do you really need the 16" macbook if so why?

Go to solution Solved by Roswell,
9 hours ago, Haraikomono said:

my point is, that you could do most work easily with a 13"

Many Mac users work for design firms, independently design and so on... right? Doing any type of professional design on a 13 inch screen is a nightmare. I would never touch a sub 15 inch screen with a 10 foot pole while I work.

so the verdict is then, people like to show off with a 16"? since fornheavy work you wouldnt want to use a laptop.

No, people like to have a functional and portable machine that suits their needs. Not everyone has your job and not everyone can sit stationary at their desk for their job. I have proposals I need to show clients in person (or at least I did pre pandemic), I need to take my machine with me if I travel, I need to be able to work and finalize stuff if I don't have access to a power outlet, etc etc.

In addition, people also require more than 16GB of memory or a dedicated video card. I need both... When I work with gigabyte upon gigabytes of assets and layers in a PSD I need the memory to back it up. I need something more than the M1 integrated graphics for 3D rendering... while the chip in there is fine and dandy, it gets walked all over by a dedicated card, especially one with as much memory as mine.

Finally, I need x86 support, flat out. I'm not running Parallels (or any other VM for that matter) with ARM Windows which has zero app support.

In closing... Try to remember that the world doesn't revolve around your specific job's requirements. Everyone does different things with different needs. It's cool to be happy with your purchase, but don't let your insecurity project onto others by saying anyone that has something nicer than you is just "showing off". That's silly.

I use a 13" m1 mac for some time now, and I am really satisfied with the experience so far as a dev and admin.

why would you go for a 16"?

If you want a bigger screen.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

If you want a bigger screen and seemingly more ports that the new one is supposed to have.

Why not even go 18+? I mean to be bigger than most Windows laptops? And make special name for it like "MacGreatBook".

5 minutes ago, LevelGD said:

Why not even go 18+? I mean to be bigger than most Windows laptops? And make special name for it like "MacGreatBook".

yeah, but its a macbook. if you are using it to do work, you dont really want to carry a hefty and bulky device around.

14 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If you want a bigger screen and seemingly more ports that the new one is supposed to have.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

64gb of ram, bigger screen, faster cpu + gpu, more storage, better io.

so the verdict is then, people like to show off with a 16"? since fornheavy work you wouldnt want to use a laptop.

5 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

not true at all. a bigger screen can be useful in a lot of cases and 16" is still a very portable device. a ton of people NEED to use laptops for heavy work because of commutes or jobs or a lot of other factors

6 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

but why would you use 13 if you would benefit more from 16 in your use case

6 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

yeah, but its a macbook. if you are using it to do work, you dont really want to carry a hefty and bulky device around.

16 inches isnt heavy and bulky lol. macbooks are known for being thin and lightweight and a 16 inch macbook would easily fit in to almost any backpack.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

A 16in laptop is way more portable than a desktop, and there are a lot of uses where you want a portable faster system(showing work to clients, working on site, going to meetings, work from home). Also lots of offices are moving to laptop + dock instead of a standard desktop, even for almost all desktop use.

51 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

I use a 13" m1 mac for some time now, and I am really satisfied with the experience so far as a dev and admin.

why would you go for a 16"?

Different fields can benefit from larger screens.

If you're a media editing professional, you'll absolutely need that extra real estate. DJs often need it for live mixing. Hell, as someone who regularly juggles multiple windows for writing work I could benefit from it!

The thing to remember: your personal experience doesn't represent everyone. Yes, a 13- or 14-inch MacBook will arguably be enough for most people, but there are many who would find that too small and have room for more in their bags. Others just use their laptop like a desktop and don't want to hook up an external display just to get an expansive view.

43 minutes ago, Haraikomono said:

This can easily be flipped around too: "13 inch is too small for the work I do".

Really it comes down to the user. They decide what they want in the end not you or I.

Many Mac users work for design firms, independently design and so on... right? Doing any type of professional design on a 13 inch screen is a nightmare. I would never touch a sub 15 inch screen with a 10 foot pole while I work.

No, people like to have a functional and portable machine that suits their needs. Not everyone has your job and not everyone can sit stationary at their desk for their job. I have proposals I need to show clients in person (or at least I did pre pandemic), I need to take my machine with me if I travel, I need to be able to work and finalize stuff if I don't have access to a power outlet, etc etc.

In addition, people also require more than 16GB of memory or a dedicated video card. I need both... When I work with gigabyte upon gigabytes of assets and layers in a PSD I need the memory to back it up. I need something more than the M1 integrated graphics for 3D rendering... while the chip in there is fine and dandy, it gets walked all over by a dedicated card, especially one with as much memory as mine.

Finally, I need x86 support, flat out. I'm not running Parallels (or any other VM for that matter) with ARM Windows which has zero app support.

In closing... Try to remember that the world doesn't revolve around your specific job's requirements. Everyone does different things with different needs. It's cool to be happy with your purchase, but don't let your insecurity project onto others by saying anyone that has something nicer than you is just "showing off". That's silly.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20