Linus! I do not want to use Storage Spaces anymore. Is that possible?

Did you notice that this folks at Microsoft Storage Space did not thought to a eject button?

And if you make a pool there is no way out! you lose the data (you will end up losing some of the data and time).

Is like a house, you put the data in but you can't take it out without losing data integrity. There is no door out

links

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-do-not-want-to-use-storage-spaces-anymore-is/dfae5e86-271d-440a-98b8-6d057909db20

its not how storage spaces works that is teh probolem.

it uses teh raid protocol, which works in a way that (afaik) you cant disassemble the array

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

What do you mean by eject?

Do you wnt to move the whole array from the pc hot?

Do you want to remove a drive from the pool. You can do that.

I do NOT whant to remove a drive from the pool

I whant to remove the data out from the pool.

The point is You cannot remove the drive and retain your data intact.

you have a HDD, you make a pool.

Now I do not what the pool anymore. I want my data back.

Now you can't get your data back to the HDD as it was before. Not hot.

As it is in the pool. 

You need to copy all the data out at the "file level".

And copying large amount of TB implies failure, not preserving important date of creation for copyright, not making checksum etc. And later you need to double check if the pool is exactly as the copy by making a separate checksum and compare. If you make a "move" of days can fail in the middle creating a bigger problem. You can't clone because there is Storage Spaces encapsulation.

Is missing a dismount pool option to preserve into the HDD, or one of the disk in the pool, all the data that it is in the pool. Taking the Storage Spaces encapsulation aout from the HDD.

You can't

1 minute ago, Alan Mattano said:

The point is You cannot remove the drive and retain your data.

you have a HDD, you make a pool.

Now I do not what the pool anymore. I want my data back.

Now you can't get your data back to the HDD as it was before. Not hot.

As it is in the pool. 

You need to copy all the data out.

And copying large amount of TB implies failure, not preserving importan date of creation for copyright, not making check sum etc. And later you need to double check if the pool is exactly as the copy by making a separate checksume or compare.

Is missing a dismount pool option to preserve into the HDD, or one of the disk in the pool, all the data that it is in the pool. Taking the Storage Spaces encapsulation aout from the HDD.

You can't

THats how storage spaces(and basically every other raid solution is setup). The data is stored different on disk that a normal partition stores data.

This really isn't a risk to data as you should have backups of your data so copying errors won't cause data loss. 

Also you don't want to depend on file data for copyright, you can also copy the file creation data(and set it to any value if you want too).

Is exactly what I mean.

It fails in its intention by design.

But if there was a "Remove disk from pool and keep data in disk" option, then there is no problem. All works fine.

But there is no such option.

You trust your data in a 2 way mirror and later it tells you. Now you can't go out. THE only option is to upgrade space. Or make a second copy of your  2 way mirror with 4 HDD and another copy second PC if just first fails etc. 

Is ridiculous. 

I do not what to use Storage Spaces any more.

Is not possible. 

I will lose at least date created.

1 minute ago, Alan Mattano said:

Is exactly what I mean.

It fails in its intention by design.

But if there was a "Remove disk from pool and keep data in disk" option, then there is no problem. All works fine.

But there is no such option.

You trust your data in a 2 way mirror and later it tells you. Now you can't go out. THE only option is to upgrade space. Or make a second copy of your  2 way mirror with 4 HDD and another copy second PC if just first fails etc. 

Is ridiculous. 

I do not what to use Storage Spaces any more.

Is not possible. 

I will lose at least date created.

Basiclly other raid system works this way. You can't just have a multidisk pool and remove one disk.

Since you have 2 disks in the mirror, you can just remove one disk and get ll the data from it in this case.

Your not losing data due to storage spaces, your losing data since you don't have good backups of your data.

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Basiclly other raid system works this way. You can't just have a multidisk pool and remove one disk.

Since you have 2 disks in the mirror, you can just remove one disk and get ll the data from it in this case.

Your not losing data due to storage spaces, your losing data since you don't have good backups of your data.

I'm talking about Storage Spaces 2-way mirror.

using two HDD. I'm not talking about having an extra 3° HDD or good backup or two disk in RAID 1. I'm talking about how Storage Spaces is build and how the UI works. I don't care if common practice other raid system works this way.

Storage Spaces must warn you in first place that you can't take out the data from the pool ⚠️ Before making the pool not after.

In other words, Is like saying. You need a parachute in case the engine fails. You put your parachute on you. Well now I do not need the parachute anymore, I will walk. Can I take it off? Nop! you will go with it forever or clone you without the parachute.

Is fundamentally very stupid and I presume also inmoral! In Windows you lose the data making a copy of a disk to another. Date of creation is important for me as well as knowing is the exactly same copy. A move option I can rely on.

Or there is something that I'm missing?

37 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also you don't want to depend on file data for copyright, you can also copy the file creation data(and set it to any value if you want too).

date of creation for copyright or just for me. 🙃

I wisht to have proper date of creation at some point all my 1900s file are always badly 2021! bat that is another Windows bug since beta 1 for another thread.

18 minutes ago, Alan Mattano said:

I'm talking about Storage Spaces 2-way mirror.

using two HDD. I'm not talking about having an extra 3° HDD or good backup or two disk in RAID 1. I'm talking about how Storage Spaces is build and how the UI works. I don't care if common practice other raid system works this way.

Storage Spaces must warn you in first place that you can't take out the data from the pool.⚠️

In other words, Is like saying. You need a parachute in case the engine fails. You put your parachute on you. Well now I do not need the parachute anymore, I will walk. Can I take it off? Nop! you will go with it forever or clone you without the parachute.

Is fundamentally very stupid and I presume also inmoral! In Windows you lose the data making a copy of a disk to another. Date of creation is important for me as well as knowing is the exactly same copy. A move option I can rely on.

Or there is something that I'm missing?

with a 2 disk raid 1, you can get all the data from either disk, so this really isn't a problem here.

14 minutes ago, Alan Mattano said:

date of creation for copyright or just for me. 🙃

I wisht to have proper date of creation at some point all my 1900s file are always badly 2021! bat that is another Windows bug since beta 1 for another thread.

You can just set the metadata to have whatever date you want on a file. And when you copy files to backups or between drives to copy the date with the files, so that shoudln't be a issue here.

This really seems like a non issue to me, have good backups, and you won't lose data.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can get all the data ...from either disk

How?

2 minutes ago, Alan Mattano said:

How?

Take one of the drives in the mirror, plug it into a computer with win 8+ and then it shows up a degraded pool with a virtual disk. Should be plug and play.

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

degraded pool with a virtual disk

Let's say one day Windows 10 will run in my brain.

My memories will end up in a degraded virtual pool 🤣

20 minutes ago, Alan Mattano said:

And then? 😏 💫 💥

you can read all the data from that other computer using a single drive from the pool.

And will have a Storage Spaces encapsulation degraded pool. So I need to take it out by copy and past, cloning no, or move? I'm in the same level of issue as before in Storage Spaces. Or there is an improvement using Windows 8 🙃