My friend's first ever build.

thab

I would like to build a white pc but would prefer performance over looks. I would like to clear some things. 

1) I like the processor, but should i upgrade it to a zen 3 chip since the motherboard supports zen 3?

2) Is 3600mhz on the memory good enough?

There were these two additional notes in the pcpartpicker:

3) NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable. Suggest me a board thats compatible with this issue please?

4) The Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it. I would be getting a new gpu early next year so is this going to be a problem now? I currently have a low end gpu.

Budget (including currency): $1100

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light gaming (APEX, Genshin). Some programming and designing.

Other details :

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nc4Rxc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($308.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($178.46 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($117.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $925.39

17 minutes ago, thab said:

I would like to build a white pc but would prefer performance over looks. I would like to clear some things. 

1) I like the processor, but should i upgrade it to a zen 3 chip since the motherboard supports zen 3?

3) NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case has a front panel USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port, but the Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard does not have sufficient USB 3.2 Gen 2 or Gen 1 headers. The case USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C port will not be usable. Suggest me a board thats compatible with this issue please?

4) The Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it. I would be getting a new gpu early next year so is this going to be a problem now? I currently have a low end gpu.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light gaming (APEX, Genshin). Some programming and designing.

Other details :

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($178.46 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($117.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Amazon) 

No GPU? Cause ryzen 7 don't come with integrated GPU, even though for light gaming you need a GPU or igpu.

20 minutes ago, thab said:

Other details :

If he is going for designing then get nvidia Quadro GPU which is made for designing and animation stuff.

OK so there is no GPU on the R7 but you have a decidcated already no matter how "good" it is it will work although not sure how your gaming will go on it, but its also probably the best your gonna get.

I downgraded the motherboard slightly to a ASUS PRIME B550, still has PCIE 4.0 etc and is fine but its $30 cheaper and the main difference seams to be theheatsinks and integrated heatsinks. It doesn't support the new USB3.2 header for type C but that being said you can get a cheap $5 to adapt a standard 3.0 to this.

I put the money saved into a better SSD, which is a 1TB PCIE 4.0 Saberant one.

I changed the power supply to a MSI 650W which is $15 more but is a fully modular and Teir A (Amazon link is broken but the newegg link works for me)
Changed the RAM to G. SKill Trident Z mainly because the rest of the build is black and your corsair RAM was white and would stand out more, also the G Skill is about $8 (with the rebate, $18 dollars without) cheaper and are just as good.

As for the CPU I would love to say get a Zen 3/5000 Series but your chances of getting one at MSRP is about the same chance as you winning the lottery so I would say but a 3700X at the moment and upgrade to one when you don't need to sell your kindey just to have the pleasure of thinking about buying one.

10 minutes ago, Crafter King said:

If he is going for designing then get nvidia Quadro GPU which is made for designing and animation stuff.

Depends on how into he is, as at the moment no one can get any GPUs and the quadros are really expensive, and considering this PC costs about $1000, I have a feeling a quadro isn't in the budget unless  they buy one secondhand.

18 minutes ago, Crafter King said:

No GPU? Cause ryzen 7 don't come with integrated GPU, even though for light gaming you need a GPU or igpu.

As for the integrated Graphics he said they have a cheap low end GPU, this is probably not good enough for everything they wanna do but they should save their money and wait till they can actually buy something decent.

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

11 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

change this for a p360a

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler