Good 1TB 2.5 HDD

Kanna

I’m looking for a 2.5 1TB HDD that I will be using in a custom external enclosure with my xbox one could someone help me find a good one that will last me long and isn’t too loud / vibrating, I live in Sweden so preferably something that is sold here 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

I mean that would solve my problem except that I will have a junk enclosure just lying

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

10 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Missed external hdd, get that one works well.

Id really get a ssd here, not much more, but faster, more reliable, silent, lower power.

Otherwise, there all about the same, get the cheaper of the wd blue/seagate barracuda.

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I mean that would solve my problem except that I will have a junk enclosure just lying

https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product/44Gj4D/seagate-barracuda-1tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm010
Here is the 2TB version since it's not that much more
https://se.pcpartpicker.com/product/mwrYcf/seagate-barracuda-computer-2-tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm008

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You don't want thoat, the usb port is soldered to the board.

Id really get a ssd here, not much more, but faster, more reliable, silent, lower power.

Otherwise, there all about the same, get the cheaper of the wd blue/seagate barracuda.

Would the xbox one really get a boost with an SSD tho? Edit : a SSD on 1TB is 700KR more

3 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

Mind reading the post again

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

Would the xbox one really get a boost with an SSD tho?

Assuming games are on it, load times should a reasonble amount faster.

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Loading time? absolutely.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Assuming games are on it, load times should a reasonble amount faster.

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Loading time? absolutely.

I have seen comparisons and the xbox one doesn’t seem to be optimized for it resulting in not so big change also I don’t want to pay so much for an SSD but it’s so much more in cost

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Mind reading the post again

They make 2.5 versions, they are best bang for buck. 

I would strongly suggest a 1TB SSD but if you insist on an HDD, I'd get a WD Blue. For the love of god, avoid Seagate drives if you at all care about the data on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I would strongly suggest a 1TB SSD but if you insist on an HDD, I'd get a WD Blue. For the love of god, avoid Seagate drives if you at all care about the data on it.

Well I don’t insist in HDD but I really don’t want to shell out so much on a SSD, I’m sweating now since my PC has a 4TB seagate

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I have seen comparisons and the xbox one doesn’t seem to be optimized for it resulting in not so big change also I don’t want to pay so much for an SSD but it’s so much more in cost

Well depending on the game. With ssd you can use it in your pc later if you're done with it.

image.png.235ffdf16e653b92618a7ae3e39551b3.png

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Well I don’t insist in HDD but I really don’t want to shell out so much on a SSD, I’m sweating now since my PC has a 4TB seagate

Seagate drives really aren't that bad, and fail at about the same rate as other brands. Just make sure to have backups.

Id just get a ssd like this guy, and a 2.5in usb enclosure for ithttps://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX500-NAND-2-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B07YD579WM/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=1tb+ssd&qid=1618868377&sr=8-5

But the external hdds will work, get the cheapest one, there all about the same.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well depending on the game. With ssd you can use it in your pc later if you're done with it.

image.png.235ffdf16e653b92618a7ae3e39551b3.png

I play no games on that chart I play more GTA V and cod games 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Seagate drives really aren't that bad, and fail at about the same rate as other brands. Just make sure to have backups.

Id just get a ssd like this guy, and a 2.5in usb enclosure for ithttps://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX500-NAND-2-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B07YD579WM/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=1tb+ssd&qid=1618868377&sr=8-5

But the external hdds will work, get the cheapest one, there all about the same.

Does that SSD have dram cache? Also my PC will already have a pretty big SSD

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

GTA V

Especially this game, this game loads forever.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Seagate drives really aren't that bad, and fail at about the same rate as other brands.

Bs, even forgetting that quite literally every Barracuda I've ever purchased has either been DOA or failed within 12 months of purchase, many others have similar experiences with their drives. I recommend looking at Backblaze's drive stats (and this is just for 2020!):

Spoiler

Drive-Stats-2020-2020-Table-1.jpg

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/hard-drive-test-data.html

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Especially this game, this game loads forever.

It takes no more than 1 minute to load online for me

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

no dram, but it really won't matter here, your gonna be usb limited anyways.

Hmm maybe but idk if it’s worth 1000kr to load games maybe 10 sec faster 

Reminder⚠️

got one:

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Bs, even forgetting that quite literally every Barracuda I've ever purchased has either been DOA or failed within 12 months of purchase, many others have similar experiences with their drives. I recommend looking at Backblaze's drive stats (and this is just for 2020!):

Hide contents

You made me worried af right now as I have a 4TB seagate in my PC rn

Reminder⚠️

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Reveal hidden contents

What is your sample size?

Looking at that same backblaze data, seagate is at about 2% and the average is about 1.6%. A bit worse, but far from much worse

Also backblaze samples isn't the same as these drives OP is looking at either.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is your sample size?

Looking at that same backblaze data, seagate is at about 2% and the average is about 1.6%. A bit worse, but far from much worse

Also backblaze samples isn't the same as these drives OP is looking at either.

My anecodtal evidence (and many other people on this forum) would dispute your claims with lower end drives such as the Barracudas that OP would likely be buying.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

got one:

So 1 that video is before the like patch to load faster and it’s 5400RPM HDD if I got a one I would get a 7200RPM (not big difference but still)

Reminder⚠️

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

My anecodtal evidence (and many other people on this forum) would dispute your claims with lower end drives such as the Barracudas that OP would likely be buying.

I have the other anecodtal evidence. Toshiba and WD drives have been failing much more in the sample of hundreds of drives in PCs at work.

But anyways, the failure rate between brands is pretty close, I wouldn't avoid seagate  or any other brand due to this.