Gigabyte RTX 3080 gaming OC memory overheating

Tadziunia
22 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

But, they have to tell you.  You have a contract with them, not with gigabyte. 

This basically means you don't really have a working warranty anyways, so unless you can make the shop tell you if opening the card voids the warranty or not, you could try it anyway imo. 🤔

Also, to be clear, what's the highest memory temp you've seen yet... ?  Seems 100C is fine and there may be other issues with the card if you're seeing a noticeable performance loss. 

Lastly,  i feel you,  gigabyte's coolers are completely inadequate,  don't cool much at all until 95% fancurve or so and at 100% ever so slightly but still not even close to appropriate. 

I have pretty good results with undervolting however,  1000mv at 2025mhz,  64C max... 

Compared to stock 1930mhz 79C max...

It would appear these cards come with much too high voltage settings,  although that'll differ by model obviously and 3070 isn't directly comparable probably. 

On 3/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, Analog said:

While most RTX 3080 suffer from high temperatures of their memory modules and what you are experiencing is quite normal, I will give you mine two cents on this. You have already established that you can't really return this card and get it replaced by the retailer. Gigabyte also wouldn't care as technically the 100C is within spec. Probably the best option you have is selling the card on ebay or another local classifieds site to you for a big profit. Then with that money you buy another scalped RTX 3080, but from a different AIB that doesn't have those issues. If you are intent on getting a RTX 3080 you will probably need to pay a bit extra on top of what you manage to sell yours for, as yours is used and most others out there are new. If you are not that big on RT you can try and get a 6900XT. Last time I have checked these do go for a bit cheaper, at least compared to a RTX 3080. 

The last option is to open up the card and replace the thermal pads. Also adding pads where possible, like between he pcb and the back plate. I had similar temperature issues with my XC3 Ultra. Memory was constantly hitting 95-100C when gaming. After changing the pads and adding some extra ones, the memory is now not going above 90C, which is quite decent. Thing to consider is that EVGA doesn't void the warranty for opening the card and replacing the pads and TIM. That being said, if you don't damage the card by doing this Gigabyte will probably not care either. 

On 3/28/2021 at 3:14 PM, Pixel5 said:

if clocks stay the same the memory is probably not to blame here, GDDR6X memory is rated for up to 110°C and will not throttle until it hits that temperatur.

On 3/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, Moonzy said:

this has been the case for my msi 3090, zotac 3080 and my gigabyte 3090

there's a possibility that gigabyte limits the 3080 g6x at 100c, though i can't see why they would

i cannot confirm nor deny anything because

1) i dont represent gigabyte

2) i've had to deal with their non-existent customer service before, which is to send my GPU in for one month through my retailer, without any feedback nor responses

On 3/28/2021 at 3:00 PM, 1ppOverheat said:

Literally this one

Quick updated i got answer from gigabyte atlast. They told me that i shouldn't open gpu myself and change thermal pads myself. I must bring card to shop where i bought it and retailer should send it to their service for examination and repair. So yeah, you can't open gpu yourself(even though there is nothing special in changing thermal pads any 5 year old could do that) without voiding warranty.

Just now, Tadziunia said:

So yeah, you can't open gpu yourself(even though there is nothing special in changing thermal pads any 5 year old could do that) without voiding warranty.

they're telling you this because they're gonna take it back and not give it back to you, as many people who RMA-ed a 30-series gpu will tell you

[speculation] and offer you a refund at the price you bought it at and probably turn around and sell the card to another person at a higher price [/speculation]

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

2 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

Quick updated i got answer from gigabyte atlast. They told me that i shouldn't open gpu myself and change thermal pads myself. I must bring card to shop where i bought it and retailer should send it to their service for examination and repair. So yeah, you can't open gpu yourself(even though there is nothing special in changing thermal pads any 5 year old could do that) without voiding warranty.

Interesting... and yeah depends on country,  in USA opening something up  - without breaking it -  doesn't void warranty,  in EU however,  it does.  So much for EU being "pro consumer" i guess. 

Well, are you going to send it in?  If that works I might just do that as well,  since my card, at default settings, is really much too hot and the fans don't do much at all either.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Moonzy said:

they're telling you this because they're gonna take it back and not give it back to you, as many people who RMA-ed a 30-series gpu will tell you

[speculation] and offer you a refund at the price you bought it at and probably turn around and sell the card to another person at a higher price [/speculation]

Friend from shop i bought told similar story, considering they don't have 3080s for same price i bought it, they would take it back and return money i paid and most likely sell it for 2x and if another person brings it back they would send it to gigabyte maybe, understandable situation, i paid 1240eur for mine and shop got it from supplier for 1100eur, in two months prices increased even more and they bought couple 3080s for 2k eur and selling them for 2.5k eur and it still sells. Ofcource it would benefit them to give me my 1240eur and sell it for 1k+ of profit to someone else. Hell no. For 1240eur I can't even buy 3070 now, prices are too insane. Maybe i overreacted, my 3080 still fine, after some research and you guys told the same, up to 110c it won't thermal throttle, i play mostly warzone with 80% fan and undervolt memory stays at 90c, i am fine for now... going to send it later to gigabyte.

2 minutes ago, Tadziunia said:

Friend from shop i bought told similar story, considering they don't have 3080s for same price i bought it, they would take it back and return money i paid and most likely sell it for 2x and if another person brings it back they would send it to gigabyte maybe, understandable situation, i paid 1240eur for mine and shop got it from supplier for 1100eur, in two months prices increased even more and they bought couple 3080s for 2k eur and selling them for 2.5k eur and it still sells. Ofcource it would benefit them to give me my 1240eur and sell it for 1k+ of profit to someone else. Hell no. For 1240eur I can't even buy 3070 now, prices are too insane. Maybe i overreacted, my 3080 still fine, after some research and you guys told the same, up to 110c it won't thermal throttle, i play mostly warzone with 80% fan and undervolt memory stays at 90c, i am fine for now... going to send it later to gigabyte.

well my 3090 is throttling like crazy and i just strapped a AMD wraith spire onto the backplate for the time being

still throttles but at least not as bad (still worse than msi card without modification, gigabyte cards are shiiiiiiiiiit)

949235463_DSC_03892.thumb.JPG.611b0d3c97bcab610999c83be75f080c.JPG

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, _DeXTeR_ said:

If you have profs replace it with new one you have Warranty,

the thing is there no gpu to replace it 🙂 and even if there was it would be same gigabyte card with same cheap thermal pads. Already got answer from gigabyte, i can't replace it myself because it will void warranty and i must to send it to them for diagnostics and repair even though problem is clear and would take me 20minutes to replace thermal pads with higer quality onces... shitty gigabyte... nothing changes...

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Interesting... and yeah depends on country,  in USA opening something up  - without breaking it -  doesn't void warranty,  in EU however,  it does.  So much for EU being "pro consumer" i guess. 

Well, are you going to send it in?  If that works I might just do that as well,  since my card, at default settings, is really much too hot and the fans don't do much at all either.  

i would send it but i don't have any backup card, and i heard it will take atleast month to get my card back, i can't buy any backup card either something like 1050 ti goes for 300 eur here. Meanwhile i sold my 1080 Ti for 350eur half a year ago to my friend... he could sell it for 700eur now no problem.. but he won't. there is nothing to buy

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

gigabyte cards are shiiiiiiiiiit

they really are, and their motherboards feel cheap asf

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

100 is pretty high for gaming use, just slightly high for mining. I don't think you will get anything from Gigabyte since it is still operating in spec. Does Europe have right to repair laws? If so then Gigabyte stance on opening the card is not enforceable. Thermalright Odyssey pads from AliExpress would do the trick.