20k paperweight... Motherboard issues with Zenith II Extreme alpha

@ShrimpBrime

I wanted to kind of reset everything. all the troubleshooting steps, so I can gain some clarity. 

Upon booting, here are the things that I run into:

1. any ram that I use must be at the default speed. I have tried with 3 different sets (GSkill F4-3600C18Q2-256GTZN, F4-3200C16Q2-256GTZN, and Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16) and for the 8 Dimms, I can only populate 7. 

2. If I go into the BIOS and do ANYTHING, on reboot, I get stuck at C0 and "Memory Test". tried both BIOSs. and all RAM modules, in any configuration.

2a: Memory passes Memtest86

3. I was able to install windows 10 on the machine, but a warm reboot will leave the system with "Check CPU" I have to cut power and then reboot

4. if the 10G NIC is plugged in, causes network issues and makes my router reboot. 

5. in Unraid, if accessed across the network, will cause Kernel Panic. 

I have no experience with threadripper, so take this with a grain of salt. 

What happens if you turn the clock speed on the Infinity Fabric down? Are you able to get it more stable with say 1600 mhz IF and 3200 mhz ram speed? 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

15 minutes ago, theskaz said:

@ShrimpBrime

I wanted to kind of reset everything. all the troubleshooting steps, so I can gain some clarity. 

Upon booting, here are the things that I run into:

1. any ram that I use must be at the default speed. I have tried with 3 different sets (GSkill F4-3600C18Q2-256GTZN, F4-3200C16Q2-256GTZN, and Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16) and for the 8 Dimms, I can only populate 7. 

2. If I go into the BIOS and do ANYTHING, on reboot, I get stuck at C0 and "Memory Test". tried both BIOSs. and all RAM modules, in any configuration.

2a: Memory passes Memtest86

3. I was able to install windows 10 on the machine, but a warm reboot will leave the system with "Check CPU" I have to cut power and then reboot

4. if the 10G NIC is plugged in, causes network issues and makes my router reboot. 

5. in Unraid, if accessed across the network, will cause Kernel Panic. 

The memory test C0 may be part of the memory training during post. Generally with Asus boards it's common during training that the board will turn on and off 3 times before post.

That said, I'm not at surprise the memory will only run Jedec frequencies, however the 7 of 8 slots thing is super strange to me. This should be a non issue at Jedec speeds (2133mhz). However in some cases, other Jedec speeds seem to work better than 2133mhz like 2400mhz or 2667mhz. 

None of the memory listed looks to be of decent quality.

Timings ranging 16-18-18 to 18-20-20 has me suspect SK Hynix which is known to play horribly with Ryzen.

You should be running no less than Samsung B-Die or Micron E-Die hits. Buying faster than 3200mhz will be a loss when the IMC won't handle 256GB at these frequencies and even with these quality dies, getting past 2933mhz with that amount of memory installed. 

It's like a work station platform. Geared for redundancy, you may be stick at Jedec speeds beyond 128gb of memory installed.

But if this where mine, I'd sell/return all 3 memory kits and find some B-Die instead. But remember not to expect to run past Jedec speeds at 128GB+ installed.

I think the rest should fall into place honestly. Memory Die bin on Ryzen is pretty important.

Can you offer a recommendation? I thought i got the best available ram on the 3600mhz. Its going to run VMs so i need all the 256GBs

F4-3200C15D-64GVK  

RipJaws 5. It's B-die, but with a Jedec timing set of 15-15-15-35 but up to 3200mt/s.

The point is between stock (Jedec) or any overclock you do with them, the timing set doesn't have to change.

52 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

F4-3200C15D-64GVK  

RipJaws 5. It's B-die, but with a Jedec timing set of 15-15-15-35 but up to 3200mt/s.

The point is between stock (Jedec) or any overclock you do with them, the timing set doesn't have to change.

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 256GB (8 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q2-256GVK - Newegg.com

is this going to have the same dies?

ah crap.... maybe ECC ram? or just use this as a test. my system will definitely need more than 128GB Ram when it is running. I will say that the 3200 GSkill that I first got worked for quite a while. the 3600 never worked in that system, and the other is from another machine that needs to go back. 

1 minute ago, theskaz said:

ah crap.... maybe ECC ram? or just use this as a test. my system will definitely need more than 128GB Ram when it is running. I will say that the 3200 GSkill that I first got worked for quite a while. the 3600 never worked in that system, and the other is from another machine that needs to go back. 

That's up to you on the ECC. You will be running Jedec speeds most likely either way. Just wanted to offer something of known quality dies so we can totally rule out this as an issue. Obviously you've taken notice to the price premium for that fact.....

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That's up to you on the ECC. You will be running Jedec speeds most likely either way. Just wanted to offer something of known quality dies so we can totally rule out this as an issue. Obviously you've taken notice to the price premium for that fact.....

ordered that specific kit. should get it friday. Ill probably try and RMA the RAM I have now. the 3200 threw an error on memtest.

@ShrimpBrime Got the ram a few minutes ago and was able to run it at DOCP standards. but... the moment I changed anything in the bios and saved, it went to C0 again.... then Mem test.

Just now, theskaz said:

@ShrimpBrime Got the ram a few minutes ago and was able to run it at DOCP standards. but... the moment I changed anything in the bios and saved, it went to C0 again.... then Mem test.

Well.... hhmmff.

Start trying bios's. 

The motherboard disk will have bios recovery and will install the factory shipped bios. Then incrementally all the way to the latest. (Yes, this is how overclockers test memory with main boards, you never know... that one certain bios might be the ticket.) 

That's where I'm at with it at this point. 

ok its on the latest, ill start regressing

13 minutes ago, theskaz said:

ok its on the latest, ill start regressing

That's all I can think of at this time because of the symptoms.

What a hassle this has been. I can't imagine your frustration. Well a little bit, but wow. We tried numerous pieces of hardware here...... 😞

17 minutes ago, theskaz said:

3 different BIOSs...all same issue.... @ShrimpBrime

SAS installed? Everything is installed as normally correct? 

Or we are trying this bare bones?

And the dreadful question of trying a different make and model of board.... (If local PC shop could help out free/cheap) Would let the Tech read this thread for info as well)

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

SAS installed? Everything is installed as normally correct? 

Or we are trying this bare bones?

And the dreadful question of trying a different make and model of board.... (If local PC shop could help out free/cheap) Would let the Tech read this thread for info as well)

barebones at this point. I have a video card and one nvme drive installed. I live in Cheyenne so there is no local shop that Im aware of that will have a mobo for a 3990x

drove down to Micro Center in Denver yesterday and they had none in stock. Opened another case with Asus... frustrating.

34 minutes ago, theskaz said:

drove down to Micro Center in Denver yesterday and they had none in stock. Opened another case with Asus... frustrating.

That's all you can do at this point.

Good luck though.

They accepted it as an RMA.... again... 

fingers crossed. Watching Bearded Hardware playing with this CPU right now....

Update, got my GSKILL RMA back. got 8 new dimms 3600MHz, fingers crossed when my board gets back...

if its still a 20k paperweight, i will take it. i have a massive amount of papers that a 5k paperweight simply wont hold down,

1 minute ago, tdkid said:

if its still a 20k paperweight, i will take it. i have a massive amount of papers that a 5k paperweight simply wont hold down,

I have parts everywhere lol. holding down the table, part of the floor, and keeping that one wall up...

7 minutes ago, theskaz said:

I have parts everywhere lol. holding down the table, part of the floor, and keeping that one wall up...

does your case look anything like this? 5YJSwea.jpeg

6 minutes ago, tdkid said:

does your case look anything like this? 5YJSwea.jpeg

no, but i am thoroughly impressed! mine looks like this: (HDD Cage in the back under the UPS

20210622_154542.jpg