Creating A New @ Handle

TheCoder2019

This seems very simple, but might be hard to implement. Here's my idea:

@here is a handle we use to @mention all people in that thread, instead of @mentioning everyone in that thread or quoting everyone. It may just be me, but I think that will help things look a little better, especially in HUGE threads like MOTF. And yes, you can put all quotes or mentions in a spoiler but I don't think it's that cool.

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

Why exactly would you need to tag everyone in a thread at once? I'd imagine it will cause a lot of unnecessary tags, especially so in threads like MOTF.

Plus, the whole "@here" thing works on Discord because it's much more of an instant messaging platform, while on this forum it would just seem odd to not know for sure who you're responding to.

There are very few instances I've come across over the years where people have to tag more than say half a dozen people.

Usually you tag a few people and even then, usually you can just quote the relevant parts out of the post(s) you're responding to anyways.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

@here is a handle we use to @mention all people in that thread, instead of @mentioning everyone in that thread or quoting everyone. It may just be me, but I think that will help things look a little better, especially in HUGE threads like MOTF. And yes, you can put all quotes or mentions in a spoiler but I don't think it's that cool.

it could be abused

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

1 minute ago, King of Memes said:

it could be abused

Not as abused as @everyone but that's an actual account. With that tag it can be used in bot spam.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

26 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

in huge threads, like the Anime Club or the Banning Game, it would mention everyone, and those threads have been arround for years, so years ago, ppl commented on them. it would mention people who commented on the thread like, 4 years ago

Just now, King of Memes said:

it would mention people who commented on the thread like, 4 years ago

Good point. Maybe add an option in the thread that has a checkbox input like "Support @here mentioning"

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

5 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Good point. Maybe add an option in the thread that has a checkbox input like "Support @here mentioning"

i guess that could work, but the staff would have to add it

@minibois and @colonel_mortis what do you think? Add it or not?

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

13 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

@minibois and @colonel_mortis what do you think? Add it or not?

Of course it's not up to me if it should be added, but I just - from a personal perspective - I am unconvinced of the needs for this feature and just tried to raise a few questions about its need.

As I mentioned in my previous post:

- it's not common to have to mentions dozens of people

- can lead to spam

- could be confusing as to who you're replying to

- quoting people and just making sure you only quote the piece of the post relevant to your reply

To me, this kind of sounds like looking for a solution a non-problem.

That was the main concern I tried to raise with my previous post, hearing a legitimate use for this feature, where a couple tags/quoting parts of other posts doesn't suffice.

EDIT: to be clear, it's not up to me to decline a suggestion, I just wanted to know the 'why' of your suggestion.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Why would you need to mention all participants in a topic? My experience of @here is that it is entirely noise, and I can't see any reason that it would be any different here.

HTTP/2 203

5 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Why would you need to mention all participants in a topic? My experience of @here is that it is entirely noise, and I can't see any reason that it would be any different here.

It may just be me, but I think that will help things look a little better, especially in HUGE threads like MOTF. And yes, you can put all quotes or mentions in a spoiler but I don't think it's that cool.

That's why. I don't like seeing notifs from you, I get scared!

Maybe an option to enable that as the poster of the thread and the option in your profile settings to ignore all @here or @here on a specific thread

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

7 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Maybe an option to enable that as the poster of the thread and the option in your profile settings to ignore all @here or @here on a specific thread

You still haven't answered why you would need to give everyone in a thread a notification. Which has been asked twice already, and you still haven't answered

:)

6 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

I don't think the solution matches that problem. Either most people opt into @here notifications, in which case you're replacing mentioning/quoting say 6 people with mentioning 20k people (which is the number of participants in MotF), or most people out out, in which case you're probably not mentioning the people you wanted to anyway. The regulars to the topic will read it anyway, regardless of whether you mention them, and the non-regulars would probably opt out and probably don't care.

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

You still haven't answered why you would need to give everyone in a thread a notification. Which has been asked twice already, and you still haven't answered

Well here's why:

1. Can mention all participants (obv)

2. In a thread where you need to get non followers of the topic to view (can quote but sometimes it gets messy on mobile)

3. Like Number 2, like if you need to state a problem with the answer they gave and they don't understand you can tell them all within one mention

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

2 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

Well here's why:

At risk of sounding like a broken record, why would you want to do that, and why would I want to let you?

2. In a thread where you need to get non followers of the topic to view (can quote but sometimes it gets messy on mobile)

3. Like Number 2, like if you need to state a problem with the answer they gave and they don't understand you can tell them all within one mention

If there are enough participants in a topic that you can't just quote/mention a couple of posts to cover everyone, in most cases I think there would also be more participants that don't care about whatever it is that you're updating.

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

At risk of sounding like a broken record

Ok that's your opinion, how nice!

why would you want to do that, and why would I want to let you?

It was an idea

don't care about whatever it is that you're updating.

True

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

GAMDIAS Argus M1

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Well here's why:

So the answer to why you would want to mention everyone in a topic, is that you can mention everyone in a topic? That does not answer anything.

3 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

That... is what a notification does. That answer only moves the question to "Why would you need everyone in a topic to view it?", and does nothing to actually answer the question in a meaningful way.

4 minutes ago, TheCoder2019 said:

If anyone is interested in a topic, they would see that there is a new reply. Why should anyone be interested in trying to help, if you can't even take the time to reply individually to different suggestions?

:)

image.png.52fc3399a3fec017fcc69d0d4689fe1d.png

The people that want that level of notification would like already be following the topic via this feature.

No. I'm already annoyed when I get tagged for no reason. Like in threads I have replied once, but have no further interest. And I've told people that I will soft-ignore them if they dare to do it again (= not interact with their content unless it's moderating).

There's no point of this feature in forums.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv