1Gb ethernet is it enough for you?

Alexdaman

So , we have SSD's that will saturate a S-ATA 6Gbs  and raid setups that will do easily  500MB p/s 

I easily saturate my 1GBe connection , when transfering 700gb+ data files its getting a bit slow for me .

10GBe is the future , but an 8 port switch is arround 1000euro so thats quite expensive + we need to change everything to CAT6 (not a big deal but annoyance)

or

4x1GBe trunking/teaming : its not so fast like 10GBe but its a 4 times improvement over 1GBe + cheap switches .

TLDR :

Are you in need of a better connection than 1GBe? Poll! and comments I am curious .

Even some ISP speeds go over 1GB a second 

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

Gb not GB :P Although i'd like to see 10GB in my network.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

id be good with 5Gb

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Isn't WIFI a part of ethernet?

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

WiFi uses the Ethernet data link protocol.

so WIFI, UTP and COAX are on the same level and all use ethernet?

Grammar nazis are people too!
Treat your local grammar nazi nicely and he might teach you a thing or two. (Note that I'm Belgian and not a native English speaker.)
Chivalry isn't dead!

multiple answers

I have 1Gb and 100Mb.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Isn't WIFI a part of ethernet?

Wifi is part of the same IEEE standard 802.XX yes. So it essentially uses the same technology. 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Since the only actual computer on my home network is mine, and my internet speed is 2 Mb/s down, even 10 Mbit Ethernet would probably do. But the house's wiring is meant for 1 Gbps. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

To be quite honest, you don't need anything more than 8Mbps really.

What will you be doing that requires more? Full HD 1080p takes up 5Mbps and downloading a game or an album doesn't need to be instant.

The only reason why you'd need more is if you were streaming 4k or for that matter, running a server, which you shouldn't be running off of a residential connection anyway.

So guys complaining about slow speeds like 

"Dude, what is your speed?"

"Awww, man, I only get 15 Mbps. Fuck Comcast, Fuck Obama, Fuck Copper infrastructure"

When really,they should be like:

"Man, I have a great connection, I can stream HD and it caters for everything me and my family could need"

It really is impatience that defines modern people. They blame others for their problems, they look elsewhere for better service which they aren't realistically going to need. People aren't going to utilise these connections. IDGAF about "Oh, my steam game took 5 hours to download". Whilst it was downloading, they could've gone outside instead of fapping etc.

Compatible with Windows 95

Why settle for the less..  ;)!

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

What will you be doing that requires more? Full HD 1080p takes up 5Mbps and downloading a game or an album doesn't need to be instant.

The only reason why you'd need more is if you were streaming 4k or for that matter, running a server, which you shouldn't be running off of a residential connection anyway.

"Awww, man, I only get 15 Mbps. Fuck Comcast, Fuck Obama, Fuck Copper infrastructure"

"Man, I have a great connection, I can stream HD and it caters for everything me and my family could need"

It really is impatience that defines modern people. They blame others for their problems, they look elsewhere for better service which they aren't realistically going to need. People aren't going to utilise these connections. IDGAF about "Oh, my steam game took 5 hours to download". Whilst it was downloading, they could've gone outside instead of fapping etc.

You're talking about internet speed the OP is talking about local Ethernet speed, the type of speed you have on your LAN to access files on a NAS, stream games via in-home-streaming I'd like to see anyone (who uses a NAS, ect.) cope with an 8Mbit LAN.

And I disagree that 8Mbps is good enough internet speed, you are not the measure of the world, perhaps it's good enough for a one person household who does one task online at a time and has plenty of time and money on their hands.  Those who are able to leave their computer on overnight while it downloads a film on iTunes or a game on Steam (3.5GB film would take an hour, 15GB game would take over 4 hours (this is at perfect speed, ever forbid that there is a glitch and it pauses the download so when you wake up the next morning wanting to play that movie/game you have to restart the download possibly from scratch)).  The extra electricity it would use by leaving said computer on (multiplied by thousands and millions of households because everyone has only 8Mbps), but even to an 'average' household, 4 people, all want to watch catch-up, iPlayer, 4oD, Netflix, Youtube, one wants to play a game, you soon have saturated the connection and it's all gone belly up.

Faster internet means less compromise allowing people to actually use the internet the way they want to, and the added benefits that come along with it, less electricity usage, you are able to go out for the evening instead of having to stay in to watch the TV, less waste from DVDs and VHSs going in landfill.  Then most importantly, future proofing, 10 years ago you probably would have said no-one needs more than 56 or 128kbit, by laying an infrastructure down that is by far more than adequate it saves a lot of time and money later on and allows people to access those services, by having an internet speed that is much faster than what is needed you take a lot of strain from the system because of the increase in bandwidth meaning the network can handle far more data, it's much better for the ISP (esp. mobile ISPs) to have you on the network for a short fast 'burst' than for you to take 4-5 hours to download a game all that time consuming valuable resources on their network.

Also there is no 'rule' saying 1080p video is 5Mbps, I have 1080p video right here that is double that, there is only compressed compromise (a-la Youtube), it's like saying SSD should be limited to HDD speeds, it's like saying the Ford Model T had 4 wheels and got you from A to B, why does anyone want anything better?

Convenience and technological advancement and future proofing are not bad things, they are very good things, like people who say "3G is good enough why do people want LTE", the world is bigger than any one person, one consumer is not representative of the entire industry or world.

In Core layer, 1gb is not enough.We must use 10G and etherchannel.According huanetwork.com, Highly scalable 10 GE ports with comprehensive onboard management and security features make the S6700 a flexible switch for use as an access device or core switch in a campus network. Combine with Huawei S5700 Gigabit Switches for cost-effective, energy-efficient support of server-based applications.

interesting response's .

I have decided im gonna wait a year , and hope that 10Gb over copper switches are below 500euro's , then I will do it probably .

Main Rig : i7 5960X - 16GB DDR4 LPX 2400mhz - Asus Rampage V - 980GTX Ti - AX1200i - 650D - H110 - 1TB 840 EVO SSD - 30 inch HP 1600p IPS + 2xHP 20 inch 1600x1200 PLP setup! - Oculus DK2 - Logitech G502 - Corsair K70 RGB - Fanatec GT3 Wheel

i7 3930K - 16GB DDR3 2133mhz - Asus Rampage IV - 2 x 680GTX - AX850 - 550D - H100i - 256GB 830 Pro SSD - 2713HM 1440p IPS - G5 -

i5 3570K - MSI SLI Z87 motherboard - 4GB Corsair 1600mhz - Adaptec 31205 - Dell Perc 5/i - Intel Quad PT1000 Gigabit Network Card - Loads of 4TB RED's - +-70tb total storrage - HX850watts - Ri-Vier 24bay 4 U case

I really hope you're joking. I am getting really sick and tired of this "we don't need more than X" argument that seems popular lately. "It's good enough" is NEVER a reason to stop improving. With that logic, we would still be stuck with single core processors and a few MB of RAM. I strongly disagree that 8Mbps is enough as well and @neon has already said why we need more.

To answer OP's question. I currently use 1Gbps. My NAS and end point devices aren't fast enough to handle more than ~70MBps so I still have some way to go before 1Gbps bottlenecks me.

My modem only supports Fast Ethernet, don't need more though, I RARELY transfer files from one computer to another, and my max speeds are 20 down and 1 up. Also, my computer is the only one on this network that uses Ethernet. My mum is on a different connection (Long story).