Create an OS?

MoJoMax

Hello, How can i make an "OS" that i can boot

Well not really an OS more like an image or text with a song

Somewhat like the nyan cat payload of MEMEZ..

Any tutorial will be nice Thanks!

There aren't many options when it comes to this when you lack experience with compilers and the proper languages and tools needed. 

This isn't terribly related but you should watch the LTT video on temple OS to see how hard the most simple things are and possibly the documentary on the creator as he was amazing and a nut at the same time.

Remember that you and I are human and we both make mistakes. If I say something you disagree with, you don't have to fight about it.

1 minute ago, Canada Man said:

There aren't many options when it comes to this when you lack experience with compilers and the proper languages and tools needed. 

This isn't terribly related but you should watch the LTT video on temple OS to see how hard the most simple things are and possibly the documentary on the creator as he was amazing and a nut at the same time.

I don't want anything fancy just one screen with text. or even better an image

You don't need an OS ... you can make a bootable USB stick or a floppy disk which automatically starts an application you write.

Your application would need to be smart enough to talk directly to the sound card, since your minimal " operating system" on the usb stick will not have sound card drivers - an alternative would be to use the PC speaker.

For a DOS bootable usb stick

You can make a DOS application that loads a picture and displays it. There's DOS programs that do that. There's programs that can play mp3 and flac music from DOS as long as there's DOS drivers for the sound card installed. So it's doable.

Probably even easier would be to prepare a tiny linux bootable stick or something and make that automatically launch a program that plays music and displays something on screen. Think of it like wireless routers squeeze a super tiny linux os in 8-16 MB of flash storage - you can compile your own with just the sound card drivers and the video card drivers to make it possible to display some image.

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

There's programs that can play mp3 and flac music from DOS as long as there's DOS drivers for the sound card installed. So it's doable.

If MIDI is an option he can actually create a batch that run QBasic script which read the MIDI byte and it sends them to the PC speaker automatically without any driver.

4 minutes ago, Franck said:

If MIDI is an option he can actually create a batch that run QBasic script which read the MIDI byte and it sends them to the PC speaker automatically without any driver.

So forget about the OS part is that possible using batch scipt in windows?

1 hour ago, MoJoMax said:

I don't want anything fancy just one screen with text. or even better an image

If you just want something that boots and displays an image you're better off using a minimal Linux distrubution and having a startup script that displays something on the framebuffer.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, for the original idea, how skilled are you at low level stuff? It will take a large amount of time too. Unless you're bent on doing everything from scratch, just start off some platform.

Here's a fantastic resource for starting something like this from scratch though: https://wiki.osdev.org/Expanded_Main_Page

10 hours ago, MoJoMax said:

Hello, How can i make an "OS" that i can boot

Well not really an OS more like an image or text with a song

Somewhat like the nyan cat payload of MEMEZ..

Any tutorial will be nice Thanks!

Have you written an interrupt routine?

Edited by wasab
No offense intended. Just some humor 😆

Sudo make me a sandwich