Should my laptop temps be hitting this?

JohnDeereBro

I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure the i5-8250U is not an inferno of a chip. Should it be hitting the temps shown below? 

Screenshot (3).png

1 minute ago, JohnDeereBro said:

I'm no expert, but I am pretty sure the i5-8250U is not an inferno of a chip. Should it be hitting the temps shown below? 

Screenshot (3).png

Depends on what you're doing with it and what laptop you have. In a thin and light laptop playing fornite, basically stressing the chip to the max, yeah that looks just about right. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Depends on what you're doing with it and what laptop you have. In a thin and light laptop playing fornite, basically stressing the chip to the max, yeah that looks just about right. 

Ok, makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, JohnDeereBro said:

Screenshot (3).png

JEEZ THAT'S HOT, your barely peaking 73% and its 97C? 

what laptop

what gpu

settings on fortnite

can you reapply thermal paste

EDIT: its soe thin laptop with no fan thats about right, even with fan

Just now, FakeFBI said:

JEEZ THAT'S HOT, your barely peaking 73% and its 97C? 

what laptop

what gpu

settings on fortnite

can you reapply thermal paste

It's a dell inspiron 15 5000 series. GPU is intel uhd 620. I am running performance mode because anything else sucks. I probably can't reapply thermal paste(who feels comfortable opening a laptop?).

3 minutes ago, pixxel said:

A laptop is gonna laptop, meaning its gonna run hot. That's sadly just how they are. My old gaming laptop would sit in the 90's all day...

This shouldn't cause any severe damage to the chip, the laptop will shutdown if the CPU gets too hot. Its running within spec. However, I'd recommend undervolting and tuning the fan curve a little to get the temps lower. That should increase the longevity of your cooling system and squeeze a bit more performance out of the chip :3

What can i use to tune fan curve?

Just now, JohnDeereBro said:

It's a dell inspiron 15 5000 series. GPU is intel uhd 620. I am running performance mode because anything else sucks. I probably can't reapply thermal paste(who feels comfortable opening a laptop?).

ooooo that makes sense, yea integrated graphics gets hot

5 minutes ago, pixxel said:

A laptop is gonna laptop, meaning its gonna run hot. That's sadly just how they are. My old gaming laptop would sit in the 90's all day...

This shouldn't cause any severe damage to the chip, the laptop will shutdown if the CPU gets too hot. Its running within spec. However, I'd recommend undervolting and tuning the fan curve a little to get the temps lower. That should increase the longevity of your cooling system and squeeze a bit more performance out of the chip :3

Will undervolting decrease my already bad performance?

28 minutes ago, JohnDeereBro said:

Will undervolting decrease my already bad performance?

Possibly, but your laptop is already at 97C it's definitely throttling, so it's worth a shot. ThrottleStop is my personal fav program for software undervolting. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I don't entirely think your laptop is really going to be working much longer if you just leave it running at 99c.

The cpu is SUPPOSED to be able to handle that temp before shutting the machine off , but I've never seen any machine run at 99c and live to tell about it.