Why do you need good VRMs for overclocking ?

So for my graduation i have to do a presentation over a subject i like in physics and the only one i like is the one talking about capacitors. VRMs are made of capacitors; so i decided to make my essay on them, but i want to know what is the reason you need good VRMs to get to higher voltages, like what happens to the capacitors that leads to system instability ?

4 minutes ago, GAlbert said:

VRMs are made of capacitors

No. The most important components of the VRM are the inductors and their drivers, not the capacitors. Bad PWM-drivers can cause fluctuations or they may simply burn under a heavy load, and bad inductors may also burn. Some VRM-designs also  use a single driver to drive multiple inductors, so there it is even more important that the driver can handle its task well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

VRM = voltage regulation module

It is a lot more components than just capacitors.

They need to be able to handle the additional power consumption of an overclocked CPU without falling out of regulation or burning up.

Motherboard VRM Power Guide - Personal View Talks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

VRM = voltage regulation module

It is a lot more components than just capacitors.

They need to be able to handle the additional power consumption of an overclocked CPU without falling out of regulation or burning up.

Motherboard VRM Power Guide - Personal View Talks

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No. The most important components of the VRM are the inductors and their drivers, not the capacitors. Bad PWM-drivers can cause fluctuations or they may simply burn under a heavy load, and bad inductors may also burn. Some VRM-designs also  use a single driver to drive multiple inductors, so there it is even more important that the driver can handle its task well.

Oop, sorry, i konw VRMs are more than just capacitors but i have to focus on just them 😕 

2 minutes ago, GAlbert said:

Oop, sorry, i konw VRMs are more than just capacitors but i have to focus on just them 😕 

The capacitors are usually not an issue, it is the mosfets that often overheat.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, GAlbert said:

Well, then your presentation will be sorely lacking. Capacitors as part of the entire VRM-solution or anywhere else in an electronic device aren't different, so there's not much to say: if the caps can't supply the needed power to tide over any transient dips, then there's obviously a dip in power being supplied to the other components and that can cause instabilities.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Well, then your presentation will be sorely lacking. Capacitors as part of the entire VRM-solution or anywhere else in an electronic device aren't different, so there's not much to say: if the caps can't supply the needed power to tide over any transient dips, then there's obviously a dip in power being supplied to the other components and that can cause instabilities.

Well, my presentation must be physics centered, like physical phenomena. Its not a long presentation, its supposed to last 5 mins and i thought talking about the capacitive effect would be the most interesting stuff 

4 minutes ago, GAlbert said:

Well, my presentation must be physics centered, like physical phenomena. Its not a long presentation, its supposed to last 5 mins and i thought talking about the capacitive effect would be the most interesting stuff 

Sure, go ahead, make your presentation about capacitors and capacitance, if you wish. Trying to make a presentation about capacitors in a VRM-design specifically, though, is pointless: caps are caps and they work the same, no matter where you put them.

That's has the best explanation of VRMs I've ever heard.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse