Post Removed

MADMINK

200 what? I got my Dali Spektor 1 for €200 I believe and my Wharfedale Diamond 220 on sale for a little below €200. Pretty happy with both. The Wharfedales sound a little deeper and bassier, the Dali's sound neutral to me. Not sure if they'll deal well with the typically very thin clamp on wires though.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

I'm wondering if Klipsch Mr41s would be good. 

Like Tikker said, I'd take a look at the Dali Spektor 1 or 2.

The Tangent Spectrum X5, Fyne F300 and Wharfdale Diamond 12.0 would also be good options aswell.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Parts Express has some cheap bookshelf speakers that sound fine enough.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-6-1-2-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-300-652

I have those on my desk powered by an old Hitachi SR-603. The AMT tweeter version is supposed to sound a little nicer.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-AIR-6-1-2-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-with-AMT-Tweeter-300-651

I added a little acoustic fill to mine and I think they sound good enough using them on my desk flanking my monitor with a sub under the desk as a foot rest.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Parts Express has some cheap bookshelf speakers that sound fine enough.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-6-1-2-2-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-300-652

I have those on my desk powered by an old Hitachi SR-603. The AMT tweeter version is supposed to sound a little nicer.

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-B652-AIR-6-1-2-Bookshelf-Speaker-Pair-with-AMT-Tweeter-300-651

I added a little acoustic fill to mine and I think they sound good enough using them on my desk flanking my monitor with a sub under the desk as a foot rest.

I really wouldn't touch them. They're fine for what they cost, but it's still a speaker with quite a few design issues. I can only think of a few times when running a woofer full-range has worked out well, and this isn't one of them. Again, it's a $25 speaker. You get what you pay for. 

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html

I would be cautious about the AMT version. Having designed around AMTs before, getting a good implementation with AMTs is a good deal harder than with a well-behaved dome tweeter. 

I don't think you can do much better at $25 per speaker and you can certainly spend more to get less also. For casual media consumption especially if you're using a not so high end amp and motherboard audio there will be much much worse parts of the audio system than the speakers.

My Pioneer Reciever is really powerful. Turning volume 25 percent causes sub to vibrate my room. Speakers are loud too, but lacking clarity. They are just sony bookshelves.

My speakers connect via AWG.

On 5/6/2021 at 7:02 AM, tikker said:

200 what? I got my Dali Spektor 1 for €200 I believe and my Wharfedale Diamond 220 on sale for a little below €200. Pretty happy with both. The Wharfedales sound a little deeper and bassier, the Dali's sound neutral to me. Not sure if they'll deal well with the typically very thin clamp on wires though.

I have a new updated post. Can you take a look at it.? Posted about 7 hours ago.

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

What's the model number of the receiver?

It's not super relevant for this, as most receivers will handle most reasonable speaker loads, and those speakers that are a punishing load will be a poor match for most receivers. The exceptions to this are some of the "monster" receivers like the Pioneer SX1250 (there are others as well), but such receivers are relatively rare and are very expensive, and if they haven't been rebuilt, they probably need it.

If you fall in love with speakers that are a punishing load, then we need to talk about dedicated power amplifiers, and I will be the first one to steer in the direction of professional equipment designed for driving difficult loads, particularly QSC, Crest and MC2 class AB or class H amplifiers.

Note that the most punishing load is one that drops to very low impedances in the bass region while still being very reactive. The reactive component is key, since this demands a lot of current at low voltages, which is very hard on the output stage and can trigger SOA protection.

13 minutes ago, H713 said:

It's not super relevant for this, as most receivers will handle most reasonable speaker loads, and those speakers that are a punishing load will be a poor match for most receivers. The exceptions to this are some of the "monster" receivers like the Pioneer SX1250 (there are others as well), but such receivers are relatively rare and are very expensive, and if they haven't been rebuilt, they probably need it.

If you fall in love with speakers that are a punishing load, then we need to talk about dedicated power amplifiers, and I will be the first one to steer in the direction of professional equipment designed for driving difficult loads, particularly QSC, Crest and MC2 class AB or class H amplifiers.

Note that the most punishing load that drops to very low impedances in the bass region while still being very reactive. The reactive component is key, since this demands a lot of current at very low voltages, which is very hard on the output stage and can trigger various protection circuits.

It's relevant because if it's a really low end model there's no reason to pair with $200 speakers and $200 speakers may not actually sound any better if the problem isn't the speakers but the receiver. I grew up with a Pioneer VSX something, the exact model I can't recall. It sounded good but always had a harshness even with some soft Polk tweets. I much prefer the warmth of my old 70's Hitachi SR series. I know even lower tier Pioneer units (I have one here that I rarely use) are even worse in this regard. And feeding it from the motherboard audio, heck that could be the root of the whole issue! If that's a dirty signal then good speakers might just sound real bad too.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

It's relevant because if it's a really low end model there's no reason to pair with $200 speakers and $200 speakers may not actually sound any better if the problem isn't the speakers but the receiver. I grew up with a Pioneer VSX something, the exact model I can't recall. It sounded good but always had a harshness even with some soft Polk tweets. I much prefer the warmth of my old 70's Hitachi SR series. I know even lower tier Pioneer units (I have one here that I rarely use) are even worse in this regard. And feeding it from the motherboard audio, heck that could be the root of the whole issue! If that's a dirty signal then good speakers might just sound real bad too.

The speakers are always going to be a much bigger limitation than the amplifier. A pair of amazing speakers, say Quested H108s, paired with a $100 receiver (assuming it is able to drive them) will sound better than an MC2 / Bryston amplifier paired with your average $150 bookshelf speakers.

$200 speakers will be more limiting than almost any amplifier, unless the amplifier is severely limited in its output power or is dysfunctional in some other way. None of the pioneer equipment will be that bad.

Keep in mind, even a horrible power amplifier will have distortion below 1% and will be flat to within 1 dB over the audio spectrum- to do worse would be terrible even by vacuum tube standards. Even very good speakers often deviate by more than 1 dB, and their distortion is often well over 1% over the audio spectrum.