What song are you listening to right now.

killers993

I suppose I finally have a legit reason to check out Twitch

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Regarding vocals... Check out Rocky Music Studio on Youtube. 

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

17 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The voice is just another instrument when it comes to music, and nobody is born a god vocally.  It takes time, practice, emotion, and knowledge, just like with guitar.

I'm 26 and about to enter medical school, I don't think I can still learn how to sing but thanks for the tip. :)

I guess I'm in one out of twenty people who are tone deaf. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Most pop singers are tone deaf until you factor in lip syncing, robotic level auto-tune, and other tools.  A majority of them also don't write their songs, but get credit for it.

I'm aware that a lot of singers hire ghostwriters especially in pop and hip-hop that is often accompanied by 360 deals especially when the artist is relatively new. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Most pop singers are tone deaf until you factor in lip syncing, robotic level auto-tune, and other tools.  A majority of them also don't write their songs, but get credit for it.

Getting credit for song writting is more of a legal issue than an issue wtih the music industry trying to deceive people. 

In the music business it's known as the Nashville split. 

Basically, to avoid any future problems pertaining to copyrights, the music business (at least in the US) have made it a custome to credit everyone that had any input on the song writing.

It can be as much as writing a whole song, over just being in the room where the song was written, to giving a creative interpretation of the lyrics. 

Although, that credit might not actually give the "writter" any right to a monitary percentage of the song. 

For that information we have to consult an actual crediting bureau or the lables own reports.  

Also, I don't think I would go as far as calling pop singers tone deaf. They more than likely capable of recognizing a tone and at least be capable of trying to replicate it. 

From a pure business standpoint it would make the most sense to get a singer that's at least somewhat good at singing. That way they'll save on producer cost. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Well, you have the top 40 pop artists then you have others.  The top 40 ones are kinda tone deaf, their engineers and others are not.  Michael Jackson wasn't tone deaf, but Kanye is.  

In Kanye's case it's more of a creative choice. He uses autotune crooning as a way to distancing himself from his music's sbject matter. 

I.E. he uses it the same way Cher used it on Believe

Also, Kanye is not so much tone deaf as he is incapable of holding a tone while singing. 

There is a difference. Like, I'm not tone deaf, but I can't sing for shit. 

Been listening to some Mendelssohn recently.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

12 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

IDK, to me, it sounded like he was both tone deaf and didn't know how to use mix voice properly when he tried to sing Bohemian Rhapsody.

He actually thought this sounded good, but that might also just be his ego.

I can't really find anything that suggests that Kanye thought he did a stellar singning job on that rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody

At the time of that recording, Kanye was going through the whole "I'm the biggest rockstar alive" - phase, so that might very well the be reason why he decided to cover Queen. 

He's essentially stating that vocal skills are no longer important, but it's how you use your vocals. By comparing himself to Freddie Mercury (arguably the best rock vocalist in history), Kanye is signifying a pradigm shift within popular culture and how popular music is to be made. 

8 hours ago, MyInnerFred said:

Been listening to some Mendelssohn recently.

Another man of culture 

I always had a love/hate relationship with Mendelsohn. While he could defiently compose, I just find it hard to overcome his style. 

The kinda pompous, romatic baroque revival just comes off a bit too melodramatic for me.

But damn if Elijah isn't a masterpiece. 

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I'm listening cover on Beyonce's song - Say my name, quite good)

53 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Um, if you watched the actual performance other than just listening he seemed to be smiling the whole time as if he did a good job, and had the audience sing part of it.  Also, vocal skills are important when you sing.  He's full of shit, as usual, lacks the ability to sustain a note properly, and is clearly tone deaf with the way he chose to sing that.  I can't give the man the credit, sorry.  He's just an egomaniac who wants people to think he's a god when he's really just a shitty musician overall.  The problem is people think emotion equates to talent/skill, or bullshit also equates to talent/skill.  You could argue that music/art is subjective, but talent/skill is factual.  Skill/talent gives an artist the ability to improve their composition skills.  They are indeed in important in that regard, so Kanye is indeed full of shit.  That's just my opinion as a trained musician of nearly twenty years, but to be fair pure emotion can still be good if you're not tone deaf.  Two examples of that would be Hendrix, and another would be SRV.  Heck, another would be Richie Blackmore.  Kanye, on the other hand, no just no.  The difference here is that those 3 took their emotion and lack of skill, and made something amazing out of it.  Hendrix helped define rock and roll with pure emotion, SRV helped define the blues-rock sound with his inability to read and play, and Richie Blackmore wrote the most famous guitar riff off all time while not being that great of a guitarist from that get-go called Smoke on the Water.  Kanye just went out there with a smile on his face, bad vocal skills, and showing just how tone deaf and full of shit he is by attempting Bohemian Rhapsody.  That's called ego, a bad cover, and bullshit.

Let me show you a better example of what I mean in terms of vocals why it is important.

In punk rock or rap, it doesn't really matter because of the style.

Tone Loc covering Wild Thing by the Troggs which Angelina Jolie's dad and her uncle worked on the original.

^He changed it to fit the rap/hip hop sound and that's not bad because musically it works since Tone knew he couldn't sing and would sound as tone deaf as Kanye did.

Now, we all know most punk rock singers and musicians aren't the most skilled rockers, and that's fine for the style.  Now, here's Dave Mustaine covering a punk song and he made it fit the style of thrash.  Now, that's not hard to do considering punk/hardcore is a key element in thrash from the get-go.

Now, when you lack the skill to actually sing this and think there's nothing wrong with it then you are clearly a shit vocalist, a shitty egotistical musician, and are tone deaf when you sing it the way Kanye did.

^Now, I'm not saying he had to sing it note from note, but either try to sustain a note properly in mix voice, don't mix notes so poorly proving how tone deaf you are, and/or change the style of cover to fit your own so it doesn't sound like pure shit.  Because it does indeed matter regardless of what Kanye thinks especially when you're covering one of the most iconic rock songs of all time sung by an actual god.  Well, to be fair, covering it in the original style.

Now, as to why I consider him tone deaf is he was flat and attempted to poorly sustain notes, and he mixed notes that didn't go together.  That's not just a lack of ability, that's literally being tone deaf.

^This is how you cover Queen properly when singing in the original style.  She did an actual good job of not sounding tone deaf, and was perfectly capable of sustaining notes.  Hell, her vibrato technique is phenomenal.  I just can't give Kanye credit, sorry.

Having a smile on his face doesn't necessarily equate to him thinking he did a perfect job singing the song, but having the audience sing along to the song essentially proved a point Kanye has been making for years.

The emotion  of a performance matter more than skill with which it is performed. 

While you might not agree (and I'm certainly right there with you), you can't just dismiss it as a lack of skill, since the lack of skill is the whole point. 

Since you brought up the Sex Pistols, it's basically not any different from Sid Vicious covering Frank Sinatra.

Here you also had the least talented vocalist his generation covering one of the most talented vocalists of the previous generation. 

Burying the previous generations, trends and fashions in pure pathos. You take what was theirs and you pervert it.  

And expelling that pathos in a meaningful way could easily be considered a skill onto itself. 

Again, I don't think his singing style (or rather, lack thereof) is enough to lable him as tone deaf. 

If I was to sing Queen it would probably sound very much like that. Not becuase I'm tone deaf, but becuase I simply lack the skill to make my voice sound like I want it to.

Also, if you hear the things Kanye has made outside of singing, be it his rapping or producer work, his quite obviously not tone deaf. 

Lastly, if we are just to dismiss Kanye (or anyone for that matter) on these grounds we'll be no different than out parents telling us to turn of the noise. 

My grandfather told my dad to turn down Minor Threat, my dad told me to turn down Cannibal Corpse and in 5 years I'll probably yell at my daughter to turn down whatever artist(s) Little Pump gives birth to. 

18 hours ago, Volbet said:

Another man of culture 

I always had a love/hate relationship with Mendelsohn. While he could defiently compose, I just find it hard to overcome his style. 

The kinda pompous, romatic baroque revival just comes off a bit too melodramatic for me.

But damn if Elijah isn't a masterpiece. 

Actually had the chance to go listen to Mendelssohn's Scottish live recently, have a friend who's a violinist in the orchestra who was able to get free tickets. 

Got another free ticket to go see Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto Op. 64 the next Saturday, I'm looking forward to it though my friend dislikes that particular piece.

If you don't mind me asking, what pieces did you enjoy the most, and what pieces did you enjoy the least by Mendelssohn? 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

19 hours ago, MyInnerFred said:

Actually had the chance to go listen to Mendelssohn's Scottish live recently, have a friend who's a violinist in the orchestra who was able to get free tickets. 

Got another free ticket to go see Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto Op. 64 the next Saturday, I'm looking forward to it though my friend dislikes that particular piece.

I would love to be in that situation. 

The state-run concert hall do throw a lot of classical concerts, but the tickets are still rather expensive. 

19 hours ago, MyInnerFred said:

If you don't mind me asking, what pieces did you enjoy the most, and what pieces did you enjoy the least by Mendelssohn? 

I'm not extremely well versed in Mendelssohn's work. I'm mainly aquinted with the works he created while living in England.

As weird as it may sound, I think my answer for both would be Elijah

I love it becuase it becuase it's a beautifully composed piece of baroque revial, with obvious clues taken from J.S. Bach and Händel (hell, it was a direct respons to Händel's Messiah). 

I kinda hate it becuase it's also a very romatic piece, with melodramatic choirs and a composition that tend to favour quiet-loud-quiet contrasts. 

Essentially, I hate it becuase I really want to love it. 

Today mood, Nightwish, bewbs Floor Jansen.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

21 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

@Volbet

Good news!   We're on page 666, and guess who just announced the completion of their new album?

Reveal hidden contents

No automatic alt text available.

Reveal hidden contents

Not a new song/just what I'm listening to.

I had no idea Einherjer had a new album in the works. I don't think I've listened to them since Blot.

When is the new album due?

Although. I was so thrilled when i heard they were doing a re-recording of that Dragons of the North. I always felt like that had a lot of potential but suffered due to poor execution. 

But I just never got around to listening to it.  

And since it is page 666

Man, the first three Gorgoroth albums are so good. 

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

As for page 666

We could also take it back to the original Satan rockers:

Or as my dad once called both Coven and Black Widow: "Hipster Black Sabbath".

16 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Not really Satanic, and more of an obscure version of the Sabbath/proto-metal sound.

Has some older Deep Purple vibes to it too.

A lot of the late ´60's rock music ended up sounding the same. A lot of mixed heavier blues rock (think Cream, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin) and psych-rock. 

In terms of music, neither Coven or Black Widow are fundamentally different from, say, Jefferson Airplane.

But I still think the best thing to come out at that time was Cromagnon:

Think early noise rock, psychadelic rock, bagpipes and black metal shrieks.  

And since it's still page 666

New Archgoat album is due in September and I'm beyond stoked. 

31 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

On a different note, how do you feel about some of the more skilled 60s/70s vocalists that not a lot of people remember?

Two of my faves from that era are Joe Lynn Turner and Graham Bonnet.

^Always loved Graham's powerful baritonal pipes from Rainbow and anything he ever touched.

Not a huge fan of the guy on guitar as he is literally trying to be an Yngwie clone, but still Graham's vocals are godly.

You have a good point here. I've never heard of any of them, but they are really good. 

I always thought the ´60's were a weird decade for vocalists. In most cases it seemed like the vocalist was just part of the band in order to tell a story rather than to be a part of the instrumentation. The ´60's seems more like the decade of the guitar hero (think Clapton, Hendrix, Blackmore, etc)

For example, I always thought Peter Gabriel and Arthur Brown had amazing voices, but neither seems to be remembered much for their vocal skills. 

And both seemed like they had to incorporate theatrics in order to be noticed. 

When it comes to personal underrated vocalists from the ´60's, then I've always had a soft spot for Rod Evens, the original vocalist for Deep Purple.

While he technically doesn't hold a candle to Ian Gillian, he does have a very nice, understated voice that was perfect for the heavy blues style of early Deep Purple:

Greg Lake is also hughly underrated: 

Whenever people talk of King Crimson they usually end up talking about Robert Fripp, who is great musician in his own right, but Greg Lake's voice really made King Crimson for me. 

Edit: 

Still on page 666