Is it better to transfer game files form HDD to SSD or to download them again?

Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
1 minute ago, Elans said:

its enough to play games but at best times i have download speeds of 40Mbps, but my average is at 15-25Mbps if not less

It would definitely be better for you to transfer the games to the new drive. As long as both libraries are added to Steam, you can use Steam Library Manager from https://github.com/RevoLand/Steam-Library-Manager to bulk transfer games.

Battle.net, GOG, Rockstar, and Epic Games launchers are a little less intuitive. You'll need to transfer games to the desired folder on the new drive manually and point the launcher to install there. They'll detect that the required files are present and properly reconfigure the games automatically.

Hello, I'm asking this question because I had quite a few games on my HDD around 600 GB of them. I decided to get a 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD and I have installed Windows and some drivers on it already. The main question is is it better (faster) for me to transfer data from HDD to SSD or to download the games again? I'm asking this because my internet isn't the best, It enough to play games but at best times I have download speeds of 40Mbps, but my average is at 15-25Mbps if not less. Having such low means that if I want to download (for example) BF5 it would take like 6 hours. So I want to understand if it's faster for me to connect both drives and just move files from one to another?

Old HDD: 1TB Seagate BarrAcuda

New SSD: 1TB Crucial MX500

Just depends whether it can be reinstalled in the new location. Steam and some other stores can do that.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Just depends whether it can be reinstalled in the new location. Steam and some other stores can do that.

Well yeah, most of the games that I have are from steam so that would probably work? Would it then be faster to just transfer them from the HDD to SSD and not to download them again?

1 minute ago, Elans said:

its enough to play games but at best times i have download speeds of 40Mbps, but my average is at 15-25Mbps if not less

It would definitely be better for you to transfer the games to the new drive. As long as both libraries are added to Steam, you can use Steam Library Manager from https://github.com/RevoLand/Steam-Library-Manager to bulk transfer games.

Battle.net, GOG, Rockstar, and Epic Games launchers are a little less intuitive. You'll need to transfer games to the desired folder on the new drive manually and point the launcher to install there. They'll detect that the required files are present and properly reconfigure the games automatically.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

3 minutes ago, Elans said:

Well yeah, most of the games that I have are from steam so that would probably work? Would it then be faster to just transfer them from the HDD to SSD and not to download them again?

Yeah most likely. Lots of small files could slow it down but your HDD should be able to transfer faster than 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s) on average.

2 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

2 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Yeah most likely. Lots of small files could slow it down but your HDD should be able to transfer faster than 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s) on average.

Big thanks!!