. 850W aswell which is pretty nice.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($419.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($159.91 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($187.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($113.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB Pro 52 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($23.33 @ Amazon)
Total: $1237.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-04 08:19 EDT-0400

Fantastic feedback man.

• RAM swapped to an identical Corsair kit at 3600 C18

• Mobo swapped to the Tomahawk

• As stated above, I already have the 980 Pro, so that's kind of just there now...

• PSU swapped to the Enermax one

At first I was sort of aiming at a full Corsair build, but all of those changes are making this look even better now. Thanks!

the pc guy

On 6/4/2021 at 6:24 AM, Forleb said:

Just read this again and had a good laugh.

The 3070 launched before any of this really even started. That launch had fairly normal demand from normal people. We're now in an environment where several thousand people and god knows how many lightning-fast bots are going to be on that page for the exact millisecond that the button says Add To Cart. It's pretty much RNG at this point with the sheer number of transaction requests the site is going to get in a matter of moments.

the pc guy