Clearance for wifi card and PCI-e 16x

cyanbenie

I have an MSI A320M-A Pro Max and a Palit GTX 1660 super and I don't think theres a clearance between the PCI-e 1x. how do i add a wifi card cause it doesn't seem to fit.

1159396254_gpuclearance.thumb.jpg.a603a718f5f40e6382f382fca33abec5.jpg

Get a usb wifi.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Is there a reason you need a pcie wifi card?

Can you not go for a USB one? They might be a touch slower, but not by a huge amount.

I used to work as a tech and consultant, now I've become an odd person who plays dress-up and calls themselves a theatre maker.

My Rig: Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450 Pro4 | Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 16GB 3200Mhz | Asus TUF GeForce 1660 Super OC | Corsair Carbide 175r | XPG Core Reactor 750W
Keyboard Corsair K55 | Mouse Corsair Harpoon | Sound AKG 52 Headphones,

6 minutes ago, MartinTheActor said:

Is there a reason you need a pcie wifi card?

Can you not go for a USB one? They might be a touch slower, but not by a huge amount.

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Get a usb wifi.

does a usb wifi have bluetooth though?

Just now, cyanbenie said:

There are dongles that have it. Here is one.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, cyanbenie said:

Getting a separate bluetooth dongle might be cheaper.

A random 5.0 only cost $5.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Getting a separate bluetooth dongle might be cheaper.

A random 5.0 only cost $5.

Range will be worse on a USB dongle but there isn't much of a choice here.

Its a shame the board doesn't have a second M.2 slot rather than the PCIe x1.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 5/7/2021 at 5:33 AM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Range will be worse on a USB dongle but there isn't much of a choice here.

Its a shame the board doesn't have a second M.2 slot rather than the PCIe x1.

hey its me again, I don't have a M.2 SSD on my system so technically speaking I can just get a M.2 wifi card and it would fit on my motherboard?

26 minutes ago, cyanbenie said:

hey its me again, I don't have a M.2 SSD on my system so technically speaking I can just get a M.2 wifi card and it would fit on my motherboard?

It should, but Bluetooth wouldn't work as that runs over USB.

You'd also have to buy and find a way to mount the antenna sockets.  May be tricky finding ones with long enough cables to reach the M.2 slot.  Its certainly likely to work out more expensive but likely with better WiFi reception, so its a trade off.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

Finds official mobo photo.

Why do they design mATX boards like this these days?  They should allow four slots, I understand giving one up for the NVME, but this one puts the x1 directly under the x16, and omits the bottom slot entirely?  Why even put in an x1 slot at all as you can assume a dual slot GPU will likely go into the x16???

It's like a 'Fuck You' from the designer or something.

spacer.png

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 5/11/2021 at 3:56 AM, cyanbenie said:

No. WiFi cards are keyed differently than Storage drives from my understanding. So if you dont have the right M.2 slot it wont work. Outside of ITX boards many motherboards dont support WiFi right out of the box/ dont have the proper M.2 Slot. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

No. WiFi cards are keyed differently than Storage drives from my understanding. So if you dont have the right M.2 slot it wont work. Outside of ITX boards many motherboards dont support WiFi right out of the box/ dont have the proper M.2 Slot. 

Yes they are keyed differently, but it doesn't necessarily stop it working unless its outright incompatible (eg M.2 sockets that only have SATA rather than PCIe).

There's a few people on my laptop WiFi upgrading thread who ended up putting their WiFi card in the M.2 NVMe socket on their laptops for example because the WiFi socket was locked to CNVIo v1 only cards.

19 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Finds official mobo photo.

Why do they design mATX boards like this these days?  They should allow four slots, I understand giving one up for the NVME, but this one puts the x1 directly under the x16, and omits the bottom slot entirely?  Why even put in an x1 slot at all as you can assume a dual slot GPU will likely go into the x16???

spacer.png

I'd say the fuck you came from gpu makers deciding that 2 and 3 slots cards are ok. After all, the atx slot spacing was specified long before big boy gpu's. 

Just now, Blue4130 said:

I'd say the fuck you came from gpu makers deciding that 2 and 3 slots cards are ok. After all, the atx slot spacing was specified long before big boy gpu's. 

Do you want to cool the GPU? Thats why they are 2 or 3 slots wide. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Do you want to cool the GPU? Thats why they are 2 or 3 slots wide. 

Yes I know why they did it. But they did it full well knowing that they would Bork compatiblity. Such is life. We make sacrifice based on what we deem more important. 

On 5/11/2021 at 11:43 PM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

While there is a standard, motherboard manufacturers can choose to leave out or add components to their own lineup.

Their low budget version might have less PCIe ports than their more expensive alternatives. They're just targeting different consumers who should purchase with room for future upgradability. Unfortunately, we don't always think like that or the motherboard is already part of an entire system that we bought already.

On 5/11/2021 at 2:56 AM, cyanbenie said:

You can try. Intel has a AX200 kit with antennae and bracket that you can mount at the back of the case. But as mentioned before, you'll lose Bluetooth, but that can be added with a simple USB adapter.

Have you considered using a riser cable? Not sure if you'd have enough space between a PCIe x1 card contact points and the motherboard PCB to run the x1 adapter to the slot behind the GPU.