Gigabyte Thermal pad issues and voiding warranty

Tadziunia

Hey guys, i have RTX 3080 gaming oc from gigabyte, been using it for three months, didn't mine with it, however memory temps at stock seems to be too high, it's around 100c while gpu itself heats to 67c.

I did post earlier, and it's well know issue not only for gigabyte but seen someoone with msi suprim card with same issue. Gigabyte has terrible support, i asked them about thermal pads and can i change it myself, there is plenty of people with same issue and atleast in USA people are changing them, but i am in Europe. And gigabyte responded that i shouldn't dissasemble my card myself, i should bring it to retailer and they should send it to them. However i heard that it takes month to get card back and i have no warranty if i will get card back at all, they might say, ogh sorry we wanted to replace it but we are out of stock, so we will give your money back, i got it for 1240eur and now 3080s go for 2.5k eur, so if i get my money back i can't even buy rtx 3070 for same money. Also i don't have backup gpu to live month with no GPU. What to do ? should i ignore GIGABYTE and just change pads myself, but what about warranty even though there is no sticker on card with void warranty if removed. I am not breaking card just improving... I am so lost.. suggestions ?

17 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

i got it for 1240eur and now 3080s go for 2.5k eur

sell it for 2.5k eur and get another model around that price

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Ask for a cross-ship RMA and wait for it to be approved. You’ll need a credit card hold but that way you’ll know you have a replacement available for your card. If the customer service person you’re talking to is hesitating or not working with you just ask for a manager. 

5 hours ago, Moonzy said:

sell it for 2.5k eur and get another model around that price

People don't want gigabyte card for that much money sadly 🙂

You could try getting a heatsink from 1 or 2U servers and paste it on the backplate using thermal pads. 

20210329_101850275_iOS.thumb.jpg.2d850950d923725a3fbc0354e699641e.jpg

17 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

You could try getting a heatsink from 1 or 2U servers and paste it on the backplate using thermal pads. 

20210329_101850275_iOS.thumb.jpg.2d850950d923725a3fbc0354e699641e.jpg

This is for 3090 since there's nothing chilling the backside VRAM

3080 VRAM is only at the front

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

• 4 months later...

A bit late but i thought its worth it. I have the same issue and i have contacted gigabyte support (I'm also from EU)

Here is their answer:

1. What is the normal temperature range you consider OK for the VRAM on this GPU model?

A: We do not have related information for reference. As mentioned in previous mail, our engineer had tested this graphics card in normal usage and gaming without problem found. If there is any problem with your graphics card, because we can hardly define the root cause without looking at the platform, kindly contact your supplier (where you bought the product) and they shall follow a standard warranty/RMA procedure.

2. Does re-paste the GPU voids the warranty? Please answer clearly.

As mentioned in previous mail, if there is any damage while taking a part the hardware, then it will void warranty. 

The failure caused by improper installation, operation, cleaning or maintenance, accidental and physical damage, misuse, abuse, or other modification, remedy taken by GIGABYTE or service centers not authorized by GIGABYTE.

If there is any problem with the hardware, because the warranty depends on your supplier, please contact your supplier and let them help you to do further examination. 

So basically, replacing thermal pads and paste does not void your warranty as long as you do not damage anything in the process or in consequence of it.