Which kind of dram is better for SSDs

Go to solution Solved by NewMaxx,
21 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Which kind of dram is better in SSDs  LPDDR4, DDR3, DDR4 ?

One point I forgot in my first reply that might interest you...the reason it rarely matters is because DRAM on a consumer SSD is used for metadata, like mapping/addressing, specifically to be faster than going to the copy on the NAND/flash. This is particularly true with small I/O, e.g. 4K. So therefore latency is the primary concern more than bandwidth. What you typically see is that a single drive model that comes over time with two different DRAM configurations, i.e. DDR3 and DDR4, that the true latency - this is the latency calculated by looking at effective clock rate and latencies (e.g. CAS) - tends to be around the same. The manufacturer will pick what's cheapest or available in many cases and may vary the amount of DRAM which is a different discussion. However, from the perspective of the consumer/user, the primary difference to you will be as I said above: power consumption and relatedly, thermals.

It doesn't matter, it's absolutely irrelevant.

The type of memory used will be entirely up to the flash controller ... some controllers support only DDR3 or DDR3L (lower voltage DDR3), others may support DDR4.

Either way ... use of DDR4 doesn't mean it's better than DDR3 because you don't know the bus bandwidth and you don't know the frequency and you don't know HOW the memory is used.

A controller may use DDR4 at 800 Mhz other controller may use DDR3 at 600-1333 Mhz ... both will probably have bigger bandwidth than needed.

9 minutes ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Well the p5 is the best drive of the bunch, but if you want to save a buck id  get a p1.

Also look at dramless drives like the p2 or sn550. About the same as the QLC drives you have listed. There is much more to a drive than dram.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well the p5 is the best drive of the bunch, but if you want to save a buck id  get a p1.

Also look at dramless drives like the p2 or sn550. About the same as the QLC drives you have listed. There is much more to a drive than dram.

What about Kingston a2000.

7 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

What about Kingston a2000.

Its a low end nvme ssd. Its fine, nothing really special. Seems to be pretty simmilar to something like a s550 or p1 in performance

21 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

Which kind of dram is better in SSDs  LPDDR4, DDR3, DDR4 ?

One point I forgot in my first reply that might interest you...the reason it rarely matters is because DRAM on a consumer SSD is used for metadata, like mapping/addressing, specifically to be faster than going to the copy on the NAND/flash. This is particularly true with small I/O, e.g. 4K. So therefore latency is the primary concern more than bandwidth. What you typically see is that a single drive model that comes over time with two different DRAM configurations, i.e. DDR3 and DDR4, that the true latency - this is the latency calculated by looking at effective clock rate and latencies (e.g. CAS) - tends to be around the same. The manufacturer will pick what's cheapest or available in many cases and may vary the amount of DRAM which is a different discussion. However, from the perspective of the consumer/user, the primary difference to you will be as I said above: power consumption and relatedly, thermals.

9 hours ago, Pratham Bhatnagar said:

P5: fastest of the bunch, but tends to run hot. An 8-channel controller needs 1TB to really stretch its wings.

A2000: good middle-of-the-road drive. It's only 4 channels but it has a good consumer controller and DRAM, plus good TLC. You lose out on sequentials and it's not ideal for heavier workloads.

P1: QLC-based and strictly a budget drive. I would not buy QLC at 500GB.

Q5: see above for P1.