How is Nvidia Reflex different from the 'Prefer Maximum Performance' Power Management setting?

Actual_Criminal

Nvidia Reflex has recently been introduced on Overwatch and I have been watching some reviews on YouTube of it.

A user said that it basically forces your GPU to work at full load to make full use of it even in a game where it may only need 40% performance (example) to operate the game at max settings, which therefore creates more frames.

How does that differ from the Prefer Maximum Performance option under Power Management in the Nvidia Control Panel? - The description of this sounds pretty much like NR. 

Can anyone explain it better? Obviously, there is a difference as the Max perf option has been there for ages.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

Reflex sends images to the queue or from the queue "fast as it can" disregaridng other factors like MAXPERF does.

Relfex does "Fastest..JUST IN TIME" or... "Fastest end of the chain" where MaxPerf just keeps clocks high but doesnt mess with frame queuing/delivery methods.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

9 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Reflex sends images to the queue or from the queue "fast as it can" disregaridng other factors like MAXPERF does.

Relfex does "Fastest..JUST IN TIME" or... "Fastest end of the chain" where MaxPerf just keeps clocks high but doesnt mess with frame queuing/delivery methods.

soo, what's the difference?  Moar FPS I  hope?!

Fun fact: prefer maximum performance cost me actually performance because the card runs hot as hell and downclocks at any chance it gets (about 200 points in Superposition,  and that can only get worse because it's a really short test)

But yeah, I'm curious,  what does this "Reflex" thing really? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I've a Corsair PSU and I disabled "prefer maximum performance" due to similar reasons.

1. It constantly kept triggering the fans to activate on the GPU due to rising temps as mentioned.
  2. The coil whine from my Corsair PSU was annoying AF.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

But yeah, I'm curious,  what does this "Reflex" thing really? 

Lowers the latency.

6 minutes ago, Tieox said:

I've a Corsair PSU and I disabled "prefer maximum performance" due to similar reasons.

1. It constantly kept triggering the fans to activate on the GPU due to rising temps as mentioned.
  2. The coil whine from my Corsair PSU was annoying AF.

that's interesting... i have a corsair too... and a 3070....

The FUNNY thing is I have a 500w bequiet and, the whole PC is running so much cooler with it,  and doesn't crash or anything, it's just cooler...

I'll probably put it back in summer cause I can't see me enduring this heat and noise...  seriously something with the corsair fan gotta be wrong also  it's loud AF at "800rpm", shouldn't be audible at all really! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

that's interesting... i have a corsair too... and a 3070....

The FUNNY thing is I have a 500w bequiet and, the whole PC is running so much cooler with it,  and doesn't crash or anything, it's just cooler...

I'll probably put it back in summer cause I can't see me enduring this heat and noise...  seriously something with the corsair fan gotta be wrong also  it's loud AF at "800rpm", shouldn't be audible at all really! 

I won't be keeping the Corsair PSU, strongly tempted to take the EVGA 650 G3 from my old system and plonk it in this (swap psu's basically), but also thinking of future expandability so likely will go for a 850 EVGA PSU when funds permit. 

This is my second run in with Corsair PSU's and the second time I've ended up removing it for an EVGA 🤣, I got a screaming deal on the system, and a turn around in just over a month for these specs? quite suited to have to swap a PSU for coil whine as the only problem!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

MaxP works well with Undervolting.

Locking in a MHZ that wont top the PWR under full loads.

0.95v and 1920-1950Mhz vs 1.037v 1860-1920Mhz

Or underutilized (1080p Low esports) where GPU usages are lower, temps lower but you MaxP for Latency (running MAXP 1980Mhz flat at 60% usage at 1080p vs NotMAXP and dropping clocks to 1200-1400 or less, switching a lot and adding increased latency to esports gaming)

So you shouldn't use MAXP when at 90-100% GPU Usage by those and your experiences in the replies here.

Only when sub80% GPU then activate MAXP in competative environments.

Don't know of any Reflex negatives because I've not specifically looked it up.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz