Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Hi LTT Team, 

Long time watcher but just came to the forums. I have a Fujitsu Lifebook U810 from 2007, that still boots up. I would love to send it to for a video to let you play doom on it. I can also send in an original iphone (also launched in 2007) and an original ipad (2010), direct competitors to it. 

If you want to do a video about seeing what it takes to destroy a ToughBook.

I have a few I can give to be destroyed in the video. They are not being used and are destined for the waste and recycling anyways.

They are either CF-30 (2007 version), or CF-31 (2012)
Contact me if you want them for a video.

Idea to use the mom-and-pop-computer-shop haul for a video:

You could make a combined AI + buyout-haul, the extremely new + the ancient video.

If that is actually possible you could use an AI-assistant to inventory, appraise and maybe even sell off your haul. Seems like an interesting old-vs-new/progress-of-technology-theme. This way you would have a callback to the feelgood video, which would be the part of the video that you could get out of figuring out how much you got hosed, and you would have a very nice real life test of the usefulness of AI-assistants for real world applications. Maybe you could milk it for a lifestream if the content-density if not high enough for a video. Cataloging and appraising seems like the kind of busy-work that AI will replace at some point, it would be interesting to see how far the tech is along so far. Maybe when the commercial Office-Copilot releases, since interest in AI-assistants is going to be high and people will want to find out what these assistants can do.

Downside would be that you would have to have someone test the viability off-screens first though, first try in the video could fall through completely. Upside would be that testing the viability wouldn't take long and if it falls through you would have company experience to contribute to the discussion on assistants that will inevitable happen on WAN show when the assistants release.

I'm not sure if this idea has been posted before but here we go:

The idea is to get some of those "real world"-problems or mistakes with building PC's yourself and actually show people how to not do it and how to do it correct (and possible alternative solutions).

• Viewers submit their self-built desktop (perhaps even if fit to do so/willing, invite them for the video)
  • Inspect how they built it and summarize points of interest.
    - (for entertainment purposes, needs to be a bit janky or at least have options for improvement)
  • either let them take the effort to fix it (practical ways of learning) or show it and then undo it.
  • bonus: alternative (and subjectively) "better" hardware, on certain conditions or just on games of chance.

I feel if we get some of these to be shown, we the viewers, might even recognize mistakes and try to take the suggestions ourselves. Could be a series, could be a oneshot. It's just I feel like this just takes this perticular bit infotainment to a new level.

If so possible, internationally submitted PC's. I really hope the crew would take notice of this one 🙂

Can you revisit coil whine and how both psu and gpu choice combined affects it?

Currently im trying to figure out a formula for buying hardware to have little to no coil whine.
I dont have access to enough different hardware to check with.

- It seems to help to buy a higher tier gpu than needed and run it at 70-90% power limit, slightly undervolt it and potentially even overclock it rather than underclocking it.
(for some reason overclocking while powerlimiting it reduces coil whine but needs more testing and why, while underclocking it seems to sometimes increase coil whine instead?)

- Lower end psu's combined with gpus that normaly had no coil whine will suddenly make them both have coil whine. 
But what part of the psu makes it coil whine to avoid buying a high end psu with the specific low end coil whine part or why does this happen?

BlackLab Computers Shop 6-month checkup video!  What does the store look like now? Has Keith filled it up with more random accessories or completely different stuff? Did he retire?🤔

I have been held against my will to the world of consoles since my last PC a dell XPS pentium 4. How about an ultra budget build for 2023 for those of us crawling back to PC space? I have no idea what the difference is between i5-10400 and an i7 5700 or some such nonsense lol HELP!!!!! Something along the line of you ultra budget gaming builds (except perhaps a PC that will run starfield at 1080p and respectable frame rate?) 

Not sure if it's already posted before but a video about performance gains of a gpu from driver updates over time, from the version of driver when that specific GPU initialy launched, up to the latest version of driver(at the time of that recording of course). I wanna see this especially on ARC gpu and see how good Intel optimizes it's driver over time.

MY FOLDING/GAMING RIG

CPU Intel Core i5-2500k     GPU Nvidia GTX 560     RAM Corsair Vengeance LP (2x4gb)     MOBO ASUS p8z68m-PRO     HDD/SSD WD Caviar Blue 1tb/OCZ Vertex 3 60gb

PSU Cooler Master GX 550w     CASE CM Storm Scout II     KEYBOARD Razer Lycosa Mirror Edition     MOUSE Razer Naga 2012     MONITOR LG IPS237 23" LED-IPS      AUDIO Xenon 2.1 Surround Sound System

How about a video about computerized pixel holiday light shows like the ones showed in this video: 

What is involved in building a show, how it relates to the RGB in your computer, all the open source free tools used, DMX, everything the audience would need to do this themselves, if they wanted to after seeing Linus do it to his own house (well, maybe just a few props). 

Also I've had a light show for 9 years myself, so this is me saying i think it would make a good video for LTT. 

Could you guys do an all-Mac sleeper gaming setup? What I mean is it looks like an all-Mac setup but it's actually a sick gaming PC.

What I had in mind for the PC was a literal desk PC like you guys have done serveral times in the past. On top of the desk is a non-removable Mac Mini. You still use the I/O, power button, connectors of the Mac Mini like normal. But, the PC itself is something like a 7950X and 2 RTX 4090 cards inside the desk, connected to the Mac Mini on top of it through holes in the desk and Mac Mini chassis.

Even the monitor, mouse, and keyboard will be all Apple stuff but you've replaced the guts with those of better gaming peripherals. 

Yo!

A potential 'HOLY $H!T'-type idea: SMPTE 2110.

It's a standard that's starting to take over broadcasting A/V, and it handles mass transport of uncompressed audio and video over network.

Meaning backbones of broadcasting companies that adopt equipment supporting the standard will be changing from coaxial to fiber optics.

So the switches that have to support entire broadcast workflows have to be gnarly.

Netgear has been launching specific product lines to support standards like 2110: M4250, M4300, M4350, and M5000.

The highest capacity switches, coming from the M5000 line, have 48xSFP28/8xQSFP28 and 32xQSFP28.

It's kinda crazy to imagine switching from running coax everywhere (cameras, gfx machines, routers, switchers, destination screens, etc.) to network lines.

Nevermind the flexibility that could come from having those lines connected to networked switches, rather than sending signal strictly from point to point.

Personally, I'd love to see LTT test Netgear's A/V line to see what specific advantages it has compared to other common brands.
.....or if you're ever itching to fully saturate 10G/40G/50G/100G connections that a file server might not be able to, try sending uncompressed video feeds instead >:)

I'd love to see an update on that dashcam vid y'all did awhile back, but with the addition of rearview mirror dashcams & 4k UltraHD models. I have a Yi mirror dashcam that I bought less than five years ago, that has served me well in the past. However, I'm looking for an upgrade from a 1080p FullHD front/720p HD rear system, to a 4k setup. The one I have now is starting to show its age for quite awhile. 

Here's some sample footages: 

https://reddit.com/r/dashcams/s/Lo8GAqr8Jb

https://reddit.com/r/distractible/s/u1g2sJ4fmj

https://reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/s/ickyuuaakb

https://reddit.com/r/IdiotsInCars/s/1S6c5Y5SaC

https://reddit.com/r/CinnamonToastKen/s/p1QELCO0Zh

Edited by Roostro

13 hours ago, dvt555 said:

Could you guys do an all-Mac sleeper gaming setup? What I mean is it looks like an all-Mac setup but it's actually a sick gaming PC.

What I had in mind for the PC was a literal desk PC like you guys have done serveral times in the past. On top of the desk is a non-removable Mac Mini. You still use the I/O, power button, connectors of the Mac Mini like normal. But, the PC itself is something like a 7950X and 2 RTX 4090 cards inside the desk, connected to the Mac Mini on top of it through holes in the desk and Mac Mini chassis.

Even the monitor, mouse, and keyboard will be all Apple stuff but you've replaced the guts with those of better gaming peripherals. 

Gotta have Horst in the vid

I have a smashed up (but working) Sennheiser HE-1 headphone system. Would the team be interested in doing a tear down video of it? TBH Id love to see someone do a full dissection of one but I am no content creator to be able to document it properly doing it myself.

There are these RAM kits by "AMD" being sold in Russia and Kazakhstan. They are fairly popular here and as far as I'm aware the company behind those has something to do with former CEO of AMD

IMG_20230926_134103.jpg

A sponsored video outfitting an adaptive equipment program for disabled pediatric patients 🙂

I run a adaptive equipment clinic for a Children's Hospital in the US.  We create custom adaptive equipment to improve the quality of life of these kids.  These solutions are things that are not available from traditional medical vendors and a customized to the patient's.  These are purely to improve their quality of life and provided at no cost to these patients.

We use a lot of 3D printing including designing and modeling, we customize equipment such as wheelchairs and prosthetics, we utilized microprocessor's like the raspberry pie and other electronic equipment. Examples include custom attachements to allow a kid to fish again after a hand injury or a custom device to allow a child to be able to dress himself/herself. 

We are always in search of sponsors and it would be great to see a sponsored video where Linus and the group outfits our program and increases our ability to help these patients.  Things like computer equipment to design and model 3D prints, 3D printers, network and storage devices to manage this type of program, and podcasting equipment to promote and share this program with the public. 

A video reviewing the Snapmaker Artisan 3-in-1 could be really interesting. It seems well built, large 3D printing area (400x400x400), but also a 200W CNC, and a 40W laser. Not a lot of reviews on it, but if it's good it could be great for a hobbyist without a lot of space.

For the entertainment aspect, find some crazy projects that need 2 or 3 of those things and build them using the Artisan:

- A knife/dagger: Etch & cut some leather, then use the CNC to mill out the rough profile of a knife, and 3D print holder/case for it?

- An acrylic side panel that's cool for those who can see and someone who's blind? The panel can be etched/engraved with the laser, but also has a 3D milled out image?

- Something actually useful like making some components of a table/PC/shop. Need to make 100 coasters for a wedding? Or making a book separator and need to pre-drill the same exact holes over and over, maybe use a CNC so you don't have to mark and do it by hand.

I'm sure there are more ideas, but the prospect of a 3-in-1 device (if it's actually good) could be amazing for hobbyists. Downside is that while 400x400 for a laser etcher/cutter is kind of small, but still not bad.

It feels like it's right up LTT's alley, but haven't seen them look into it.

snapmaker.jpeg

what if you used a new ryzen based mini pc to make a modern steam machine? that would be cool to see and with the cost it would be a good way to get into pc gaming if you were a console user

I don't really know an angle but Dan Hurd, a fellow BC youtuber, had his Kid's Camp afftected by the wildfires. You're totally different circles but maybe you guys could figure out an angle to collab on something to help the Kids camp??

I've been looking into it and I think it'd be awesome to see an LTT video about the coffeemod for old Z170/Z270 motherboard users upgrading for as cheap as possible. Like someone who's using an i7 6700k who wants an upgrade for as cheap as possible. Get an AliExpress qn8g 8700k eng sample, slap it in your Z170 and reap the rewards. I'd love to see an in depth guide on the process of the bios modding and well as the physical mods you need to do for all the different kinds of motherboards.

My media PC currently has an i5 6600 with an asus z170i pro gaming and I was thinking about this and thought it'd be a great way for people to get on a 6 core 12 thread/ 8 core 8 thread CPU who already have a decent motherboard, ram, cooler etc but just need some more CPU speed. Hope this becomes a video

So every once in a while we get these videos of cheap stuff from aliexpress and the likes, well this is actually worth covering. This keyboard costed me 17 euro, it's mechanical, comes with spare switches, weights 560 grams without the 2 triple A batteries (sadly this one cannot be use wired as well) and just took 4 days to arrive.

This is honestly crazy. Sure it's not going to replace my regular keyboard for many reasons, and I'm sure @Plouffe is not gonna think it's the best thing ever. However at that price there is no reason for anyone to use the horror that are rubber domes.

This also makes it perfect for those looking for a keyboard to use on their smart tv or console etc.

I definitely think this deserves a short circuit video, and I would love to see Plouffe give his thoughts on a very cheap keyboard, yet that is a major step up from the junk we see at those prices.

20230928_105846.thumb.jpg.550788e728b866fa28b7f28842e702bf.jpg

Little sound test 

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EueOV5p