Buying a pre-built just for its parts

Hey all, would you recommend buying a pre-built PC just because it has a few parts you might like to take out (and can't find in the current market)? Can this be done with any PC?

I'm assuming you lose any warranty you might've had, but are there any other risks associated with this, maybe locked parts or parts that won't work with different parts from the pre-built ones, or something of that sort?

What prebuilt and what parts

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, davemc said:

What prebuilt and what parts

None in particular, I was just asking in general. But I guess you'd most likely do it for the GPU or CPU?

Just now, NewwGuyy123 said:

None in particular, I was just asking in general. But I guess you'd most likely do it for the GPU or CPU?

Sometimes it depends on what prebuilt, but in general you'll usually be able to do it.

For proprietary companies like Dell Acer ect you may not be able to reuse PSUs and Mobos

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

CPU and GPU are almost definitely fine, OEMs have nothing to do with CPUs and I've never heard of a locked graphics card. Ultimate I'd just wait out the iflated prices, but if you can find a cheap OEM and your in a pinch to get the parts, then most likely its fin.

Depends. If you're looking at Dell machines, the motherboard, PSU, case, etc are all proprietary. Even the cards are made specifically for them, so they're very basic generally blower designs. Same with HP. There's no other way to lock hardware. So you don't need to worry about anything like that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A gaming oriented Dell or HP will more likely to have standard Motherboards and PSUs.

Honestly. Why buy a PC and scrap it?

Unless you really hate the case, just use it. It is probably a better designed case and a better PSU (If it is Dell, HP, ASUS... Super budget names and Boutique builders are known to cheap out on PSUs) than a typical custom built gaming PC.

A non gaming oriented PC will not have a decent GPU.

If you don't like the storage configuration. Buy another HDD or SSD.

If you don't like how much RAM it has. Buy more RAM.

1 hour ago, comicsansms said:

Honestly. Why buy a PC and scrap it?

Because with the current situation it might be cheaper to buy a pre build and salvage the CPU and GPU than trying to get a GPU.

1 hour ago, Spindel said:

Because with the current situation it might be cheaper to buy a pre build and salvage the CPU and GPU than trying to get a GPU.

But why scrap it? Literally what is the point at buying something, using 1/2 of it, and replacing 1/2 of it with basically the same shit?

6 minutes ago, comicsansms said:

But why scrap it? Literally what is the point at buying something, using 1/2 of it, and replacing 1/2 of it with basically the same shit?

Yeah that is a really good question 🙂 

Edgecases maybe when you need some certain features of the motherboard or the voices in your head say you need a glass side panel and the carcass of a unicorn inside 😉 

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you want a new RTX GPU it can be a alternative way to getting one, but you may not get much for selling other parts. I saw a recent Dell G5 5000 as low as $400 without the GPU on Craigslist recently and even people trying to scalp the RTX 3060 for $1600.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W