Should I get the focal clear

spartaman64

https://www.headphones.com/collections/focal-clear-collection/products/focal-clear-over-ear-open-back-headphones

A few days ago I was looking for headphones in the $500-1000 range and I was looking at the focal elex, lcd2 etc but I noticed now that clear is on sale and its within my budget. Is it worth the price to go for them?

34 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

https://www.headphones.com/collections/focal-clear-collection/products/focal-clear-over-ear-open-back-headphones

A few days ago I was looking for headphones in the $500-1000 range and I was looking at the focal elex, lcd2 etc but I noticed now that clear is on sale and its within my budget. Is it worth the price to go for them?

You’re already at ten times what I would consider, so I suspect that’s all on you.  If you’re dropping that kind of dough though it would make sense to listen to some first.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

for the price the clears are excellent very revealing headphone so it heavily depends on what your source gear is. Also clears are excellent oif you want something for monitoring or critical listening but the sound sig on them are definitely not for everyone. what are your main use cases for the heapdhone?

40 minutes ago, rice guru said:

for the price the clears are excellent very revealing headphone so it heavily depends on what your source gear is. Also clears are excellent oif you want something for monitoring or critical listening but the sound sig on them are definitely not for everyone. what are your main use cases for the heapdhone?

well the source is obviously going to be the liquid spark you recommended me lol. i listen to a lot of different music but a lot of jpop/edm. i actually had the elex but the right driver was dead so i returned it. but from what i can hear out of my left ear it sounded pretty good. i can understand what the reviewers mean by dynamics

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

well the source is obviously going to be the liquid spark you recommended me lol. i listen to a lot of different music but a lot of jpop/edm. i actually had the elex but the right driver was dead so i returned it. but from what i can hear out of my left ear it sounded pretty good. i can understand what the reviewers mean by dynamics

so what kind of sound are you looking to move from the 990? more specifically are you looking for something more revealing, something more critical, more balanced sounding. 

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

so what kind of sound are you looking to move from the 990? more specifically are you looking for something more revealing, something more critical, more balanced sounding. 

im not really sure tbh maybe critical 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

im not really sure tbh maybe critical 

you could go with the 1990 its a more critical more neutral sounding headphone. you are definitely gonna get an upgrade gaming wise. for a good planar option for critical  listening would be the Ananda and maybe the Mr. speakers Eon2 open 

12 minutes ago, rice guru said:

you could go with the 1990 its a more critical more neutral sounding headphone. you are definitely gonna get an upgrade gaming wise. for a good planar option for critical  listening would be the Ananda and maybe the Mr. speakers Eon2 open 

the thing holding me back from the 1990 is that i heard that its very similar to the 990 and i want something a little different a change of pace. i no longer play csgo so im not really concerned about gaming performance anymore lol. ill look for some reviews on the other two

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

the thing holding me back from the 1990 is that i heard that its very similar to the 990 and i want something a little different a change of pace. i no longer play csgo so im not really concerned about gaming performance anymore lol. ill look for some reviews on the other two

The. Yes if you do want something different. Going with another driver type like planar is the most direct way to get a different sound. I'm a big fan of the audeze lcd 2 and hope to get one in the collection at some point really good open sounding but not a slouch in the bass region should be fun for edm especially if you like subbass with above smooth treble and great timbre. It goes away from the critical side of things and more in the relaxing side of headphones they are just pretty heavy. 

Why not Abyss 1266 Phi TC?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

The. Yes if you do want something different. Going with another driver type like planar is the most direct way to get a different sound. I'm a big fan of the audeze lcd 2 and hope to get one in the collection at some point really good open sounding but not a slouch in the bass region should be fun for edm especially if you like subbass with above smooth treble and great timbre. It goes away from the critical side of things and more in the relaxing side of headphones they are just pretty heavy. 

i considered the lcd x but heard they are not really great without EQ. this will probably be the last headphones i buy so im looking for sort of an end game headphone

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Why not Abyss 1266 Phi TC?

over my budget and their current drama about wrinkled drivers, snake oil cables, and their beef with amirm sort of puts me off of abyss headphones. 

ofc i dont 100% agree with ASR as i want the focal clears but abyss' initial response is overly hostile and with the rest of the stuff doesnt give me much confidence in how they treat customers

Yeah, I was just kidding 😛  No way I'm gonna ever spend such amount of money on that one ugly motherfucker headphone lol. It looks like a retard lol, very hideous too.

And regarding endgame headphone. That's quite a long way, I was there and finally achieved that. My last one endgame headphone was the Klipsch Heritage HP-3. After a half year, I couldn't resist the temptation to get the Tygr 300R and this is one of my endgame headphones too. This hobby is extremely subjective.

I wanted the Focal Radiance but the silly Bentley logo puts me off. And then the horror stories about the earpads not the same. For real? €1299 and complaints about the earpads. Later I wanted the newest Focal Clear Mg but I can't justify the price and won't spend a dime on it. I dropped them both off the list and moved on.

And from your concerns, it will be pretty difficult to pick one. There are other headphones under 1000$ that are better than Focals but like I said, this hobby is extremely subjective.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280