Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

So I just sent off an email to LMG, but maybe here would be better to discuss! 

I am trying to figure out a better set up for one of the world's top Beatsaber players. He dropped off the map due to the level of popularity, but recently we convinced him to start uploading content again!

Today I asked him if he would play Rush E for me. He said "you suck, at least you could have requested something else like total annihilation." Then he said something about how he will record Rush E x48 for me. A few hours later... Behold...

I was wanting to get him a slightly better setup computer wise and possibly get some mixed reality capture set-up for him. Maybe the gent I have been watching since before LTT, Sir Linus Sebastian, would be interested? 

Or if any others in the amazing crew or community would be able to help get this amazing player back on the map! 

(Edit: I happen to be dating his sister.. just to clarify x'3)

Edited by Gasai
Clarification on minor details and spell check

9 minutes ago, Gasai said:

So I just sent off an email to LMG, but maybe here would be better to discuss! 

I am trying to figure out a better set up for one of the world's top Beatsaber players. He dropped off the map due to the level of popularity, but recently we convinced him to start uploading content again!

Today I asked him if he would play Rush E for me. He said "you suck, at least you could have requested something else like total annihilation." Then he said something about how he will record Rush E x48 for me. A few hours later... Behold...

I was wanting to get him a slightly better setup computer wise and possibly get some mixed reality capture set-up for him. Maybe the gent I have been watching since before LTT, Sir Linus Sebastian, would be interested? 

Or if any others in the amazing crew or community would be able to help get this amazing player back on the map! 

(Edit: I happen to be dating his sister.. just to clarify x'3)

When I think about it, having one of the top Beatsaber players in a video might generate quite the view count! If it comes down to it I will drive him across Canada to be there! 

Thank you anyone who has taken the time to make it this far. For your effort I shall pay cat tax.

PXL_20210726_052240155.jpg

received_532459011190030~7.jpeg

I just finished watching the Scrapyard wars playlist, and I loved the series ! For a future Scrapyard wars,it would be great to see LTT crew take on Gamers Nexus. Also, on top of a build challenge, a team gaming challenge would be great great too.  

video idea: VHS vs Betamax vs video 2000. Why VHS won? Was it only because of price? And what would You choose back then

Stupid idea that came to me as I was watching the cardboard case video.

Use a 3d pen to try and "draw" a pc case 

Hey, just registered up to submit this possibly brilliant possibly awful idea. I've been thinking alot about how there's a rift between miners and gamers. Miners use the cards to the end of their mining life but ive heard linus say that they can still be gamed on. I think the awesome hardware team at LTT although very busy could verify old mining cards sent in for no hardware mods, then redistribute, thus bringing the bridge between gamers and miners closer. Also providing unique videos for the unusual cards your sent, and being able to grow your hardware team with the influx of work  and sales, also in a way providing a hardware recycling service not offered elsewhere, unique to consumer needs. I'm british and in our country you can get grants from the government to help start things like this, I know you guys are Canadian but maybe???? 

Love LTT

Love that "oh, I'll just check LTT" has become a saying!

DINGDIAN S3:Intel N6000 Silent Ultra-thin Pocket Size MiniPC

New kickstarter - states that it can game using an Intel Pentium Silver N6000 and 16GB of LPDDR4 RAM. Unless they are testing Virtua Cop 2, I have no clue where there claim comes from. 

0E529E8D-222A-4647-B394-ACACE7574D92.png

I currently have my Mother and Mother in law living with me and both have dementia and cant remember how to use a tv remote is there any way to review work arounds.

Linus talk in wanshow of "stealth fiber"...

no air fiber? Just worry about the 100th airplane.

*just have a fiber attached on the roof with high tech camouflage*

Would love to see a comparison of X265 against videotoolbox (HW Accelerated) H265 video encoding for the Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra

BB 4D Vibration Gaming Mouse SM35 | Sound-Reactive Haptic Sensor | Unique FPS Gaming Experience on PC for Overwatch, PUBG, CS:GO, Halo, and Many Others | Adjustable Up to 12000 DPI (SM35) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086PDJNC1/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_3ZBWXPF0F2X669J7FF47

This mouse is 120 USD and has a headphone jack split form the USB cable to plug into a PC for "stereoscopic feedback"

Make another video about Vanced, i'm sure there is something to be said for the coincidence about what Linus said and the cease and desist. Thanks anyway for this. Going to ad block and sponsorblock all your videos mate.

Was discussed on WAN show. 

If you think Google didn't know about it until Linus talked about it, well...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I think a video focused on the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) would be pretty awesome! It's a high school robotics program where students on thousands of teams around the world design, build, wire and program robots. Every year in January a new game is announced. Teams then get to work designing a robot that can play that game. They work for 8-12 weeks until their local competitions where they compete. Winners at these events then compete at a national championship at the end of April.

This year's game is called Rapid React - here's the announcement video:

The game animation can seem a little cheesy, but the competitions can get intense:

Competitions aside, there's a lot of cool technology on the robots. Every robot uses a custom-made controller called the National Instruments roboRIO, and robots are controlled by programs written by the students in Java, C++, or LabVIEW, often with the WPILib Framework. For the first 15 seconds of the match, the robots run autonomously based on those custom programs. Then for 2 minutes 15 seconds a drive team operates it.

The robots can use a mix of sensors like encoders, optical sensors, color sensors, potentiometers, ultrasonic sensors, etc. and actuators like CIM motors, brushless motors, servos, pneumatics pistons/solenoids, etc.

I was on a team (514!) all through high school and have been mentoring there since I graduated in 2017. It was an amazing way in high school to have a practical way to learn about engineering and programming, and as a mentor it's great to help other students get that same experience. I think there's the potential for at least one video here, if not multiple. Happy to help provide any other info that might be useful!

Had a fun thought today.  You did a video where you directly attached an air conditioner to cpu cooling.  However, could it be a fun solution to instead turn a mini fridge into a computer case.  Install brackets on the inside to house components and drill holes through the insulation and door or side walls for wire access and such.

Oops just found you did this as a video 6 years ago.

Edited by Otakublade
Found you already did a video like this.

Got 2, and first one is fun!

Linus & Luke Take a Day Off

No, really. They take a day off, but in front of the cameras and just hang out together, cutting up and giving each other the same crap they'd do without the cameras rolling.

Everyone seems to be asking for more Luke time lately and everyone needs a day off, how often do they get to just hang out these days?
So, with them both being so used to the cameras, just film em on a day off.

Now, I get that "just" doesn't necessarily apply, as that involves a third party to spend their day filming, and more parties to edit etc, but I still think it'd make some great content while getting two old buddies together to just hang out just like us viewers do with our old nerd / tech buddies.

NO BUSINESS BUSINESS, Only Funny Business!

And for the second...

Printers! ...please..?

Finding a printer that isn't a scam / subscription based thing / etc is absolutely obnoxious.

Between the HP subscription based printer ink and the printers that by design will require new ink even when your current cartridges still have ink, it's just plain overwhelming and confusing knowing who to trust and I personally haven't been able to find any solid videos from reputable sources that actually tackle the topic from an unbiased point of view.

As a homeschooling parent, I need the print medium, as a nerd that plays tabletop games, I need the print medium, as a larper (retired hobby) that needs to print out rule-books and waivers for people, I need the print medium, but physical devices as a subscription just goes so far beyond software as a service.

Would really love some help here and I'm confident I'm nowhere near alone.

Greeting from Romania.

Interested in seeing a video about Frigate

https://github.com/blakeblackshear/frigate

https://docs.frigate.video/

A complete and local NVR designed for Home Assistant with AI object detection. Uses OpenCV and Tensorflow to perform realtime object detection locally for IP cameras.

Currently playing around with it and finding it very interesting:

image.thumb.png.c2ede031913c141bc5ae840dadb310cf.png

I also ordered a coral usb device but this will take ages to be available. Interested in any possible solutions/workarounds.

Thanks

Find out what hardware config give the best performance on topaz video enhance. Best value hardware. I understand if you buy ultra highend it will be the best

Smart House for All

Since Linus has been building a super tech house, he should lend his knowledge and experience in upgrading his house to others on the team, or maybe even to some fans. This would be something similar to Intel Extreme Upgrade, but focusing solely on smart housing and/or tech housing the house. Those videos seem so fun, all get tons of views, and they are really practical, real world use cases of a lot of the tech the channel has reviewed. 

To that end, I will offer myself as the guinea pig here. My house will start construction soon and be done by Christmas. Send me a shopping list and some filming dates and have the team come down to do some filming! See you soon LTT team! 

I've spent countless hours across two weeks trying to get 4 different kits of DDR4 RAM rated for 3200, 3600 and 4000MHz to run at rated timings/speeds, I've pumped voltage in, I've tried 4 different boards from 5 different manufacturers, and it's driving me insane. No matter what I do - except downclock the RAM to 2133 - I cannot get it to pass the memory controller intensive test in Prime95.

LTT, please, please do a video about getting RAM advertised as 4000MHz to actually run in a board that advertises supporting 4000MHz+ O.C..

FYI, I'm on a Ryzen 5 3600, a Ryzen 7 5700g, a Ryzen 7 5800X, and an Intel Core i7 11700K. I'm trying to run this RAM on ASUS and MSI boards. The only place the RAM is stable above 2133MHz is in a Dell XPS tower (wtf?!) where it will run at 2666 all day. I'm using Corsair and Crucial kits in a 4 x 16GB configuration, but I can't even get this to work with _one stick_ at even 1.5v with loosened timings!

Surely I can't be the only one out there with RAM woes like this. This is starting to feel insane.

Linus mentioned on the WAN show that they are going to do a video on a "real server node" with ample GPU, swap, RAM, CPU - the works. He mentioned that they would "need to do some AI benchmarks", and I am both stoked and anxious.

In the previous video on the A100, mistakes were made. In particular, the batch size was put way too low so the throughput wasn't nearly as high as it could have been. The A100 is much faster than was reported when making use of its full potential, including its larger memory. When I made such comments, people pointed out that "LTT are gamers, not machine learning experts", and I understand that. But if you are going to report "AI performance" and make the implication that you are giving review benchmarks for AI, then that should at least be correct. If you bench a product in the domain of machine learning, but your benchmark is flawed, then that does not help anyone.

So I truly hope that LTT is reaching out to an expert in deep learning to help them with the benchmarks. Maybe Nvidia is willing to help? The benchmark that was used is quite dated, too. I'd suggest to try something new. Like: how long does it take to pretrain a BERT model, or something like that. A real, current, work-load that represents what these kinds of nodes are actually used for.

I don't know if this has been thought of already, but it occurred to me that, when reviewing audio quality on laptops, etc, it might be really cool/useful to have LTT Labs actually measure the frequency response of the speakers as well as sharing the more subjective experience of the reviewer.  I'd love to see a frequency response graph, especially when comparing between different devices.

Suggestion for a video for how to keep your gaming room cool, as in not warm.

With you ( Linus ) building your new home this could be something you’re going to be doing. I would love to see some tips or anything else besides put in AC unit to prepare for the summer to be able to not only keep the rig cool but the room as well ( i’d rather not spend upcoming summer gaming with a fan aimed at my mouse and keyboard.