is it just me, or is everyone tired of people dogging on console gaming?

thejackel
14 hours ago, thejackel said:

fair point, but i was mostly talking about the community in general, not linus himself. if he dogged on it, i wouldnt be here

yeah I gotcha, but I still come to the same conclusion. In talking to most tech enthusiasts around me I don't hear dogging without reason against consoles. I hear people marketing the flexibility of PC, less concern of exclusives, more potential for speed, more reliability. But I don't often hear just PC Master race crap thrown around in a dogging or disrespectful manner. I just hear people with a preference say their preference and reasons. I also hear many of them also owning a console for one or more reasons on top of having a PC

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

17 hours ago, thejackel said:

Everyone here loves gaming, who here wouldn't. But im getting sick of a bunch of people dogging on console gaming with their ¨console peasant¨ shit. Sure, I love PC gaming too, it has a lot of advantages, I love my PC, but so does console gaming, and people make fun. Im just wondering what everybody thinks about that topic. Thanks!

It's a joke man. Jesus, why so many people lately can't grasp the concept of a simple joke with a bit of sarcasm. It's an inner circle sort of joke in the gaming community. Just like in car community there are always the jokes about Civics, Mustangs, BMWs, Audis and so on. In the end of the day a good car is good no matter the brand and the model. Same with games. A good game is good no matter the platform. Horizon Zero Dawn had great story well before coming to PC, 3 years later after the PS4 launch. It's not like the game suddenly become good because it came to PC and was trash before that. And some people get this and take it like they should - light hearted with a smile. But others take it all to seriously and they are certainly the most fun to mess with, because when they get enraged they start spitting all kinds of hilarious crap. We don't hate on the fellow gamers from the console peasant society - they are just like the rest of us who love gaming.

I however became to hate on the console platforms themselves because of the big studios greedy approach to development. Back in the days of the original PS, PS2, XBOX 360, the games were developed separately for PC and the console platforms, which lead to the games being much more detailed and visually pleasing (and ofc demanding) on a PC with the higher textures they included and the bunch of extra technologies. The best case, although slightly exaggerated for modern days, cause consoles caught up a bit on the hardware side, is NFS Porsche Unleashed compared between PC and PS1. The last 10 years they basically developed the game just for the consoles and simply port it to PC. That's why so many new titles have almost unnoticeable differences between different quality settings. And thanks to the reception of Cyberpunk 2077 we will probably never see again a game, that was developed to look as good as possible on the latest hardware. That's why i love this game, despite all of its flaws, because it broke the decade old mold of simply porting games to PC. And indeed on a high-end PC (Ryzen 5900x with RX 6900 XT / RTX 3090) cranked to the max it looks like nothing we have ever seen before. I dearly miss that approach of "let's make the game as good as possible and use exploit to max the latest hardware". Developing a game and optimizing it for a single configuration is much easier and cheaper than making in work on hundreds of different possible configuration settings. And big companies love money above all else, so the cheaper, the better for them. 

P.S

Here is what i meant exactly by games being developed separately for the different platforms, using PC's full potential, w/o being bound to the current gen consoles capabilities. 

Basically the 2000s' equivalent of Cyberpunk PC vs PS4 version.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

I think Microsoft and Sony are very anti-consumer in their practices. There's ton of annoying crap like having to pay a subscription to play online, having to buy new controllers instead of just using your old ones on new consoles, backwards compatibility not being a given for no real reason, having no crossplay for no real reason, exclusives being an inherently anti-consumer practice that's just there to force you to buy a particular system, and so on and so forth. There are too many drawbacks to list them all.

People who understand these things and still opt to mainly play on consoles usually do so to "save a few bucks", even though it's not actually cheaper in the long run. Let's just say that, while I don't think these people are necessarily idiots, I do question the validity of their logic. 

EDIT: Also, the PCMR vs console peasants is a meme. It's a joke. Don't take it so hard. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

18 hours ago, thejackel said:

. Im just wondering what everybody thinks about that topic. Thanks!

My friend is a Sony guy as well as a PC gamer. He said that Sony's game subscription service is limiting certain games to PS5 only, even if those games are available on the PS4. Considering that you cant buy a PS5 due to the shortage, its kinda a dick move. So he pretty much said screw Sony and its bullshit and he's just now doing PC from now on. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I really miss playing NFS Porsche Unleashed , I need to find a safe way to make this game work. Yes, I have the OG copy.

I like PC gaming more now, but console is fine and cheaper, nothing wrong with liking it.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

While I did own a NES and Atari 2600, I preferred to game on the 8-bit Home Computers during the 80's. My Stepfather own a 800XL, one my best friends use a Commodore 64.  

When I came back to IL from Tenn, I used a Apple II+ or e at School of course.

I did however started to look down on Console Gamers later...

On 4/14/2021 at 11:29 PM, thejackel said:

Everyone here loves gaming, who here wouldn't. But im getting sick of a bunch of people dogging on console gaming with their ¨console peasant¨ shit. Sure, I love PC gaming too, it has a lot of advantages, I love my PC, but so does console gaming, and people make fun. Im just wondering what everybody thinks about that topic. Thanks!

I just don’t like controllers.  They irritate me.  If the blocks that prevent normal mice and keyboards from working were removed I’d probably have a fairly hard time justifying owning a PC at all.  I use the thing as more or less a console anyway.

The problem apparently is controller joysticks use a completely different input methodology than mice and I just don’t like it.  It can apparently actually be more useful in some situations, but is often less useful in others.  One apparently is weapon aiming. To the point apparently that when consoles and PCs are put on the same server for PvP games the PC players crush the console players so hard that even a novice PC user can badly beat an experienced console user.  I don’t play PvP games so this doesn’t matter to me, but I still find controllers annoying.  If my only choice was controllers or nothing I might very well pick nothing and stop playing video games.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The controllers are completely different topic and i dearly dream of a cross-platform gaming server, especially for FPS games, where everyone would clearly see the dominance of keyboard + mouse layout.  

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

1 hour ago, QuantumSingularity said:

The controllers are completely different topic and i dearly dream of a cross-platform gaming server, especially for FPS games, where everyone would clearly see the dominance of keyboard + mouse layout.  

So did the people that made the steam machine and the steam controller (which didn’t have those issues) they never made it far in the marketplace though.  I did like the steam controller as far as I got it to work.  It was complicated and required some relearning.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.