reallocated sectors count caution?

thatpc.
Go to solution Solved by Applefreak,
2 minutes ago, untrustworthy said:

This... I have had false cautions from CDI but I haven't seen that one. Reallocated sectors are sectors that corrupted and were moved (I'm pretty sure?). I would back up the hard drive either to the cloud or to an external drive (or a spare internal drive) because if this escalates it could probably be pretty bad.

AFAIK, that reads as follows: 100 is the limit and 5 Sektors (in your case) have been moved. 

To be sure, install Sea Tools (freeware from Seagate, works on all HDDs). Do a surface scan for bad sectors.

As a rule of thumb, if the drive is used daily for games and or OS and applications, The manufacturers warranty is the expected life time plus 50 percent if the system was on less than 8 hours a day.

You can also use HWinfo64, it does calculate the uptime in moths and years.

Hitachi and Seagate drives have a Sector allocation limit of 100, while most WD drives, have 200. That does not mean that the drive won't fail before reaching that limit. If your reallocation count has gone up recently and is still going, it is high time to replace the drive. If not, do a surface scan with Sea Tools and check the drives. I would also advise to check every new drive, that way you can potentially avoid issues later and replace the drive before loosing data.

looking at crystal diskinfo and im getting a caution with reallocated sectors count. not sure what it means but im guessing its bad? current is at 100 and worst is at 100 and threshold is at 5

does this mean my hard drive can be failing? if so how long until it does?

Can you send a screenshot?

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II 
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz 16 GB (8x2) 
GPU - Asus Dual RTX2060 12GB
Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow
Storage - Crucial BX500 480 GB - Seagate BarraCuda 7200 RPM 2 TB
PSU - PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze (looking for replacement, its loud)
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo with two RGB fans

NAS:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (had on hand)

Motherboard: HP Slimline S5610F Motherboard from Ebay

RAM: EVGA Superclocked 16gb

Storage: 2x 4TB WD Blue and old asf caviar se16 250gb because I had it and its worked for so long I don't trust anything else as much

GPU: Integrated on the mobo
Case: Old PowerSpec case from Micro Center (that can hold 8 hard drives)

PSU: EVGA W3 500W

Cooler: AMD stock cooler at PS4 RPM's that keeps the cpu at 14-24 degrees

2 hours ago, untrustworthy said:

Can you send a screenshot?

image.png.33600b043a859ae46c17fe15d6b91637.png

Just now, ISHAJDM said:

That almost looks like crystal disk info isn't reporting it right. Thats a extremly high amount of reallocated sectors if that value is right, and the drive doesn't report that as a problem

Id probably keep using the drive if you don't have other issues and make sure you have good backups.

1 minute ago, ISHAJDM said:

This... I have had false cautions from CDI but I haven't seen that one. Reallocated sectors are sectors that corrupted and were moved (I'm pretty sure?). I would back up the hard drive either to the cloud or to an external drive (or a spare internal drive) because if this escalates it could probably be pretty bad.

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II 
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz 16 GB (8x2) 
GPU - Asus Dual RTX2060 12GB
Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow
Storage - Crucial BX500 480 GB - Seagate BarraCuda 7200 RPM 2 TB
PSU - PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze (looking for replacement, its loud)
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo with two RGB fans

NAS:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (had on hand)

Motherboard: HP Slimline S5610F Motherboard from Ebay

RAM: EVGA Superclocked 16gb

Storage: 2x 4TB WD Blue and old asf caviar se16 250gb because I had it and its worked for so long I don't trust anything else as much

GPU: Integrated on the mobo
Case: Old PowerSpec case from Micro Center (that can hold 8 hard drives)

PSU: EVGA W3 500W

Cooler: AMD stock cooler at PS4 RPM's that keeps the cpu at 14-24 degrees

Usually when sectors start failing then more will fail soon, so yes consider that drive as dying.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, untrustworthy said:

AFAIK, that reads as follows: 100 is the limit and 5 Sektors (in your case) have been moved. 

To be sure, install Sea Tools (freeware from Seagate, works on all HDDs). Do a surface scan for bad sectors.

As a rule of thumb, if the drive is used daily for games and or OS and applications, The manufacturers warranty is the expected life time plus 50 percent if the system was on less than 8 hours a day.

Hitachi and Seagate drives have a Sector allocation limit of 100, while most WD drives, have 200. That does not mean that the drive won't fail before reaching that limit. If your reallocation count has gone up recently and is still going, it is high time to replace the drive. If not, do a surface scan with Sea Tools and check the drives. I would also advise to check every new drive, that way you can potentially avoid issues later and replace the drive before loosing data.

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

From most drives Ive seen, 100 is the current normalized value, 100 is "good", and 5 is the point where the drive says its bad. SO the normalized vales look good for the drive.

That is also a really high value for reallocated sectors, so could be hex or something else going on here. You really can't look at raw values in smart without knowing what that exact drives means by them.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

From most drives Ive seen, 100 is the current normalized value, 100 is "good", and 5 is the point where the drive says its bad. SO the normalized vales look good for the drive.

That is also a really high value for reallocated sectors, so could be hex or something else going on here. You really can't look at raw values in smart without knowing what that exact drives means by them.

I agree. Unfortunately I have no info on Hitachi drives. Again, if the drive is out of warranty and other tools give you a warning, I would replace it asap. Can't hurt to be sure and prices of 500 GB drives have come really down lately so replacing won't hurt as much as 10 years ago.

It's only a 500GB drive, so if you have data on it that you care about it wouldn't cost much to replace it. I don't know if the S.M.A.R.T. data is being reported correctly or not, but if it is that's an extremely high number of reallocated sectors. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 hours ago, Applefreak said:

I agree. Unfortunately I have no info on Hitachi drives. Again, if the drive is out of warranty and other tools give you a warning, I would replace it asap. Can't hurt to be sure and prices of 500 GB drives have come really down lately so replacing won't hurt as much as 10 years ago.

this drive came from an old laptop and is about 10+ years old. I might just run it as long as it can go then replace it with an ssd when completely. will use that app for calculating the time tho as im curious.

If i have a drive with even 1 reallocated sector, it comes out and gets replaced.

Your drive seems to be reporting many thousands of reallocated sectors...

It could be a mistake, but i certainly wouldnt be risking continued use. Even if the data on it is not important or valuable, a drive failure at an inopportune moment cant be really problematic. Replace it in good time now that you know its iffy.