New Camera Annoucement: Canon EOS R3

ThePointblank

Details are a bit thin, but Canon has announced development of a new EOS R3 camera, along with a couple of lenses as well:

Via DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2152580168/canon-eos-r3-development-announced-high-end-full-frame-mirrorless

Canon has revealed the first details of its high-end EOS R3 full-frame mirrorless camera. The R3 has a dual-grip design and will be able to shoot at up to 30 frames per second with full AF, but isn't branded as a successor to the EOS-1D series of pro sports DSLRs.

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/0931673290/canon-r3-what-do-we-know

Canon has just announced the development of what will be the highest-spec RF-mount camera yet, the EOS R3. The few details that have been released point towards a very interesting camera, but also something else; something even more capable, coming in the future.

DPReview has a picture supplied by Canon of the new R3:

Spoiler

Canon-EOS-R3_Front.jpeg

So, what do we know?

1. It is using a brand new, Canon developed stacked, back-side illuminated (BSI) sensor with the traditional Canon Dual-Pixel auto focus, a first for Canon. Canon has traditionally used Front Side Illumination chips in their sensor design, and to see Canon jump directly to a stacked BSI sensor instead of any intermediate steps is a major jump in capabilities for the camera. Canon notes that with this sensor, the camera can shoot stills at 30 frames a second, much faster than current R5 or even the 1D series cameras.

2. Canon notes that the R3 has Eye Control AF via the viewfinder, which allows the camera to change autofocus points based upon where your pupil is looking in the viewfinder. This appears to be a resurrection of a technology from the the 1990's via Canon's EOS 3 SLR camera. This technology never made the jump to Canon's digital camera lineup, and died with the last of the EOS 3 series film camera almost 17 years ago, so it's interesting to see Canon bring this back into the digital age, on a mirrorless body.

3. The body is a bigger camera overall; it has a integrated vertical grip. This should mean that battery life is much longer as it is likely using either dual batteries, or a much beefier single battery inside, and overheating should be less of a concern because the camera has more mass and room for heatsinks. Weather sealing is apparently equivalent to the existing 1D series cameras, which means the camera is very rugged and water resistant.

4. Canon is slotting this in a revived 3-series camera, which means that it currently slots above the R5, but below a hypothetical 1 series camera. This should mean that the speculated mirrorless R1 should have even higher performance than the just announced R3, and would mean that price-wise, it would sit above the R5 at $3900 USD, and perhaps closer to the EOS 1DX Mark III's price tag of $6900 USD.

I WANT IT

I absolutely cannot afford it but I WANT IT

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

its interesting I'd expect we will see more if not a full launch in july just like the3 new lenses, right before the 2021 Tokyo games

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

It’s going’s to be interesting how this alongside the Nikon Z9 compare to the Sony A1, given that I imagine there all slot into a similar price point. 

5 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

Details are a bit thin, but Canon has announced development of a new EOS R3 camera, along with a couple of lenses as well:

Via DPReview:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2152580168/canon-eos-r3-development-announced-high-end-full-frame-mirrorless

Reveal hidden contents

Canon-EOS-R3_Front.jpeg

So, what do we know?

1. It is using a brand new, Canon developed stacked, back-side illuminated (BSI) sensor with the traditional Canon Dual-Pixel auto focus, a first for Canon. Canon has traditionally used Front Side Illumination chips in their sensor design, and to see Canon jump directly to a stacked BSI sensor instead of any intermediate steps is a major jump in capabilities for the camera. Canon notes that with this sensor, the camera can shoot stills at 30 frames a second, much faster than current R5 or even the 1D series cameras.

2. Canon notes that the R3 has Eye Control AF via the viewfinder, which allows the camera to change autofocus points based upon where your pupil is looking in the viewfinder. This appears to be a resurrection of a technology from the the 1990's via Canon's EOS 3 SLR camera. This technology never made the jump to Canon's digital camera lineup, and died with the last of the EOS 3 series film camera almost 17 years ago, so it's interesting to see Canon bring this back into the digital age, on a mirrorless body.

3. The body is a bigger camera overall; it has a integrated vertical grip. This should mean that battery life is much longer as it is likely using either dual batteries, or a much beefier single battery inside, and overheating should be less of a concern because the camera has more mass and room for heatsinks. Weather sealing is apparently equivalent to the existing 1D series cameras, which means the camera is very rugged and water resistant.

4. Canon is slotting this in a revived 3-series camera, which means that it currently slots above the R5, but below a hypothetical 1 series camera. This should mean that the speculated mirrorless R1 should have even higher performance than the just announced R3, and would mean that price-wise, it would sit above the R5 at $3900 USD, and perhaps closer to the EOS 1DX Mark III's price tag of $6900 USD.

I had the EOS3 and the EOS5. They are still in the loft. The eye controlled focus on both those cameras was innovative and for many, including myself, worked very well. Some people didn’t get on with it though. Will be really interesting to see how well it works in this new form.

I got a notification from Canon last night regarding this camera. It doesn’t give much away but it certainly looks like a great tool. Not the tool for me though, I am hoping for an R7 simply so I can travel with lighter kit. I keep considering the R5 but that would also mean me lugging around more glass,

The EOS3 was around the £1200 mark when I got mine, I can only guess the R3 will be north of £5K. Bit much for the hobbyists, or at least those of us who have kids to fund. I can see a lot of retired old git wildlife shooters nabbing this model though.

5 hours ago, AlexBlob said:

It’s going’s to be interesting how this alongside the Nikon Z9 compare to the Sony A1, given that I imagine there all slot into a similar price point. 

I wonder if an R1 is still a way off. Probably planned for some time in the future. Maybe this was meant to be the R1 but in light of development from Sony it was renamed.Canon are really showing what they can do. It is going to be an interesting time.

59 minutes ago, Distinctly Average said:

I wonder if an R1 is still a way off. Probably planned for some time in the future. Maybe this was meant to be the R1 but in light of development from Sony it was renamed.Canon are really showing what they can do. It is going to be an interesting time.

The 1Dx MkIII was a January, 2020 release.  Though the R line is separate, it's very unlikely they're going to burn all the bridges with the 1Dx owners by releasing an R1 only a year and change later.  The cadence for the 1Dx line was around four years.  I doubt they'll wait till 2024 to release an R1, but my gut tells me it'll be at least another year or so.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

10 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

The 1Dx MkIII was a January, 2020 release.  Though the R line is separate, it's very unlikely they're going to burn all the bridges with the 1Dx owners by releasing an R1 only a year and change later.  The cadence for the 1Dx line was around four years.  I doubt they'll wait till 2024 to release an R1, but my gut tells me it'll be at least another year or so.

I tend to agree, but what’s in a name? Many 1DX3 owners I know purchased knowing an R version would arrive in the very near future. Those that have it as a work tool will simply fund the replacement through taxes etc. Those that purchased as a hobby will either want to stick with an OVF for a while, or will chop in their current model for the new. I would suspect there are more reasons for calling it an R3, and one of those is to give room to respond with a new flagship should competition release something very superior on the spec front.

Personally, I tend to not look at headline specs. So often they are misleading and on the field less news worthy models perform better. It is often ergonomics, the user interface and customisation that make the difference in getting or missing a shot. Will be interesting to see how the R3 performs on this front compared to the 1DX3 

• 1 month later...

Canon has released more details about the upcoming R3, including some more specs:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5600618654/canon-eos-r3-will-shoot-30-fps-raw-bursts-with-oversampled-4k-and-8-stop-is

We already knew about the back-side illuminated CMOS sensor, and it's ability to shoot 30 fps in RAW. We now know the camera will also have in-body image stabilization, and with compatible RF lenses, will provide up to 8 stops of image stabilization.

Autofocus capabilities with improved face/eye/head and animal detection, plus new car and motorcycle tracking capabilities. It will be able to autofocus at light levels as low as -7EV.

With video specs, Canon noted that the R3 will shoot oversampled 4K, with no specified frame rates, with support for Canon Log3 and Raw internal recording. No mention of 8K though.

We have confirmation of both WiFi and wired LAN capabilities with the camera, CFexpress and SD card slots and a magnesium alloy body. The camera will take Canon LP-E19 batteries, which is shared with the 1DX series cameras.

The hot shoe also provides power and communication for future products, which Canon has not provided any hints regarding what could be potentially compatible. The R3 will be able to use a Speedlite with the electronic shutter, a first for one of Canon's cameras.

An image of the back was also released as well:

Spoiler

R3_Rear.jpeg

The camera clearly has a vari-angle touch screen on the back, the first for a Canon professional grade camera. Also present is the multi-controller and the smart controller as well.

Other than that, that's it for the updates to the development announcement. Rumour sites, such as Canon Rumors are suggesting that the camera is going to be priced to undercut the competition.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:43 AM, ThePointblank said:

Via DPReview:

Reveal hidden contents

Canon-EOS-R3_Front.jpeg

So, what do we know?

I wonder why SO many people buy DSLR's. I mean, photobuffs are fine. But at least half of everybody I know owns a DSLR, but never takes it out. They use the camera of their mobile phone

4 hours ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

But at least half of everybody I know owns a DSLR, but never takes it out. They use the camera of their mobile phone

I was caught in this rut for a LOT of years.  And I've spent ... uh ... well let's just say I spent.  Quite frankly, I suck as a photog.  I believe half of photography can be learned (eg: the math of the exposure triangle).  The other half?  That's art, and that's not learned.  It's cultivated, possibly, but it comes from some innate talent.  I ain't got it.

Why'd I keep spending?  Gear.  Photog gear is cool.  And I'll bet a lot of others end up in that same rut.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |