Gigabyte RTX 3080 gaming OC memory overheating

Tadziunia

Hey guys, i encoutered problem with my gigabyte card, while gpu doesn't heat up to 68c, memory heats up to 100. Also i noticed oil on fans itself it's most likely thermal pads. After some research i am not alone, vision, eagle and gaming oc have cheapo thermal pads and they are bad. Some people just change them, i would do it myself, But there is no information about voiding warranty by replacing thermal pads. I am not breaking i would fix the problem. Shop i bought my 3080 told me that they don't know if i can open it and change pads without voiding warranty, they said to ask Gigabyte but gigabyte has terrible support, i wrote them message about bent 8 pin connector pin on my 3080, didnd't get answer in three weeks. How to contact them ? where should i seek information ? Because currently i can return my card to shop and they will return money, But i paid 1240eur and 3080's in my country goes for 2600eur, they won't change my 3080 to another because prime price of new cards they got are too high. For 1240eur i can't even buy 3070 now. If someone managed to contact gigabyte please tell me how ??

2 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

Hey guys, i encoutered problem with my gigabyte card, while gpu doesn't heat up to 68c, memory heats up to 100. Also i noticed oil on fans itself it's most likely thermal pads. After some research i am not alone, vision, eagle and gaming oc have cheapo thermal pads and they are bad. Some people just change them, i would do it myself, But there is no information about voiding warranty by replacing thermal pads. I am not breaking i would fix the problem. Shop i bought my 3080 told me that they don't know if i can open it and change pads without voiding warranty, they said to ask Gigabyte but gigabyte has terrible support, i wrote them message about bent 8 pin connector pin on my 3080, didnd't get answer in three weeks. How to contact them ? where should i seek information ? Because currently i can return my card to shop and they will return money, But i paid 1240eur and 3080's in my country goes for 2600eur, they won't change my 3080 to another because prime price of new cards they got are too high. For 1240eur i can't even buy 3070 now. If someone managed to contact gigabyte please tell me how ??

Which country?

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

Just now, 1ppOverheat said:

Which country?

Lithuania

Lithuania

What kind of support have you tried already? 

What kind of support have you tried already? 

contacted shop i bought it, they can take it and return money, no replacement and no different 3080 for same price i bought mine

1 minute ago, Tadziunia said:

contacted shop i bought it, they can take it and return money, no replacement and no different 3080 for same price i bought mine

I'm guessing you should wait. I mean, is the GPU usable at the moment?

I'm guessing you should wait. I mean, is the GPU usable at the moment?

with 100% fan speed at 90c on memory so kinda usable.

3 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

with 100% fan speed at 90c on memory so kinda usable.

How are your frames and clocks? Have you even checked that yet?

How are your frames and clocks? Have you even checked that yet?

I am using undervolt 0.875v with 1920mhz on core and stock memory clocks, gpu power usage went from 350w to 280w, but if i use stock while getting 350w and memory overheats with stock fan profile, i am getting fps drops a lot

3 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

I am using undervolt 0.875v with 1920mhz on core and stock memory clocks, gpu power usage went from 350w to 280w, but if i use stock while getting 350w and memory overheats with stock fan profile, i am getting fps drops a lot

Are you able to download TechPowerUp GPU-Z? I need you to check the "Sensors" tab on the "Hotspot" temperature in the program while playing the game.

Download it through here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

how exactly are you noticing that the memory is overheating, is the system crashing or games not responding randomly?

GPU memory is known to run extremely hot so unless there is an actual problem you are probably fine.

Are you able to download TechPowerUp GPU-Z? I need you to check the "Sensors" tab on the "Hotspot" temperautre in the program while playing the game.

Download it through here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

i am using hwinfo64 while playing in windowed mode with 200% upscale in warzone it runs like at 12million pixels just to check gpu performance and yes am still getting 100c at default and 90c with custom fan profile which is quite noisy but only then there is no problem, but difference between memory and gpu itself is massive, gpu runs at 60c, memory at 90c

Just now, Pixel5 said:

how exactly are you noticing that the memory is overheating, is the system crashing or games not responding randomly?

GPU memory is known to run extremely hot so unless there is an actual problem you are probably fine.

At stock after some time while gaming, performance starts to decrease, clocks seem the same, but fps goes down, not only in gaming but if i run 3dmark multiple times, score goes down even though clocks the same, but i notice that wattage also goes down when memory overheats. That's a problem for me

31 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

i wrote them message about bent 8 pin connector pin on my 3080, didnd't get answer in three weeks.

it's their design flaw

feel free to use a toothpick or something to straigthen them, it's fine

it happens because they're using an extension for the power plug, and the pins in the socket is wobbly, so they can wobble out of place

32 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

How to contact them ?

you don't

that's why i hate them

33 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

while gpu doesn't heat up to 68c, memory heats up to 100

this is normal for 3080 and 3090 which uses G6x (Esp 3090 with g6x module on the back of the pcb)

2 things:

1) the measured temp is Tjunction, meaning it reads temps right at the hottest part so it's normal to see high temps like these

2) because G6x has temp sensors, it'll throttle itself (at 110c) to prevent damage to itself, compared to other vram before it that doesn't have sensors and would overheat without knowing

so you can rest assured

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

i am using hwinfo64 while playing in windowed mode with 200% upscale in warzone it runs like at 12million pixels just to check gpu performance and yes am still getting 100c at default and 90c with custom fan profile which is quite noisy but only then there is no problem, but difference between memory and gpu itself is massive, gpu runs at 60c, memory at 90c

I don't think the memory temperature is your problem here though.. i never seen memory temp being lower than 90c, especially when running intensive games. Can you take a screenshot of your HWInfo64 window?

Just now, Moonzy said:

it's their design flaw

feel free to use a toothpick or something to straigthen them, it's fine

it happens because they're using an extension for the power plug, and the pins in the socket is wobbly, so they can wobble out of place

you don't

that's why i hate them

this is normal for 3080 and 3090 which uses G6x (Esp 3090 with g6x module on the back of the pcb)

2 things:

1) the measured temp is Tjunction, meaning it reads temps right at the hottest part so it's normal to see high temps like these

2) because G6x has temp sensors, it'll throttle itself (at 110c) to prevent damage to itself, compared to other vram before it that doesn't have sensors and would overheat without knowing

so you can rest assured

Literally this one

4 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

but i notice that wattage also goes down when memory overheats. That's a problem for me

if your memory temp reach 110c, it'll throttle down the card yes, i've much experience in this while fiddling with my 3090 under mining workload

not so much with my 3080, though

3080 VRAM runs around 100c under maximum load, only near 110c if i turn down the fan speed

but yes your GPU VRAM can cause your fan speed to ramp up a lot even though gpu core may be at 50-60c

and it may also cause power throttling under overheat conditions

Just now, Moonzy said:

if your memory temp reach 110c, it'll throttle down the card yes, i've much experience in this while fiddling with my 3090 under mining workload

not so much with my 3080, though

3080 VRAM runs around 100c under maximum load, only near 110c if i turn down the fan speed

but yes your GPU VRAM can cause your fan speed to ramp up a lot even though gpu core may be at 50-60c

and it may also cause power throttling under overheat conditions

so as far as it doesn't reach 110c i am fine ? but what about gigabyte policy i couldn't find anything, can i dissasembly card and put new pads, there is many people who change them and temperature decreased by 15c atleast also they added pads under backplate because there was non. I would do the same, but i am afraid if something else breaks i have no support

1 minute ago, Tadziunia said:

so as far as it doesn't reach 110c i am fine ?

this has been the case for my msi 3090, zotac 3080 and my gigabyte 3090

there's a possibility that gigabyte limits the 3080 g6x at 100c, though i can't see why they would

but what about gigabyte policy i couldn't find anything, can i dissasembly card and put new pads, there is many people who change them and temperature decreased by 15c atleast also they added pads under backplate because there was non. I would do the same, but i am afraid if something else breaks i have no support

i cannot confirm nor deny anything because

1) i dont represent gigabyte

2) i've had to deal with their non-existent customer service before, which is to send my GPU in for one month through my retailer, without any feedback nor responses

Just now, Moonzy said:

this has been the case for my msi 3090, zotac 3080 and my gigabyte 3090

there's a possibility that gigabyte limits the 3080 g6x at 100c, though i can't see why they would

i cannot confirm nor deny anything because

1) i dont represent gigabyte

2) i've had to deal with their non-existent customer service before, which is to send my GPU in for one month through my retailer, without any feedback nor responses

Damn gigabyte 😞

Just now, Tadziunia said:

At stock after some time while gaming, performance starts to decrease, clocks seem the same, but fps goes down, not only in gaming but if i run 3dmark multiple times, score goes down even though clocks the same, but i notice that wattage also goes down when memory overheats. That's a problem for me

if clocks stay the same the memory is probably not to blame here, GDDR6X memory is rated for up to 110°C and will not throttle until it hits that temperatur.

1 hour ago, Tadziunia said:

Because currently i can return my card to shop and they will return money, But i paid 1240eur and 3080's in my country goes for 2600eur, they won't change my 3080 to another because prime price of new cards they got are too high. For 1240eur i can't even buy 3070 now. If someone managed to contact gigabyte please tell me how ??

While most RTX 3080 suffer from high temperatures of their memory modules and what you are experiencing is quite normal, I will give you mine two cents on this. You have already established that you can't really return this card and get it replaced by the retailer. Gigabyte also wouldn't care as technically the 100C is within spec. Probably the best option you have is selling the card on ebay or another local classifieds site to you for a big profit. Then with that money you buy another scalped RTX 3080, but from a different AIB that doesn't have those issues. If you are intent on getting a RTX 3080 you will probably need to pay a bit extra on top of what you manage to sell yours for, as yours is used and most others out there are new. If you are not that big on RT you can try and get a 6900XT. Last time I have checked these do go for a bit cheaper, at least compared to a RTX 3080. 

The last option is to open up the card and replace the thermal pads. Also adding pads where possible, like between he pcb and the back plate. I had similar temperature issues with my XC3 Ultra. Memory was constantly hitting 95-100C when gaming. After changing the pads and adding some extra ones, the memory is now not going above 90C, which is quite decent. Thing to consider is that EVGA doesn't void the warranty for opening the card and replacing the pads and TIM. That being said, if you don't damage the card by doing this Gigabyte will probably not care either. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Just now, Analog said:

While most RTX 3080 suffer from high temperatures of their memory modules and what you are experiencing is quite normal, I will give you mine two cents on this. You have already established that you can't really return this card and get it replaced by the retailer. Gigabyte also wouldn't care as technically the 100C is within spec. Probably the best option you have is selling the card on ebay or another local classifieds site to you for a big profit. Then with that money you buy another scalped RTX 3080, but from a different AIB that doesn't have those issues. If you are intent on getting a RTX 3080 you will probably need to pay a bit extra on top of what you manage to sell yours for, as yours is used and most others out there are new. If you are not that big on RT you can try and get a 6900XT. Last time I have checked these do go for a bit cheaper, at least compared to a RTX 3080. 

The last option is to open up the card and replace the thermal pads. Also adding pads where possible, like between he pcb and the back plate. I had similar temperature issues with my XC3 Ultra. Memory was constantly hitting 95-100C when gaming. After changing the pads and adding some extra ones, the memory is now not going above 90C, which is quite decent. Thing to consider is that EVGA doesn't void the warranty for opening the card and replacing the pads and TIM. That being said, if you don't damage the card by doing this Gigabyte will probably not care either. 

I paid 1240eur for my 3080, in same shop i got it other versions of 3080 now goes for 2600eur, 6900xt goes for 3k eur, on used market, someone was selling 6900xt new for 1600eur with option to change it to 3080 with extra cash. I offered him mine 3080 and he said that he would ask to pay extra 300eur because gigabyte has thermal throttling issue at that moment i didn't know what he means... Now i get it.. The thing is maybe gigabyte won't care about chaging thermal pads, however if something else wrong happens gigabyte website tells me, that i should contact retailer i bought it from and retailer will send it to his supplier and that supplier has his own rules about warranty. The only thing i think is possible just to wait when gpu prices will go down and shop i bought it from will take it and i will get other brand 3080 for same price

5 hours ago, Tadziunia said:

Shop i bought my 3080 told me that they don't know if i can open it and change pads without voiding warranty,

But, they have to tell you.  You have a contract with them, not with gigabyte. 

4 hours ago, Tadziunia said:

This basically means you don't really have a working warranty anyways, so unless you can make the shop tell you if opening the card voids the warranty or not, you could try it anyway imo. 🤔

Also, to be clear, what's the highest memory temp you've seen yet... ?  Seems 100C is fine and there may be other issues with the card if you're seeing a noticeable performance loss. 

Lastly,  i feel you,  gigabyte's coolers are completely inadequate,  don't cool much at all until 95% fancurve or so and at 100% ever so slightly but still not even close to appropriate. 

I have pretty good results with undervolting however,  1000mv at 2025mhz,  64C max... 

Compared to stock 1930mhz 79C max...

It would appear these cards come with much too high voltage settings,  although that'll differ by model obviously and 3070 isn't directly comparable probably. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Quick updated i got answer from gigabyte atlast. They told me that i shouldn't open gpu myself and change thermal pads myself. I must bring card to shop where i bought it and retailer should send it to their service for examination and repair. So yeah, you can't open gpu yourself(even though there is nothing special in changing thermal pads any 5 year old could do that) without voiding warranty.