DAC vs onboard

ALTF420

well I've got a X570 with Realtek ALC1220-VB onboard sound, but I bought a small DAC (with 96kHz 24bit 2 channel). However, if I look at the settings of my internal audio, it says it's got 32bit and 192kHz. I don't think I hear any difference (Tidal Master files on Sony MDR-7506 studio headphones).

Might my onboard sound actually be better than the dac? The dac has got a rather annoying noise, while the 3.5mm jack gets the coil whine of the GPU 😞

Good DAC should remove the noise. Since you get noise on both... you got 2 bad DACs. 

A dac us more than just how many bits it can output it's also about dac chip implementation and how good the amp is on the output stage every dac even stand alone ones have a amp to be able to output a signal if the implementation is bad or. Just the dac itself is bad you will hear noise. But a good dac should be absolutely silent. 

I have an at the time $500 dac/amp and have had my woes with PC noise.  I don't know what DAC you have but it could be a crappy dac, it could also be a noisy PSU transmitting sound to your USB and your onboard audio is just shielded better.

I know that schiit at one point had a decrapifier that would remove usb noise but they discontinued it.  I think it didn't sell well and higher end dacs are supposed to clean the usb signal?  Maybe they just integrated the decrapifier into their units or maybe I'm just taking a shot in the dark.  Maybe my dac/amp is just prone to USB noise.

At any rate I know for a fact that different PSU's make more or less USB noise within the same system.  My end result was a pi2aes ($300 galvanic solution) but after a month or two of the new psu running it had little noise.  It's only heard in tubes now.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

As mentioned, it probably comes down to USB isolation. Good DACs do this well, and over the past few years they seem to have gotten considerably better. Modern Schiit DACs tend to be just fine with this. Some of their older products had much lousier USB interfaces- hence why they sold a "USB Decrapifier". If your DAC has a "rather annoying noise", then either the USB power and/or USB ground noise is absolutely extreme or it's a lousy unit.

I have never met someone who could tell the difference in a blind test between 96k and 192k sample rates. For one, almost none of the content you listen to will be available at those kinds of sample rates. Remember, CD quality is 16 bit 44.1 k.

Just because your onboard audio claims to do 32/192 does NOT mean that it actually does. In fact, I can promise you that it doesn't even come close to 24 bits of dynamic range, much less 32. They're simply regurgitating the specs of whatever DAC chip they used. 98% of the time, the chip is not the limiting factor, it's the implementation and supporting circuitry.

For better or for worse, the Sony MDR-7506 headphones are both very sensitive and rather bright, so they tend to make any noise issues obvious. They're also just about the single easiest load you could give a headphone amplifier, so you're unlikely to see too many differences in that department.