Can I clean my laptop with a vaccume cleaner?

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

To properly clean out the laptop you need to open it. Otherwise you just blow the dust into the laptop and it will be sucked back to the vents. The legion 5 is easy to open so that isn't a problem.

The general rule with a vacuum cleaner is to not suck as that does generate a bit of static electricity. How I always clean laptops is use of compressed air, compressed air cans or something that blows a powerfull gust of air through a small nozzel (max 2bar of pressure as more can hurt a system by accident). Then use a brush to clean the fans and heatsinks + blowing some air interchangeable or at the same time depending on how hard the dust is to remove. It is ok if some stays just that the biggest parts are gone. So a vacuum cleaner with a blowing function is fine as long as the air can be concentrated a bit as otherwise it won't do much.

Warranty should not be void by opening a device or changing out parts. This does depend on your country. Always change things back to stock when sending it for warranty as it can either be rejected, the parts be removed or you lose the laptop + your added parts.

I recently bought my first ever laptop, Lenovo Legion 5i, 3 months ago and the dust has been building up on the back panel vents, we usually have excessive dust in India, and before it becomes too much I wanna know how to clean it as I have never owned a laptop before I don't know much about cleaning one.

So can I blow or suck using laptop without opening the laptop back?

Should I use a brush to brush off the dust? Does opening the back void warranty? Also, does changing parts like ram and ssd void warranty? (Slightly offtopic).

If you can please share more details other than the questions I asked if you feel like I need to know. Thanks.

Maybe take look at what people talked about here: Laptop & Desktop cleaning tips anyone ?

and yes you can use vaccume cleaner but i would never recommend it, because you could kill your hardware(static charge), compress air is one of the best solutions in my opinion.

To properly clean out the laptop you need to open it. Otherwise you just blow the dust into the laptop and it will be sucked back to the vents. The legion 5 is easy to open so that isn't a problem.

The general rule with a vacuum cleaner is to not suck as that does generate a bit of static electricity. How I always clean laptops is use of compressed air, compressed air cans or something that blows a powerfull gust of air through a small nozzel (max 2bar of pressure as more can hurt a system by accident). Then use a brush to clean the fans and heatsinks + blowing some air interchangeable or at the same time depending on how hard the dust is to remove. It is ok if some stays just that the biggest parts are gone. So a vacuum cleaner with a blowing function is fine as long as the air can be concentrated a bit as otherwise it won't do much.

Warranty should not be void by opening a device or changing out parts. This does depend on your country. Always change things back to stock when sending it for warranty as it can either be rejected, the parts be removed or you lose the laptop + your added parts.

45 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Also, does changing parts like ram and ssd void warranty? (Slightly offtopic).

Possibly also depends on the model. For example my laptop's manual explicitly mentions that the drive and RAM is user serviceable. A previous model had two RAM sticks, one behind a cover, the other below the keyboard. The manual explicitly stated that the second one was not user serviceable (didn't stop me from replacing it though).

For a model where stuff is soldered I'd say the answer is a clear yes (voids warranty).

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It's better to open the laptop and cleaning it by blowing air instead of vacuum cleaning it, because if you just vacuum cleaning it through ventilation hole there a chance not all of the dust get sucked

01110100 01101000 01100001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 00110111 00110000 00100000 01101001 01101110 01100011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01101100 01100001 01110011 01101101 01100001 00100000 01110011 01100011 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110100 01110110

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2