How do surge protection strip manufactures have such a high equipment warranty with a low joule rating.

jakeslayer9091

Hello, 

I found this Belkin surge protector on amazon and it has a joule rating for 565 joules with a 20,000 euro Connected equipment warranty, How are they so confident that 565 joules is enough when most modern home appliances need more than 1000 joules, Is the warranty just talk to attract customers or do they actually warranty your damaged equipment from power surges? 

Thanks.

My custom loop 5000$ PC:

CPU: Intel i7 9900k Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A RAM: 32GB (x4 8GB Modules) Corsair Dominator VideoCard: Asus Nvidia 2080ti HDD/SSD: 1TB M2 Samsung EVO 970 Case: LianLi O11 Dynamic (White) Radiator: x1 Corsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 Fans: x6 Corsair LL120 RGB Tubing: Thermaltake PETG ID: 13mm OD: 16mm Fittings: Bitspower Throughout Waterblocks: CPU: EK-Velocity RGB (Nickel+Plexi) VideoCard: EK-Vector RTX 2080ti w/ Nickel Backplate (Nickel+Plexi) Reservoir: Bitspower Touchaqua Sedna Front Plate Options: Corsair Commander Pro, Corsair RGB Controller, Custom Sleeved Cables for CPU, ATX and PCI-E

Personally, I don't think the average person buying a power strip/surge protector knows that the only number that truly matters is the Joules. Its a slight of hand to throw bigger numbers out there that may be eye catchy and appealing to unsuspecting buyers. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

They are talking about the surge protection. It can protect against a maximum of 565 joule or 565W/s

So your just talking about a small power bump from the net. It wont do anything against anything serious like a lightning strike or something like that.

Good luck proving that what killed your equipment was below that value.

If you want actual surge protection you will need to place it it at the start of the breaker box connected to a bigass ground electrode.

Because they're not actually paying..

It's always "user error" .

6 hours ago, TimsTips said:

Good luck getting a check out of a warranty claim. It’s all bs. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, TimsTips said:

Good luck getting a check out of a warranty claim. It’s all bs. 

That would indeed be the hard part, the burden of proof would be onto the user and they'd probably need to sue them as well for them to even care enough to pay the user for damages if they actually managed to prove the surge protection strip didn't adequately protect their devices during a surge.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

-> Moved to Power Supplies

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

It's an incidental damage  insurance policy paid for by Belkin and requires the customer to fill out a form within 30 days or so of purchase to "register". 

They often do pay.  But the number of people that remember to fill out the registration AND bother to file the claim is about. 001% of their customer base.  Furthermore, if you do file a claim, they'll ask for proof that you tried to go through your homeowner's/renter's insurance first, and if they pay, all you get from Belkin's insurance company is the deductible.