Good 1TB 2.5 HDD

Kanna
7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have the other anecodtal evidence. Toshiba and WD drives have been failing much more in the sample of hundreds of drives in PCs at work.

But anyways, the failure rate between brands is pretty close, I wouldn't avoid seagate  or any other brand due to this. 

So what should I get?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

So what should I get?

Do you want a hdd or ssd?

For ssd, id get that bx500 or cheap 2.5in ssd and put it in a enclosure.

For a hdd, just get a cheap external. There all basically the same so get the cheapest.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you want a hdd or ssd?

For ssd, id get that bx500 or cheap 2.5in ssd and put it in a enclosure.

For a hdd, just get a cheap external. There all basically the same so get the cheapest.

So how do I know what externals I can take apart? also I want HDD since I want to save money

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

So how do I know what externals I can take apart? also I want HDD since I want to save money

The seagate ones don't have soldered on connectors I think, but if you want to be sure, go 3.5in drives or just get a barebones drive and buy a enclosure.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The seagate ones don't have soldered on connectors I think, but if you want to be sure, go 3.5in drives or just get a barebones drive and buy a enclosure.

3.5 in drives won’t fit, yes barebone 2.5 is what I want

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

3.5 in drives won’t fit, yes barebone 2.5 is what I want

Are you swapping the drive inside the xbox or using it externally via usb?

Id just get a internal laptop drive and a usb to 2.5 in adapter.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Are you swapping the drive inside the xbox or using it externally via usb?

Id just get a internal laptop drive and a usb to 2.5 in adapter.

I’m going to be putting the drive in a custom external shell and then buy a 2.5 adapter

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

I’m going to be putting the drive in a custom external shell and then buy a 2.5 adapter

So then Id just get a cheap drive like this guy. There all the basically same so it doesn't really matter the exact model https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-2-5-Inch/dp/B07H28QRKN/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=1tb+hdd+2.5&qid=1618870218&sr=8-2

Reminder⚠️

6 hours ago, Kanna said:

If it must be 2.5,then you are basically stuck with seagate. Western digital 2.5 drives (to my knowledge and searching) all have soldered custom USB connections, not sata with adaptors. 

18 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

If it must be 2.5,then you are basically stuck with seagate. Western digital 2.5 drives (to my knowledge and searching) all have soldered custom USB connections, not sata with adaptors. 

Why TF would WD do that kinda bad move imagine selling a drive some customer is going to put in a laptop for secondary to then find out it’s not a sata drive but something else

Reminder⚠️

9 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Why TF would WD do that kinda bad move imagine selling a drive some customer is going to put in a laptop for secondary to then find out it’s not a sata drive but something else

They do it to stop people shucking drives. They want you to buy dedicated internal drives, not portable USB drives. They make more money this way. 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

They do it to stop people shucking drives. They want you to buy dedicated internal drives, not portable USB drives. They make more money this way. 

I’m not buying a portable, they must sell internal 2.5 drives right?

Reminder⚠️

2 hours ago, Kanna said:

I’m not buying a portable, they must sell internal 2.5 drives right?

Portable hard drives just use standard internal hard drives in an enclosure. (with the exception of wd using non standard connections) 

27 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Portable hard drives just use standard internal hard drives in an enclosure. (with the exception of wd using non standard connections) 

Yes but like I need recommendations for a standard internal 2.5 HDD but I think I found one already here

Reminder⚠️

40 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Yes but like I need recommendations for a standard internal 2.5 HDD but I think I found one already here

Any Seagate external drive has a standard internal drive in it. And they are usually cheaper when bought as such, but they lack warranty.

Take my old seagate usb 3.0 drive. Inside is a standard Seagate Momentus drive. Regular sata and power connectors. Nothing special.

IMG_20210420_184411.jpg

IMG_20210420_184418.jpg