How do I lubricate my keyboard switches?

I want to try lubing my switches and everything to improve the feel and sound, as well as trying to reduce the spring echo... I have a Redragon K550 with some sort of purple switches... But I am COMPLETELY new to this concept and I don't even know if my switches are removable or what kind they are. Any information or steps or tips would he greatly appreciated.

In general, no, unless it's 5 years old and you life in a dusty place.

Keyboard switches are pretty isolated from dust.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

In general, no, unless it's 5 years old and you life in a dusty place.

Keyboard switches are pretty isolated from dust.

What did any of that have to do with dust?

To answer your question, watch this and see if that's worth it to you:

Don't skip the disclaimer lol.

Hey there.

2 hours ago, Aaralli said:

I don't even know if my switches are removable or what kind they are. Any information or steps or tips would he greatly appreciated.

Seems like the switches are soldered to the board:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Redragon K550 - PCB Underside

The image is terribad (screenshot from YT), but the pins seem to be capped with solder. 748523241848438794.png?v=1

SourceYouTube (Timestamp: 3:51).

The switches are "removable" in the most literal sense of the word, though you'll need a soldering iron and a solder sucker/solder wick to remove the solder from the switch pins.

As for switch identification, they seem to be colloquially known as Outemu "Purple" switches:

Spoiler

71Yf6Ef-ajL.png

Outemu "Purple" Switches

"Purple" is in quotation marks, because Outemu does manufacture an "Ice Light/Dark Purple" switch, but I'm doubtful whether the Redragon variant and the Ice Light/Dark Purple switches are one and the same. Stem color and housing colors are different, for instance.

There is documentation/sources on Outemu Ice Light/Dark Purple switches; not so much for the Outemu "Purple" switches found on the Redragon K550.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

5 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

So I watched the video, and I'd really like to take the switches apart and try it that way, if it's possible. How do I find out if things are soldered or not?

5 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

I just saw the other response to my question, nevermind.

2 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Seems like the switches are soldered to the board:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Redragon K550 - PCB Underside

The image is terribad (screenshot from YT), but the pins seem to be capped with solder. 748523241848438794.png?v=1

SourceYouTube (Timestamp: 3:51).

The switches are "removable" in the most literal sense of the word, though you'll need a soldering iron and a solder sucker/solder wick to remove the solder from the switch pins.

As for switch identification, they seem to be colloquially known as Outemu "Purple" switches:

Reveal hidden contents

71Yf6Ef-ajL.png

Outemu "Purple" Switches

"Purple" is in quotation marks, because Outemu does manufacture an "Ice Light/Dark Purple" switch, but I'm doubtful whether the Redragon variant and the Ice Light/Dark Purple switches are one and the same. Stem color and housing colors are different, for instance.

There is documentation/sources on Outemu Ice Light/Dark Purple switches; not so much for the Outemu "Purple" switches found on the Redragon K550.

Thanks for the information. I'll probably hold off on lubricating things until I have a nicer keyboard. I was thinking of potentially going for Corsair eventually 

7 hours ago, Aaralli said:

I just saw the other response to my question, nevermind.

Thanks for the information. I'll probably hold off on lubricating things until I have a nicer keyboard. I was thinking of potentially going for Corsair eventually 

Uhhh welll.... 

Most people wouldn't consider a corsair keeb much of an upgrade if at all. You have a budget for a keeb that you might want to go for in the future? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

21 hours ago, geo3 said:

🤔

16 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Uhhh welll.... 

Most people wouldn't consider a corsair keeb much of an upgrade if at all. You have a budget for a keeb that you might want to go for in the future? 

I don't know exactly how much nicer or not Corsair is, I've just heard really good things about their keyboards. Plus, I'm a ducker for RGB and I already have fans and an AIO in my system on a Commander Pro. Do Corsair keyboards have easily removable key switches, if I wanted to lubricate those? (Easily meaning without desoldering)

2 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

Do Corsair keyboards have easily removable key switches

No. They are soldered.  You will specifically need toe get a board marketed as hotswap if you don't want to mess with soldering. Or find one with a plate that allows switch top opening which is usually only found on customs.