Budget Build for learning

Budget (including currency): $500 or less

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: word processing, dictation and surfing the web

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm completely new to building a computer. I have no parts list as of yet. I've been watching Linus and he has a couple of $300 builds that look interesting. I want to build a budget computer just to see if I can. Once I successfully put together a budget computer I'll build a higher end computer for my professional needs. If I can build this computer I'll use it for web surfing and writing on Microsoft  word with Dragon Naturally speaking 13 premium

I need at least 

• CPU: 2.2 GHz Intel® dual core or equivalent AMD processor
    • Note: SSE2 instruction set required.

As well as 16 gigs of ram for Dragon 13 premium to run smoothly.

The main purpose of this build is just for me to go through the process of building a computer and seeing if it's something I can do. Thanks in advance for the help.

4 minutes ago, TMoney4thewin said:

The main purpose of this build is just for me to go through the process of building a computer and seeing if it's something I can do. Thanks in advance for the help.

Its really not that hard, you can do it. I wouldn't both making a test pc. Just build the nice one first.

5 minutes ago, TMoney4thewin said:

'm completely new to building a computer. I have no parts list as of yet. I've been watching Linus and he has a couple of $300 builds that look interesting. I want to build a budget computer just to see if I can. Once I successfully put together a budget computer I'll build a higher end computer for my professional needs. If I can build this computer I'll use it for web surfing and writing on Microsoft  word with Dragon Naturally speaking 13 premium

300 bucks doesn't get you much, for that budget Id really try to get a used system.

I appreciate it. I have cerebral palsy which which for me means my hands and brain don't always agree, and I don't have the best fine motor control. I've been working with computers my whole life and I just want to have a better understanding of how they work.

My whole life many well meaning people have been telling me there are certain things I "can't do" because of my disability. So I just want to try to build the thing on a small budget so if something happens and it doesn't work it won't bother me.

I realize it's easier just to buy the computer that has the specs I need. And I'm saving up for a midrange laptop in parallel. But I just want to see if I can put a computer together.  

Just now, TMoney4thewin said:

I appreciate it. I have cerebral palsy which which for me means my hands and brain don't always agree, and I don't have the best fine motor control. I've been working with computers my whole life and I just want to have a better understanding of how they work.

My whole life many well meaning people have been telling me there are certain things I "can't do" because of my disability. So I just want to try to build the thing on a small budget so if something happens and it doesn't work it won't bother me.

I realize it's easier just to buy the computer that has the specs I need. And I'm saving up for a midrange laptop in parallel. But I just want to see if I can put a computer together.  

So here are the parts for a basic cheap build Id pick.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xyYz7

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.79 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B560M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($33.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill SRM-01B MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $291.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-09 13:30 EST-0500

Should be fine for web browsing and Dragon. Feel free to change some parts around as needed.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So here are the parts for a basic cheap build Id pick.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xyYz7

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G6400 4 GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.79 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B560M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: HP EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($33.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Rosewill SRM-01B MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($27.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $291.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-09 13:30 EST-0500

Should be fine for web browsing and Dragon. Feel free to change some parts around as needed.

Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes 🙂

If you feel more confident at getting a system around 500$ and less, ready for upgrades too you can use this :
PCPartPicker Part List:

You should be fine with the integrated graphics and the PSU should let you enough room to get a decent budget graphic card (1650, 1650super...) if you want to do more demanding tasks or gaming in the future, but of course when the prices will be back to normal. You can also try to search for the parts from this list manually by googling them, which i always do and make me save few bucks all the time. A gentleman up there put a good 300$ budget build already so here is the 500$'ish.

CPU Intel Core i7 9700F GPU Galax RTX 3070 EX (1 Click OC) Motherboard : Asrock B365M Pro4 CPU Cooler : be quiet! Dark Rock 4 RAM : (2x8) 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator 2666mhz SSD : PNY CS2130 1 TB M.2-2280 PSU : Corsair RM 650 (2019) 80+ Gold Fully modular Case : Empire Gaming Diamond Monitor : ACER EG240YPbipx - 23,8" - IPS - 2ms - 165Hz  Keyboard : Motospeed CK61 / Spirit of gamer XK500 Mouse : LOCX GXT133 Heaphone : Sony WH-1000X M3 Headphone

If you can put together a LEGO set, you can build a computer, probably with greater ease; there really aren't that many parts involved.

There's no need to build something to see if you can before trying it with higher end kit.

For something just to putz around on the internet, it's not really worth paying for individual parts; an old prebuilt Dell will always be a better value.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

23 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you can put together a LEGO set, you can build a computer, probably with greater ease; there really aren't that many parts involved.

There's no need to build something to see if you can before trying it with higher end kit.

For something just to putz around on the internet, it's not really worth paying for individual parts; an old prebuilt Dell will always be a better value.

I can build a lego set. 🙂 thanks!

30 minutes ago, LightCrimson said:

If you feel more confident at getting a system around 500$ and less, ready for upgrades too you can use this :
PCPartPicker Part List:

You should be fine with the integrated graphics and the PSU should let you enough room to get a decent budget graphic card (1650, 1650super...) if you want to do more demanding tasks or gaming in the future, but of course when the prices will be back to normal. You can also try to search for the parts from this list manually by googling them, which i always do and make me save few bucks all the time. A gentleman up there put a good 300$ budget build already so here is the 500$'ish.

Thanks so much. I'm just learning and figuring stuff out. But this build looks great! Thanks for putting it together. 🙂

37 minutes ago, LightCrimson said:

PCPartPicker Part List:

I like this build for the simple reason that, pedagogically speaking, this goes into pretty much every single step you would need to build a higher end PC save for the GPU (which is a simple plug and play with a bit of cable management), especially with the exercise of the aftermarket CPU fan.

However, if I had to nitpick, I would just swap the semimodular power supply for a fully modular one just as an exercise in cable management. But that's my personal preference.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

44 minutes ago, LightCrimson said:

PCPartPicker Part List:

Thanks for this! I don't do any gaming. This machine will be for writing fiction. My higher end machine will need to run adobe inDesign for print layout stuff. But that's for later. This is exciting!

6 minutes ago, CT854 said:

I like this build for the simple reason that, pedagogically speaking, this goes into pretty much every single step you would need to build a higher end PC save for the GPU (which is a simple plug and play with a bit of cable management), especially with the exercise of the aftermarket CPU fan.

However, if I had to nitpick, I would just swap the semimodular power supply for a fully modular one just as an exercise in cable management. But that's my personal preference.

Thanks. I'm glad I posted here. I was a bit worried about it but everyone has been great. I'm going to take a couple days to think about it and I'll update this thread with my progress and if I run into any problems. Thanks.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice. A lot is going on for me right now but I will post on this thread updates as I get the thing built. Thanks for your help!