My router has a local IP adress in WAN settings

Tide redshift

Hello smart people,

I have a problem: I have a modem from my ISP that i have bridged with my own router (to get full control over my network). I receive my internet signal via a coaxial cable and is connected to the ISP modem. I enabled the bridging setting of my ISP modem (to disable any routing logics) and i had to enter my MAC address of my router which worked fine. I connected the coaxial cable to the modemof my ISP. Then i connected from the ISP modem WAN port to my own router's LAN port.

Now inside my ISP's modem i can see the WAN ip as my public IP address and my own router's WAN IP address is the local address of my ISP modem.

I spider senses are telling me that my ISP's modem is also doing some routing stuff (as the ISP modem has an ip like 192.168.0.XXX and my own router has an IP like 192.168.1.XXX)

Did i connect my ISP modem and my router correctly? (WAN to LAN port?) Or is there another setting i have to toggle on or off?

I want that the ISP modem only passes the public ip to my own router and not assign a local ip address.. (sub domain?)

Muchas gracias!

Your findings are correct, you IPS modem only makes the connection to the outside network (wan) and your own router is going to have to do the rest (the internal network). It sounds like you are missing an dhcp server, maybe you can find this setting on the router. What isp do you have and what router would you like to use?

If you're going for a bridge, then you need to connect WAN to WAN.

Also keep in mind that each port on your router has a different MAC address. So if you had to put that one in, make sure you put in the MAC address of the WAN interface.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro