Are Intel Integrated graphics good enough without GPU

TheRTWolF

I have been trying to build a new pc for me and a couple friends for a few months now and with the graphics card issues we currently face it is just not possible to do at the moment. I was wondering with Intel's new graphics cards specifically the 11700k; Could I get away with no GPU and still be able to game and possibly do 3d modeling work with it? Is it even close to the graphic quality I have in my 980 I have now. If it is then I could see it being a viable stop gap until more cards become available for reasonable prices without me having to get an overpriced under powered prebuilt with no upgradability. Any advice or information appreciated. I mostly ask for my friend who only has a laptop rn; I could still use my 980 if I really need to.

6 minutes ago, TheRTWolF said:

Eh.

You have a 980? It's still just fine for 1080p gaming.

Prebuilts are possibly decent right now.

You could also sell your 980 and buy an R5 4600H + 2060 laptop depending on where you're at.

AMD's APUs are way more usable though

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 minutes ago, TheRTWolF said:

I have been trying to build a new pc for me and a couple friends for a few months now and with the graphics card issues we currently face it is just not possible to do at the moment. I was wondering with Intel's new graphics cards specifically the 11700k; Could I get away with no GPU and still be able to game and possibly do 3d modeling work with it? Is it even close to the graphic quality I have in my 980 I have now. If it is then I could see it being a viable stop gap until more cards become available for reasonable prices without me having to get an overpriced under powered prebuilt with no upgradability. Any advice or information appreciated. I mostly ask for my friend who only has a laptop rn; I could still use my 980 if I really need to.

Intel IGPs are really not that good. on my 7700HQ laptop all I can run is HL2. if you want the best IGP solution go with an AMD APU with Vega graphics

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

11 minutes ago, TheRTWolF said:

Is it even close to the graphic quality I have in my 980 I have now

it's nowhere near it. 
Intel's iGPUs have come a long way since the horrible GMA graphics, and they can run games like csgo and other esports titles at 1080p, but for anything heavier you're gonna have to be content with 720p low at 30fps, if not lower.

as for 3d modelling, if your workflow uses CUDA, no luck there mate; you need an nvidia card for that.

As a general stopgap solution, it makes sense, but keep your expectations in check

Edited by Ash_Kechummm
vvvv bad englais

2 minutes ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

Intel IGPs are really not that good. on my 7700HQ laptop all I can run is HL2. if you want the best IGP solution go with an AMD APU with Vega graphics

Intel's Xe graphics are a lot better, but yes, they're still not good enough to even try to play modern games without some drastic lowspecgamer tweaks.

ok thank you for the info and the video (that came out yesterday) I guess this idea is on a few peoples minds right now...  😕 Guess Ill have to stay vigilant for restock on gpus

Xe graphics, as far as I know, are more of a priority on mobile than desktop, so you'll still get passable performance from an iGPU on an 11th gen desktop chip, but not as good as on mobile where they've actually been delivering, as the mobile iGPUs generally have more execution units than the desktop ones. I believe it's 96 on mobile versus 32 or 36 on desktop. If you're happy with sub 60FPS in slightly older games and sub 30FPS in much newer AAA titles then the Xe is actually a decent choice.

If you've still got a 980 though I'd use that rather than buy specifically to get an Xe iGPU, as the 980 will definitely beat the Xe by a long way. One of my mates still uses two 980Tis in SLI and gets great performance, usually on par with and sometimes better than my 1660S.

Mobile and non GPU intensive use on desktop are the only use cases I'd strongly recommend the Xe. For example, on laptops the 96EU Xe iGPUs perform pretty respectably, and if all you needed on desktop was to use multiple monitors for productivity, the Xe would again be good, but for high resolution and high frame rate gaming on desktop, nope.

3D modelling work could be passable on the Xe though, bearing in mind that I've been able to use the Intel HD 4000 iGPU from like 2012 to do (admittedly lighter weight) SolidWorks modelling in SolidWorks 2019. I have a new Xe laptop but haven't yet tried 3D modelling on it, so unfortunately I can't say much to the performance of the mobile Xe in that use case. Again though, the mobile Xe with more execution units would perform better than the desktop models with fewer, so just use the 980 so you can guarantee the performance you'll get is good and stable.

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB