What happens if I only connect one RCA cable in this type of speaker?

Romano
Go to solution Solved by BrianTheElectrician,
On 3/30/2021 at 9:10 PM, Romano said:

You're technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Each speaker has both left and right RCA inputs (I don't know why a single speaker would have left and right input)

I purchased both speakers separately (so I guess they are not meant to be used together)

But I use them together to watch movies, so I wanted to separate the left and right channels to have stereo sound (not mono) so I did what I did in the OG post. But since I'm a noob at this of sound I wasn't sure if what I did was wrong (disconnecting an RCA cable on each speaker to force stereo sound)

For peace of mind I just ordered this: https://soundmatters.com/product/left-right-channel-stereo-splitter/?fbclid=IwAR3dIUsg2ucqXnPfW-KUBzviT9wWqVJlMKUlf3mM_aEX_r4ShBVa6UWa79w to have both RCA cables connected but split the signal with that cable adapter.

It would have 2 rca inputs so that using the one speaker it would play back the sound from both channels, essentially turning stereo into mono bit giving you all the sound at least. Otherwise it would only be able to play one channel or the other which can and would likely lead to sound being left out. Not an issue in your application with using two of them but as its intended to be used as just a single it would be necessary in that situation.

I have two of these speakers and I'm trying to get stereo sound (left and right)

So I disconnected the White cable on the right speaker and disconnected the Red cable on the Left Speaker and its giving me stereo sound, (I'm using this adapter: https://rads.stackoverflow.com/amzn/click/com/B00LM0ZGK6)

My question: What I did was wrong? is it bad to disconnect one of these cables? will the speaker sound less loud? or not at 100%?

image.png.4e46542312aafa61e263b39a92b01bb2.png

D_NQ_NP_848293-MLV30989401816_062019-W.jpg

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

Depending on the speaker, and how it is controlled, yes, it is possible they are not going to be as loud as they may have been otherwise. Is there anything wrong doing what you have done? Nope. 

35 minutes ago, Romano said:

I have two of these speakers and I'm trying to get stereo sound (left and right)

So I disconnected the White cable on the right speaker and disconnected the Red cable on the Left Speaker and its giving me stereo sound, (I'm using this adapter: https://rads.stackoverflow.com/amzn/click/com/B00LM0ZGK6)

My question: What I did was wrong? is it bad to disconnect one of these cables? will the speaker sound less loud? or not at 100%?

image.png.4e46542312aafa61e263b39a92b01bb2.png

D_NQ_NP_848293-MLV30989401816_062019-W.jpg

If I understand correctly, each speaker has both left and right rca inputs? If so and your only wanting each speaker to playback one channel then it should be fine. Whether it's any less loud or not depends on the speaker. 

The adapter you linked to is just a 3.5mm headphone splitter which will still carry both channels. I don't see any issue with how you've set it up wiring wise.

38 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

If I understand correctly, each speaker has both left and right rca inputs? If so and your only wanting each speaker to playback one channel then it should be fine. Whether it's any less loud or not depends on the speaker. 

The adapter you linked to is just a 3.5mm headphone splitter which will still carry both channels. I don't see any issue with how you've set it up wiring wise.

Each speaker has both left and right RCA inputs (I don't know why a single speaker would have left and right input)

I purchased both speakers separately (so I guess they are not meant to be used together)

But I use them together to watch movies, so I wanted to separate the left and right channels to have stereo sound (not mono) so I did what I did in the OG post. But since I'm a noob at this of sound I wasn't sure if what I did was wrong (disconnecting an RCA cable on each speaker to force stereo sound)

For peace of mind I just ordered this: https://soundmatters.com/product/left-right-channel-stereo-splitter/?fbclid=IwAR3dIUsg2ucqXnPfW-KUBzviT9wWqVJlMKUlf3mM_aEX_r4ShBVa6UWa79w to have both RCA cables connected but split the signal with that cable adapter.

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

CPU: i7-3770k @4.3 / GPU: GTX 1080 Asus Strix / Cooling: CoolerMaster V8 / Mobo: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth / Ram: 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury / SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / HDD: Western Digital 4TB

PSU: Corsair RM 1000 / Case: Corsair 750D / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3.5 / Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma Green Kailh switches /  Mouse mat: Razer Destructor  

Monitor: BenQ XL24II 144Hz / Projector: BenQ W1070 110' Screen / Controller: Xbox One Wireless / Headset: Logitech G930 7.1 Devices: Honor 8 - Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10'

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workstation PC

CPU: i5-6600k / Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX /  Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene / Ram: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000Mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD: Western Digital 1TB / PSU: Corsair CX 450M / Case: Corsair Air 240 / OS: Windows 10 / Mouse: Corsair Logitech MX Master / Keyboard: Quisan TKL Cherry MX Brown switches /

Speakers: Kanto YU2GW Headphones: Logitech H150 / Monitor: LG 29UM68-P Ultrawide 29" / 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:10 PM, Romano said:

It would have 2 rca inputs so that using the one speaker it would play back the sound from both channels, essentially turning stereo into mono bit giving you all the sound at least. Otherwise it would only be able to play one channel or the other which can and would likely lead to sound being left out. Not an issue in your application with using two of them but as its intended to be used as just a single it would be necessary in that situation.

On 3/31/2021 at 3:45 AM, Romano said:

It will work 100% fine. Like you said it gets you stereo. 
You will have the exact same volume unless you plug both Reds or both Yellows in as in that case your halfling the output power of the signal. But since your not Its fine.

Is it wrong or bad. No its a bit strange maybe not the most logical way of doing it. They do make RCA extensions but it works

18 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

That makes a lot of sense now

SgtDeathAdder

Gaming PC:

Workstation PC