Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I just came across this hilarious adapter (no affiliation) that connects an EV charger to a standard C13 plug (i.e. "computer power cord"); I think it'd make a funny silly-but-serious post about building a high-power racing game rig that is powered from an EV charger, or something like that 😂

https://www.evseadapters.com/shop/en/ev-chargers-charger-adapters-extension-cords/21-j1772-to-iec-c13-adapter-for-electric-motorcyclescooter.html

argb guide for gaming rooms

I know that RGB doesn't make my PC 10 times faster...but at least 2 times

I think there is an important story to tell about how Microsoft's Bitlocker recovery key system has been down for at least 10 days. I have personally been locked out of my laptop for 10 days now. I have contacted MS support 6 times now with a response that "the engineering team is working on it." I think its important that microsoft receives some heat for having such a critical recovery system down for so long, and inform people to either backup their recovery keys offline or to not use bitlocker in general as msft cannot be trusted. Attached is a screencap of what I have been looking at on the recovery page for some time now.....melted ice cream.

image.thumb.png.69fec1bef10b97577f5d8f28ce79ea39.png

Plouffe, I've bought the latest revision of the Hyper7 keyboard and will receive it sometime this spring. I'd be happy to ship it up to you all to do a review on. It's a delightfully ridiculous mechanical keyboard. 

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

I have a set of custom keycaps coming for it that will match the old Space Cadet theme, and I've opted for the black powder coated chassis.

Hi, it’d be great if u do kind of a 5000$ Ultimate tech upgrade but instead of with one of ur staff with some random follower (obviously with people who have sign in for that 😄). I know it probably presents some challenges (like traveling or shooting at a random person’s house) but I’d love to see it!

I'm sorry if i made any spelling mistakes, i'm not an English speaker.

Ryzen 7 5700G @ 4.2GHz All Core. Aorus Elite V2. 2x8Gb 3600MHz CL17. Nfortec Aegir X. Nfortec Nervia.

Has there been any thought into updating X gamers on 1 PC? Would be super cool if there was a server configuration that can handle 10 instances of e-sports games like CS2, Valorant, etc. 

That way, competitive LANs or even PC cafes can look into a setup like this as opposed to individual PC's for each station. 

Think about how Geforce now does it, I doubt they use individual PC's. The setup could be some super server with a bunch of VM's running but I'll leave that to the experts to decide.

6 hours ago, mkultra_prod said:

That way, competitive LANs or even PC cafes can look into a setup like this as opposed to individual PC's for each station. 

They'd rather get all their users banned...

These setups work through virtualization, and multiplayer games increasingly disallow virtualization as part of their anti-cheat systems.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

a guide to using a gaming PC for local LLM use like https://ollama.ai/ or whatever 

a few example projects on how people can use LLMs to make life better or more fun.

run a computer within a vacuum, overcoming the obviously obstacles that it faces (no air cooling, dealing with freezing components, etc)

Make a custom gaming PC case designed to be airtight and watertight with internal pumps to circulate mineral oil out the bottom and up into the top  Remove all fans, moving components, and any nonmetal heat spreaders from the various components.  Pump the mineral oil through a custom coil of copper tubing that goes through the top of a metal 5 gallon bucket (set the PC case on top of the bucket) filled with water.  You can run all the cables through one or more pipes coming out of the top of the case sealing the pipes with silicone caulk.   Then run various tests on the efficacy of cooling a gaming PC down this way.  Does the mineral oil carry the heat away fast enough to prevent any throttling, If you actively cool the water in the bucket down to 35F or 2C, just a little above freezing can you get more performance out of the components without having to worry about condensation on your PC components and if so, how much?  

Hello LTT, I came here to make a suggestion for a video that will GUARANTEE 3M views. Build a PC that has Frutiger aero aesthetics. The PC has to not only look like it came straight from the early Frutiger Aero era, but have features/products relating to the aesthetic. Hope this is seen, Cheers!

Hello LTT, since the latest QDOLED video was posted I have been watching discussions on reddit.com/r/oled_gaming and have noticed that there appears to be a lot of confusion, misinformation, and outdated information surrounding HDR, color spaces, gamma, white point, icc profiles, when to use Windows 11 HDR Calibration, etc. As someone who bought the new Alienware 32 QDOLED it has been an extremely frustrating experience trying to figure out what settings to use with this monitor depending on what I am trying to do (gaming, movies, web browsing). With so many people finally getting HDR capable monitors I would love to see an updated dedicated video discussing using HDR within Windows 11, and especially the difference between sRGB, DCI-P3, and DCI-D65. Since the video of the AQ3225QF I've seen many people complaining about how green Creator > DCI-P3 looks, and a lot of these users are coming away thinking that HDR looks awful.

Hello. Out in Dalhousie, NB over here.

Hey I think I came up with a neat idea and I wouldn't mind hearing Linus' two cents on it. 

Basically, I'm trying to make a energy efficient desktop pc. It's going soso.. the short version of how I got here is; I have a Lenovo tiny m700 w/ i3 6100T and it didn't go over 31w power draw no matter what I did and that was impressive. but I wasn't satisfied with the iGPU, so after a bit of back and forth, I ended up with a Asus H110 em/2 with a i5 7600t and a very obscure GPU the i got off eBay from a fella in San Francisco - the very interesting Radeon Pro W6300.

Now the rig didn't work as great as I would like so i put the w6300 in my old rig and in the second PCIe slot of my asrock X570 phantom gaming 4. 

quick specs:

Ryzen 5 3600 (OC to 4.00Ghz, locked)
32GB DDR4 (BLS8G4D30AESBK.M8FE x 4 at 3Ghz)
RX5700

Radeon Pro W6300
MP510 M.2 SSDs

12TB HDD 

etc

So heres the thing, if I was to run dual monitor on my RX5700, in GPU-Z it takes up about 30w-40w and pretty well idles at 30w. If I run just one monitor on my RX5700, its about 8w-10w, idle around 8w. But if I run the second monitor on my w6300, the w6300 only uses up another 2w-3w. It might be like counting pennies here but it's still a 300% or so improvement, if I understand mathematics correctly.  

and I also noticed how badly windows is configured to operate with two GPUs running two monitors and trying to set affinities etc etc.. so to fix that, I put two inputs into my main monitor and I disable the RX5700 in device manager and run both off the W6300 and just turn on the RX5700 as needed, for more demanding tasks, like a video game. 

The W6300 only takes up about 25w MAX btw. it's really, really energy efficient and works great, though it could use more VRAM. About my only complaint.. and I'm not a huge fan of only DP outputs but I can work around that. 

So yeah there's two ideas here. One is that dual GPU set up. seems to be working very well, and a review on a very obscure GPU, the Radeon Pro W6300, which shines pretty bright among other low wattage PCIe add in cards. Blows RX550, GT 1030 and all those sub 50w cards out of the water. 

Oh and if you check Passmark baselines on it, there's like only 4 or 5 samples and 3 or 4 are mine. at the time of this post, Passmark didn't post my latest baseline w/ the 3000mhz ram and r5 3600. 

Baseline ID# 2005643.jpg

GPU_Z - Radeon Pro W6300 - Graphic Card.jpg

GPU_Z - Radeon Pro W6300 - Sensors.jpg

Radeon Pro W6300.jpg

Radeon Pro W6300(1).jpg

Radeon Pro W6300(2).jpg

Radeon Pro W6300(3).jpg

Radeon Pro W6300(4).jpg

Video on tweaking a pc for lowest possible input lag and highest FPS (not just install atlas OS or enable reflex/vsync etc) but setting up windows and all the settings, process lasso, interrupt affinity tool, hpet driver settings etc. There's a community of "tweakers" on twitter and on forums who claim to do stuff to cut input lag. Maybe test a few of their services vs DIY tweaking it then test it against a baseline windows 10 installation and one that's been bloated with a normal users apps etc.

I was on eBay recently and found this podcast combo deal for 35$usd. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386473118076?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ixrkusv9st6&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=zzxoMsm0Tpi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

this got me thinking, could there be similar deals on AliExpress/Wish/Temu. it would be kinda cool to see if there are any good benefits to such insane combo deals. 

This video where MrWhosTheBoss visits a multi-story tech shop in Japan is great. So much crazy tech to explore overseas. Would be great to get someone over there one day. 

Nvidia's AutoHDR for videos is out now, and I want to see a comparison of their autoHDR and real HDR video on youtube.

Especially since nvidias video was NOT hdr for some dumb reason

It would be a good example for if people can tell the difference, and why they might see a difference. 

So far for me, main problems is baked in subtitles and text like a white website. Otherwise it's clearly fake HDR but it's much more enjoyable than SDR videos all the time. 

Can you make a video on how to make a car's backup camera into rear dash cam? 

Got recommended a video on Youtube about the Samsung Folder 2, an initially China/Korea exclusive smart flipphone with a smart touchscreen for the upper display and a classic keypad on the bottom. It's pretty old now but might be fun to take a look at and possibly compare it to the more current Galaxy Flip/Galaxy Fold.

“How to build a PC: The first guide you’ll ever need”

A 20-or-so minute video talking about the basics of PC building. Like the “How to build a PC: The last guide you’ll ever need” video, but for people who don’t have a few hours to spend on YouTube.

Dear LTT team,

I recently watched your video where you lost Petabytes of data. (see:

)

I have an idea for a VIDEO:

What if you never NEVER have to REPLICATE DATA AGAIN? 

What if you can LOSE DISKS and SERVERS, and your DATA is STILL ACCESSIBLE?

What if you can use your servers to the end of their life? 

The Victoria, B.C.,  based team at Swiss Vault has an Erasure Coding solution for data storage, to enable long-term archiving, that will disrupt the way data storage is being done. (www.swissvault.global,  email: info@swissvault.io). 

The software removes the need to replicate, tolerates high failures of disks and servers, and removes the risk of data loss, so one can run servers to the end of life.  The B.C. team is working to make it easy to use ....

I think its revolutionary, and would love to see the LTT's reaction to it. 

Video Idea:

LTT folks look at old thumbnail photos and come up with title for them.  Then the real video is revealed to them.

thoughts?

Fill a liquid cooling loop with liquid metal

Use liquid metal thermal paste or mercury

Liquid metal should do a better job of absorbing heat from the water block and dumping it into the radiator