Should you update bios?

Is it good idea to update to newest bios settings or is there no benefit of doing so? B450 S2H

Or new bio only for newer cpu's?

If it works fine and are stable its not really necessary, but BIOS updates sometimes has some slight performance/stability tweaks as well.

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

Could always cause some instability, or compatability issue. 

Generally, my rule is if there isn't a new feature or security update, don't update bios 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Check the support page for your motherboard to see what changed with newer BIOS updates. If there are lots of performance updates (like with X370 boards after they were released) then you might want to upgrade. But otherwise, keep your current version as long as it's stable.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

It's depends on many cases. What benefit do you expected?

Always is good idea to read BIOS description for particular (newest than your BIOS) version to see do you need that version or not.

Best to read the descriptions for the new bios releases. 

Your motherboard is with relatively old chipset and it's a value/budget board.  Being so old, what bugs may have been should be polished out by now, and most bios work will probably be focused on adding or improving support for Ryzen 5xxx processors or that pci-e feature which works only with newest video cards.

If you have an older generation  processor or an older video card, such updates won't bring you any benefit, won't make your computer faster, so you may ignore them for now, unless your computer has problems. 

If the description says "improved memory compatibility" or something like that... think about it... do you have now problems with your ram? do you get resets or errors in programs often, which could be a sign of motherboard having difficulties working with your ram?  If not, upgrading the bios most likely won't make a difference at all, so it's pointless risk. 

From time to time, AMD releases an update to AGESA which is a package of software, kind of like a tiny bios that's usually inside the CPU. 

New versions of agesa can bring small performance improvements or they can be just patches for vulnerabilities or bugs that may only happen only under certain conditions or scenarios you may never stumble upon (for example, when using virtualization and running multiple virtual machines on your computer)

I'd say if your computer works fine now, lean towards not updating your bios.