Is it an okay config to have all my services all on a host os

Pa1yn
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
4 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

It's mostly a home server apart from a few game servers for friends etc

Then I guess it's really a matter of what you want to do. There isn't a compelling or otherwise important reason that you should convert your setup to VM's & CT's but it's an option if you ever decide your current setup isn't flexible enough for what you want to do.

Is it an okay config to have all my services (smb nas) (jellyfin) (minecraft server) etc all on a host linux os (ubuntu server) with seperate users or is using vms with a hyper visor a better option?

Id noramlly do a hypervisor as it makes a lot of things easier, and less issues if you break one services and easier to backup. but running it all on one host will work.

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id noramlly do a hypervisor as it makes a lot of things easier, and less issues if you break one services and easier to backup. but running it all on one host will work.

I have my server all on one host, good point completely messed up my firewall today and had to open the ports needed again 🙂

At least for a home setup if it works as is then it works but you have much more granular control over what runs when, what has access to what, if something crashes it doesn't take out everything, maintenance, maintaining uptime (ex. You want to reconfigure your file server but your friends are on the minecraft server and you don't want to shut it down to fix SMB), if you run some untested or beta software running it in a VM limits what it can interfere with, among other stuff.

There's also the benefit of being able to host multiple Operating Systems so you can use what best suits the application. You're not stuck with the one platform that sorta works with everything you want.

15 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

At least for a home setup if it works as is then it works but you have much more granular control over what runs when, what has access to what, if something crashes it doesn't take out everything, maintenance, maintaining uptime (ex. You want to reconfigure your file server but your friends are on the minecraft server and you don't want to shut it down to fix SMB), if you run some untested or beta software running it in a VM limits what it can interfere with, among other stuff.

There's also the benefit of being able to host multiple Operating Systems so you can use what best suits the application. You're not stuck with the one platform that sorta works with everything you want.

4 minutes ago, GougedKirby522 said:

Then I guess it's really a matter of what you want to do. There isn't a compelling or otherwise important reason that you should convert your setup to VM's & CT's but it's an option if you ever decide your current setup isn't flexible enough for what you want to do.