PSU Making spark noises and i saw one

PrevenX
Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
3 minutes ago, PrevenX said:

Hello, 

A few minutes ago I started hearing weird noise coming from the back of the PSU. When I launched a game I even saw a spark inside it?! Can it be dust? or is the PSU Daying? It only occurs when under load.

Have a Video of the sound if somebody wants.

PC spec.:
I5-8600k overclocked 5Ghz AIO
Zotac AMP! Geforce 1080
MB: ASUS strix Z370H 
PSU Corsair RM650X
Seagate 1TB 
Crucial 250Mb SSD SATA
Old 3years

Thank you 

Your OC'ed CPU and the video card would push that 650 W PSU close to the limit. Running a PSU long term at max load can cause internal failures. Sparks come from a number of reasons but if you sea one, that's probably an arc, meaning you have unshielded connections somewhere. I would replace that unit asap with a higher wattage one.

750 or better 850 W for your setup. You can also try to run the cpu at base clocks but I would strongly advise against powering on that pc at all. If the PSU goes, there is good chance it will take your graphics card and drives with it, as they have less fault tolerances than the motherboard. Worst case would be an electrical fire that could destroy your entire home. Dont' mess with power. The fact that your pc is still running is a good sign, just don't try your luck with it.

Hello, 

A few minutes ago I started hearing weird noise coming from the back of the PSU. When I launched a game I even saw a spark inside it?! Can it be dust? or is the PSU Daying? It only occurs when under load.

PC spec.:
Zotac AMP! Geforce 1080
PSU Corsair RM650X
Seagate 1TB 
Crucial 250Mb SSD SATA
Old 3years

Thank you 

Hello, 

PC spec.:
Zotac AMP! Geforce 1080
PSU Corsair RM650X
Seagate 1TB 
Crucial 250Mb SSD SATA
Old 3years

Thank you 

Your OC'ed CPU and the video card would push that 650 W PSU close to the limit. Running a PSU long term at max load can cause internal failures. Sparks come from a number of reasons but if you sea one, that's probably an arc, meaning you have unshielded connections somewhere. I would replace that unit asap with a higher wattage one.

750 or better 850 W for your setup. You can also try to run the cpu at base clocks but I would strongly advise against powering on that pc at all. If the PSU goes, there is good chance it will take your graphics card and drives with it, as they have less fault tolerances than the motherboard. Worst case would be an electrical fire that could destroy your entire home. Dont' mess with power. The fact that your pc is still running is a good sign, just don't try your luck with it.

how do you have a 250 MB SSD, I thought the minimum was 4 GB. Anyways if your PSU sparks and/or makes noises I suggest getting a new one, and since your system is 3 years old i dont think you will need more than 450-500 watts. I am pretty sure it could ruin your system, you can make fixing it a side project and don't connect it to your PC when trying to fix it.

and i suggest waiting for someone a bit more experienced than me to see if they have another solution.

Just now, Applefreak said:

Listen to this person, has more experience than me.

4 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I'd be careful there, mate, that all sounds a bit iffy.

I am scared of even tuching it.

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

OKEY OKEY Well noted. I am going to up the PSU ASAP,Until then i will not power it on again. Thanks for your help.
Have a good day

6 minutes ago, xXSuperNOOB65Xx said:

how do you have a 250 MB SSD, I thought the minimum was 4 GB. Anyways if your PSU sparks and/or makes noises I suggest getting a new one, and since your system is 3 years old i dont think you will need more than 450-500 watts. I am pretty sure it could ruin your system, you can make fixing it a side project and don't connect it to your PC when trying to fix it.

and i suggest waiting for someone a bit more experienced than me to see if they have another solution.

Thank you for help, I have misspel its a 250Gig

4 minutes ago, PrevenX said:

OKEY OKEY Well noted. I am going to up the PSU ASAP,Until then i will not power it on again. Thanks for your help.
Have a good day

You're not going to be using anywhere near 650W with just a 1080. That's a 180W GPU, so expect the entire system to draw less than 300W under load. Even overclocked, you won't be anywhere near 650W. Any half decent PSU is rated for continuous power, not peak. So even if you were drawing 650W, the PSU would have no issue, even over long time.

24 minutes ago, PrevenX said:

Are you sure it's a spark, and that it's actually from the PSU? And not e.g. motherboard lights, or anything like that (yes, some people have misidentified motherboard lights as sparks inside the PSU, so just make sure)? If it is actually sparks inside the PSU, get a replacement from either the seller, or RMA it with Corsair.

It seems you didn't attach the sound file.

:)

16 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You're not going to be using anywhere near 650W with just a 1080. That's a 180W GPU, so expect the entire system to draw less than 300W under load. Even overclocked, you won't be anywhere near 650W. Any half decent PSU is rated for continuous power, not peak. So even if you were drawing 650W, the PSU would have no issue, even over long time.

Are you sure it's a spark, and that it's actually from the PSU? And not e.g. motherboard lights, or anything like that (yes, some people have misidentified motherboard lights as sparks inside the PSU, so just make sure)? If it is actually sparks inside the PSU, get a replacement from either the seller, or RMA it with Corsair.

It seems you didn't attach the sound file.

I have been actually thinking about that too, i pick all the parts in pc partpicker and got around 454W peak soo i still have headroom even when OC.
Its a 80 + Gold soo i think it is okey to run this.

I am sure i saw a spark, i dont have any crazy RGB and when i do its red 🙂 I have my pc on my desk turned backside towards me so i have a clear vision on the psu from the back, and i saw sudden fast blinks of light with a arc sound.

Sorry i have post it here.

2 minutes ago, PrevenX said:

I have been actually thinking about that too, i pick all the parts in pc partpicker and got around 454W peak soo i still have headroom even when OC.
Its a 80 + Gold soo i think it is okey to run this.

I am sure i saw a spark, i dont have any crazy RGB and when i do its red 🙂 I have my pc on my desk turned backside towards me so i have a clear vision on the psu from the back, and i saw sudden fast blinks of light with a arc sound.

Sorry i have post it here.

If you are sure that it's sparks, get a replacement unit. Either from the store if possible, or from Corsair through warranty.

The sound seems to me like just harmless coil whine. That's nothing to worry about.

Just now, seon123 said:

If you are sure that it's sparks, get a replacement unit. Either from the store if possible, or from Corsair through warranty.

The sound seems to me like just harmless coil whine. That's nothing to worry about.

Its if you look vary closely you can actually see the spark in the video (play it few times take me sometime too). The back noise is coilwhine from the GPU it has been doing that since new but this, this is new 🙂

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Under the RM 650X sign 3holes down you can see a shadow of the spark

Its if you look vary closely you can actually see the spark in the video (play it few times take me sometime too). The back noise is coilwhine from the GPU it has been doing that since new but this, this is new 🙂

2 minutes ago, PrevenX said:

Under the RM 650X sign 3holes down you can see a shadow of the spark

Yeah, you should get it replaced, then

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Yeah, you should get it replaced, then

Working on it, anyway thanks for help 🙂