New EVGA G6 series

Juular

From the EVGA website : https://www.evga.com/articles/01485/evga-g6-psu/

From the markings on the gate drive transformer it looks like a Seasonic OEM, so something new. Also, from the layout it just looks like a Seasonic Focus smashed together a bit. No announcements from either yet.

platform.png.5d1c716dd386953547a9f0a8f56ac43d.png

Also, EVGA's marketing makes it look like they've added an additional OPP-type protection with shorter\longer window than usual, but perhaps it's just that they call 12V OCP an OPP.

hardware_chart.png.43111ec788bdc10dcfd7cbecc46dd190.png

PS: @jonnyGURUany info you know not bound by NDA ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Mao_Zedong01 said:

Looks good. EVGA is pretty solid. If you need a really short PSU then this is it.

You can't say that, there are no reviews. Also, speaking of really short (ATX) PSUs, there also a Super Flower Leadex V but there are no reviews on it either ...

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

From the EVGA website : https://www.evga.com/articles/01485/evga-g6-psu/

From the markings on the gate drive transformer it looks like a Seasonic OEM, so something new. Also, from the layout it just looks like a Seasonic Focus smashed together a bit. No announcements from either yet.

platform.png.5d1c716dd386953547a9f0a8f56ac43d.png

Also, EVGA's marketing makes it look like they've added an additional OPP-type protection with shorter\longer window than usual, but perhaps it's just that they call 12V OCP an OPP.

hardware_chart.png.43111ec788bdc10dcfd7cbecc46dd190.png

PS: @jonnyGURUany info you know not bound by NDA ?

I don't know anything about it, but I doubt it's Seasonic.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I don't know anything about it, but I doubt it's Seasonic.

How likely would you say something like highpower? Or is there anyone more likely to make something like this?

Just now, IIIIIIIIII said:

They also seem to be preparing for T6, G7, P7, etc. (on 80Plus).

EVGA G7 was announced a long time ago, before they 'broke up' with Super Flower, it was supposed to be a Leadex V, i wonder if they've since rebuilt that bridge.

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

How likely would you say something like highpower? Or is there anyone more likely to make something like this?

Could be High Power.  Could be anyone.  Just probably not Seasonic.

12 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Frankly, EVGA's lineup is a mess.

What the heck, they've just certified P3, P5, P6 and P7 all in 2021. EVGA, what are you doing ?!

b.thumb.PNG.601128f10592dc7c0ef79552212fa3f4.PNG

8 minutes ago, Juular said:

What the heck, they've just certified P3, P5, P6 and P7 all in 2021. EVGA, what are you doing ?!

As I´ve said before: EVGA is the new Xiaomi of PSUs, more quantity over quality

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

I am most curious if they will send all samples to Aris🤔

2 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Most likely: NO

AFAIK Aris buys all EVGA PSUs he tests

4 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

Unlikely, they haven't sent out anything in the past few years after explosive G3 reviews, time for Aris to create a Patreon. @crmaris

But speaking about that double-OPP thing, @jonnyGURU, does it even make sense ? I mean, i imagine that could be a solution for all these issues with transient-heavy GPUs. Super-fast OCP on 12V set to sky-high value for basically just complimenting a 12V SCP, fast 'hardware' OPP set higher than OPP is set currently, and slower 'firmware' OPP set to what OPP is set currently to not trip in situations where regular 'single'-OPP solution might trip because the window was too short. It's a cost adder, sure, but given that Corsair already uses an MCU for their high-end PSUs, could it be implemented there ?

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

But speaking about that double-OPP thing, @jonnyGURU, does it even make sense ?

They're just putting a marketing term to something that isn't that uncommon.

It's just as you think.  You have one trip point at a lower load at longer duration, then a higher trip point that is instantaneous.  Usually this is done with OCP, but the fact that they use the term "firmware" tells me that maybe they're using MCUs.

Just now, jonnyGURU said:

It's just as you think.  You have one trip point at a lower load at longer duration, then a higher trip point that is instantaneous.  Usually this is done with OCP, but the fact that they use the term "firmware" tells me that maybe they're using MCUs.

I get that, they even list OCP and double-OPP in the protections list. But could that actually work ? IIRC i've proposed something like that to you some time ago. And in the Corsair case that wouldn't even add any cost as there are already a MCU present. Have you considered this ?

38 minutes ago, Juular said:

I get that, they even list OCP and double-OPP in the protections list. But could that actually work ? IIRC i've proposed something like that to you some time ago. And in the Corsair case that wouldn't even add any cost as there are already a MCU present. Have you considered this ?

We already do this today.  We just don't market it as "double OPP" or "double OCP".  Because people don't know what that means unless they come to LTT and ask me.  😄

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

We already do this today.  We just don't market it as "double OPP" or "double OCP".  Because people don't know what that means unless they come to LTT and ask me.  😄

Huh, so Corsair PSUs with an MCU do have an OPP/OCP programmed into it ? What are tripping points set to in relation to regular OCP and OPP ? How fast it is acting in relation to them ?

Just now, Juular said:

Huh, so Corsair PSUs with an MCU do have an OPP/OCP programmed into it ? What are tripping points set to in relation to regular OCP and OPP ?

I'll have to dig that up.  But what I'm seeing right off the bat is primary OCP and OPP and secondary OCP.  Though I'm sure there's dual secondary OCP as well. 

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

I'll have to dig that up.  But what I'm seeing right off the bat is primary OCP and OPP and secondary OCP.  Though I'm sure there's dual secondary OCP as well. 

Lol, and Corsair marketing division doesn't know anything about that, a feature that could be actually useful for once in contrast with all that 'Japanese capacitors' crap ? Yeah, please do dig up, we would love to know more about that.

48 minutes ago, Juular said:

Lol, and Corsair marketing division doesn't know anything about that, a feature that could be actually useful for once in contrast with all that 'Japanese capacitors' crap ? Yeah, please do dig up, we would love to know more about that.

Derp derp keyboards go click click derp derp.  Gaming.

2 hours ago, Juular said:

Huh, so Corsair PSUs with an MCU do have an OPP/OCP programmed into it ? What are tripping points set to in relation to regular OCP and OPP ? How fast it is acting in relation to them ?

Ok.  So the RMi and HXi have dual OCP.  But I couldn't find the definition of the OCP points.  (too old)  

So, it seems they can implement dual OPP the same way RMi and HXi implement dual OCP.  You use the analog IC for the instant off and an MCU for the long off.  

Not a terrible idea, but I'm trying to figure out the use case.  I mean, we already learned that some of the spikes are fast enough to where the capacitance of the secondary caps is enough to keep the PSU up.

Maybe they reduced the secondary capacitance (notice the two missing secondary cap pads on the PCB) without sacrificing ripple, so they implemented the dual OPP to compensate for that.  Maybe this is an Andyson platform developed as an apology for the GA series?

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Maybe this is an Andyson platform developed as an apology for the GA series?

cough Seasonic cough

But yeah, this seems like an attempt to lower the transient sensitivity.

Great more meh psus coming your way.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

16 hours ago, Juular said:

I mean, didn't they release the 2 different BQ series, a B3, a BT and a BV around the same time a few years ago?

They do it because they know retailers will stock their shit, and each skew is given equal precedence on an online stores. Basically, it means when a consumer picks a random PSU (because consumers don't know PSUs), they have a much higher probability of it being an EVGA supply.

It might also be because of supply issues. So that also solves that problem.

They know exactly what they are doing. They know also know people will likely buy from an established brand over a not establish brand, so retails will pick their new skews over smaller brands skews.