Green Screen Program

Go to solution Solved by minibois,

-- Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites --

Green as a color has the largest spectrum for cameras/monitors, so is the generally chosen color for a green screen.

The way you describe you wanting to use a green background, is basically exactly how a 'proper green screen' works in any other scenario.

By recording yourself in front of a green surface, any proper video editing program will be able to cut out the green and you can put another video/image/etc. behind yourself.

My go to for video editing is Davinci Resolve (which there is a free and paid version, the free version works fine for this purpose).

There are also ways to do what you mentioned in OBS, a (free) recording software.

'green screening' is also generally known as 'chroma key'. Some software use one or the other term, but for tutorials you'll find them under either term.

P.S. I should let you know that lighting is incredibly important when it comes to green screens. The green needs to be evenly lit, but you don't want it to cast on yourself either.. etc.

I am certainly not an expert on this, but just know that if you don't get the desired effect, it might have to do with the lighting involved, how the green screen reflect light, etc.

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little advice on a program. 

So I was wondering if there is any such thing as a virtual green screen, let me explain. Say I took a video of me on a green background, almost the same color as a green screen. Is there any program I can use (I am on PC, but I have an ipad too) that will insert a different video into that green background? So like photoshoping me into a new image, but for a video. A editing software that can do this is fine too, I don't really mind as long as its free.

Thanks!

-- Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites --

Green as a color has the largest spectrum for cameras/monitors, so is the generally chosen color for a green screen.

The way you describe you wanting to use a green background, is basically exactly how a 'proper green screen' works in any other scenario.

By recording yourself in front of a green surface, any proper video editing program will be able to cut out the green and you can put another video/image/etc. behind yourself.

My go to for video editing is Davinci Resolve (which there is a free and paid version, the free version works fine for this purpose).

There are also ways to do what you mentioned in OBS, a (free) recording software.

'green screening' is also generally known as 'chroma key'. Some software use one or the other term, but for tutorials you'll find them under either term.

P.S. I should let you know that lighting is incredibly important when it comes to green screens. The green needs to be evenly lit, but you don't want it to cast on yourself either.. etc.

I am certainly not an expert on this, but just know that if you don't get the desired effect, it might have to do with the lighting involved, how the green screen reflect light, etc.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 6/1/2021 at 2:51 PM, Sallily said:

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little advice on a program. 

So I was wondering if there is any such thing as a virtual green screen, let me explain. Say I took a video of me on a green background, almost the same color as a green screen. Is there any program I can use (I am on PC, but I have an ipad too) that will insert a different video into that green background? So like photoshoping me into a new image, but for a video. A editing software that can do this is fine too, I don't really mind as long as its free.

Thanks!

Digital cameras are most sensitive to green and as it is not a common colour in clothing and not found in skin tones, it is a good colour to use though any colour can be used. Blue is also common, but is used more with film cameras or if the subject contains green (like a plant).

This is absolutely possible and really enjoyable to be creative in the way you use it.

You can set up a green background (could be fabric, paper, paint. The more consistent the colour the better it works so creases, marks and any imperfections and inconsistencies in the colour should be avoided as much as possible for easier keying.)

Lighting is something to pay attention to as you want to not let the green screen affect the way the subject looks. Lighting the green screen separately (using a different light behind you) will cut out shadows - making the colour more consistent.

I personally use Premiere Pro (Ultra Key Effect) and After Effects (Key Light Effect, one of the best keying software in the world in my opinion) for mine but they are not free unfortunately. I think you can get a free trial, so you could try them if you want. Any good, intermediate to advanced video editing software should be able to do this. It might be called different things like Ultra Key, Green Key, Chroma Key, Could Key etc. Note: green is not the only colour this is possible with. You can select other colours. I wouldn't use black or white as there are other ways to remove them. Blender (blender.org) is a free software which I can do this. DaVinchi Resolve is a common video editor. The free version should be able to do this. Other free software this is possible to do in are: Openshot, VideoPad, iMovie, Lightworks, Hitfilm Express, Shotcut, VSDC ans more. (Make sure you download a genuine version of the software).

You can also get creative and play about with green screening like using it as an invisibility cloak by wearing it as a cloak and replacing the colour with a clear frame of the video that you aren't in (tripod needed for this).

Hope this helped