My GPU pins are worn and don't read, what do I do?!?

My GTX 1070 pins are worn, to even get the card to read and start I had to place the card at an angle,

I noticed the card wasn't dead because it still worked at an angle, it did wonderfully but when it moved an inch it would crash,

and because of sometimes it wouldn't load, I spent a lot of time trying to find the right spot for it to work where it would read but,

it was just too much for me to handle so i went back to my 1050ti, please! is there a way to could fix the pins or like renew them,

I really need the card and buying a new one for the price of a brand new pc would be a nightmare,

any way to allow them to better connect to the mother board.

any info helps, I am begging at this point.

Different slot on the motherboard, perhaps? 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

as long as there still metal fins intact you have no problem.

you can clean it with IPA or scrub it with pencil eraser to clean all dirt.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You sure the pins are worn? Maybe it's a micro fracture in one of the traces or under the GPU itself.

Regardless, here something you could try - It sounds silly, but take the entire computer and turn it up-side-down. The top is bottom, etc. With gravity pulling on the card the other direction, it might solve your problem.

Make a good photo of the pins I'm curious how they look, and otherwise I agree cleaning them with isopropyl or even better contact cleaner would probably fix it, also cleaning the pcie slot of course .

1 minute ago, StDragon said:

turn it up-side-down. The top is bottom, etc. With gravity pulling on the card the other direction, it might solve your problem.

Works for my PlayStation! 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Sounds more like a bad PCIE slot. Pins on a GPU should never get worn out.. you would literally have to slot and remove it thousands of times to wear it down enough to affect contact inside the slot. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Sounds more like a bad PCIE slot. Pins on a GPU should never get worn out.. you would literally have to slot and remove it thousands of times to wear it down enough to affect contact inside the slot. 

I placed my older gpu and it works alright, but the 1070 doesnt.

6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

You sure the pins are worn? Maybe it's a micro fracture in one of the traces or under the GPU itself.

Regardless, here something you could try - It sounds silly, but take the entire computer and turn it up-side-down. The top is bottom, etc. With gravity pulling on the card the other direction, it might solve your problem.

Interestingly enough it worked better with gravity pulling it down but that solution is starting to also not work.

Just now, Kits said:

Interestingly enough it worked better with gravity pulling it down but that solution is starting to also not work.

I'm thinking it's thermal related exasperating a crack in the solder someplace. The actual process for fixing a card is GPU reflow. It's not for the faint of heart, and should only be performed by a professional.

If the card is still under manufacture warranty, see if you can get an RMA (replacement) before doing anything that would otherwise void it.