Please Vet 1440p Gaming Build

Budget (including currency): ~$2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming on 1440p 144hz monitor with gsync, virtual box VMs (Windows and Linux), maybe streaming one day (but big maybe)

Other details: Replacing 10 year old machine that is freezing more and more. Want new one to be mostly future proof as likely will have for at least 5 years and unlikely will swap out anything unless something breaks. I had posted before about a small form factor build but realized a few days later that this would be a good time to set up a RAID 1 backup system. Guessing small form factor isn't feasible but smaller the footprint of case the better. Have graphics card as place holder (feel free to recommend one I should zero in on). For now will use Geforce 750TI from old machine to make do until prices get back to MSRP (waited years for a new machine, waiting for a GPU is no biggie).  Zero interest in RBG so no point in tempered glass panel for a case.

Here is my attempt at a build, frankensteining ideas from similar builds. Thanks for any input!

My only recommendation is buying a small SSD for your OS. If you need 16TB of storage at least your OS would be on a SSD. 

15 minutes ago, RegulatorRWF said:

My only recommendation is buying a small SSD for your OS. If you need 16TB of storage at least your OS would be on a SSD. 

Honestly, 1TB is enough for all programs except games/vms, so it's not overkill

Other than that just get a 16x2 kit of ram

16 x 2 RAM instead of 8 x 4 RAM?  How come?

Also any one else want to add anything before start committing to collecting parts? Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, kingdom2000 said:

16 x 2 RAM instead of 8 x 4 RAM?  How come?

Also any one else want to add anything before start committing to collecting parts? Thanks again!

because you will have an upgrade path if you want/need 64 gb ram 

Gaming PC:

CPU- Intel Core i5-10400 (planning to upgrade when Alder Lake releases)

CPU Cooler- be quiet! Dark Rock Slim up to 180W TDP

Motherboard- Asus ROG Strix B460-h Gaming

Memory- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 CL15 memory

Storage- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-NVME SSD up to 2400 MB/s 

Video Card- MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3060 Ti OC

PC Chassis- Cooler Master TD500 MESH ARGB with Controller

Power Supply- EVGA 650w P2 (planning to upgrade to EVGA 80+ Gold 1k watts)

Rear Fan- Touchaqua Bitspower Notos RGB fan

Monitor- Acer EI272UR 2560x1440 144hz 4ms Radeon Freesync monitor

Keyboard- Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse- Logitech G203 Lightsync (planning to upgrade to g502 HERO)

Controller- Xbox One Wireless Controller - Red 

LaptopProcessor- Ryzen 7 4700U (8c/8t up to 4.1Ghz) with Radeon graphics, 16GB DDR4-3200 memory, 512 NVME SSD

Played around some more.  Since want virtual machine or 2 and RAID 1, still not sure if doing overkill with Ryzen 7 or not. Also is small form factor feasible with 2 hard drives? 

So further adjustments, now can't decide on Intel vs AMD.  There is a price difference but not as significant as assumed. Decided to go with 2TB NVME because its worked out on current build to have 2TB SSD and not have to manage space in any meaningful way.  Also would it be better to go with Be Quiet products to reduce noise or current choices good?

Edit: Just realized 3070's are the $750 cards at MSRP (I thought that was markup). Does not seem worth the jump in price. Is 3060 TI at $500 better choice then (whenever I get lucky enough to score one)?

AMD Build:

or

Intel Build: