Google Earth time-lapse feature winds clock back 37 years (BBC Article)

King of Memes

Summary

Basically, you can go back in time on google earth. Basically, you can see how places looked several years ago. 

Quotes

The feature uses millions of satellite images from the past 37 years to let people scroll through time. 

It allows people to see, for example, the retreat of glaciers alongside global warming, or the deforestation of the Amazon over time. 

The company says it is the biggest update to Google Earth in four years. 

Google Earth uses similar technology to the widely used Maps product, but is more focused on geology and exploration than public transport and directions.

But the time-lapse feature is global - meaning users can just type in any location and experiment with whatever images are available. 

Google is heavily marketing the tool as a way to raise awareness of climate change and other environmental issues. 

It pointed to the shifting sands of Cape Cod and the drying of Kazakhstan's Aral Sea as striking examples of how the landscape is changing. 

But it also documents the boom in towns and cities across the world - from the rapid expansion of Las Vegas to the building of artificial islands in Dubai. 

"We have a clearer picture of our changing planet right at our fingertips - one that shows not just problems but also solutions, as well as mesmerisingly beautiful natural phenomena that unfold over decades," Google said.

My thoughts

I think this is cool. Sort of like the web archive, but for google earth.

Sources

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56760060

8D5C8970-4C1D-4250-954D-B942FA98845A.jpeg

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

5 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I thought it was going to be limited to just a few locations but damn I can see this anywhere I want. It's pretty neat to see stuff like urbanization but also kinda depressing with deforestation and lakes drying up.

It is also great that this data is now basically fully public so you can use it for many projects to help the environment.

27 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

I thought it was going to be limited to just a few locations but damn I can see this anywhere I want. It's pretty neat to see stuff like urbanization but also kinda depressing with deforestation and lakes drying up.

Ever see bacterial colonies grow on a Petri dish? This is like the macro version of it, but on a much slower timeline. 

47 minutes ago, King of Memes said:

-snip-

8D5C8970-4C1D-4250-954D-B942FA98845A.jpeg

Hey! I know that place! That's only an hour from where I live.

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang