Should I buy ps5

Ryan Kukreti

I’ve been thinking of buying ps5, it’s got everything I want however recently I’ve been reading about this dual sense stick drift problems and how it may not even last a year without drifting. This was a really major concern for me as I wouldn’t spend 80 bucks every year for a controller, what’s your take? Should I buy it, or not?

it's up to you really... do you have an alternative way of playing? (older console or gaming pc?) you aren't telling us much about what you want to do/play so we cannot make this decision for you. 

3 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

it's up to you really... do you have an alternative way of playing? (older console or gaming pc?) you aren't telling us much about what you want to do/play so we cannot make this decision for you. 

I have a PS4 slim and pc(1050ti, ryzen 3) but both are outdated now, I really want to have ps5 but I’m just concerned about the stick drift issue. 

8 hours ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

I’ve been thinking of buying ps5, it’s got everything I want however recently I’ve been reading about this dual sense stick drift problems and how it may not even last a year without drifting. This was a really major concern for me as I wouldn’t spend 80 bucks every year for a controller, what’s your take? Should I buy it, or not?

if u want one of the latest consoles, i would suggest xbox series x as its much better in basically everything. The only thing better about the ps5 is some of the exclusives that they have. for one, the xbox series x has a 12 terflop gpu compared to a 10 teraflop. And the design on the ps5 is not just hideous, but it is made out of a cheap bad build quality and it gets fingerprint easily on the white part. Also, they controllers are definetely worse and look rly ugly. The xbox series x is just do much better. 

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

5 hours ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

I have a PS4 slim and pc(1050ti, ryzen 3) but both are outdated now, I really want to have ps5 but I’m just concerned about the stick drift issue. 

Pretty much all the consoles now use the same kind of sticks so they all have class action lawsuits against them for stick drift.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Pretty much all the consoles now use the same kind of sticks so they all have class action lawsuits against them for stick drift.

So this means in the end, consumers would be taken care of? Or would we be the one to suffer?

27 minutes ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

So this means in the end, consumers would be taken care of? Or would we be the one to suffer?

Meh you'll get a $7 check in like 8 years most likely. If Sony would extend a three year warranty to the DualSense I'd opt out of the class action and take the warranty coverage as soon as I get the letter from the lawyers. I have gotten a billion of these class action checks in the last 30 years, mostly from RAM price fixing, and they're usually not shit. Only decent class action settlement check I ever got was $30 from Nvidia for them lying about the memory and specs of the GTX 970 (which I bought near launch).

I was just pointing out that Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are using the same stick-drift prone sticks now, at least according to Spawn Wave I believe (great youtuber who does teardowns of consoles and controllers). On the plus side I haven't gotten any stick drift on my joycons nor Switch Pro Controller that I have had for three years now and they have the same sticks. Hope my DualSense holds up as well as those have.

As for whether the PS5 is worth it right now? I dunno. For me it was because I specifically held out on playing some PS4 games I really wanted to play, such as Ghost of Tsushima, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Spiderman, Judgment, The Last of Us Part II, and Yakuza Like a Dragon, waiting for 60 fps PS5 versions (all but TLOU II have them at least announced). So if you can say similar the PS5 might be a decent buy. Or if you're super hyped for Demon's Souls or Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart. If not though I would expect a lot of big games aren't going to come out this year. Eg Elden Ring sounds doubtful, so does God of War Ragnarok, and I'm leaning that way on Dying Light 2 also since we haven't heard anything about it in months. And I'm not buying that we'll have Horizon Forbidden West this year when we have yet to see any gameplay whatsoever.  I certainly wouldn't buy one just for the typical soulless Ubisoft games like AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, or the upcoming Far Cry 6.

Another thing that factored into my buying decision was Microsoft saying they weren't expecting any price per transistor cost savings on 5nm or 3nm, which if true means no $250 to $300 PS5 Slim after a node shrink, unlike what we saw with the PS4 (hell I bought my PS4 Slim for $220 brand new from newegg in December 2016 like a month or two after it came out). So if there essentially isn't going to be an early adopters tax, well not one paid by me but by Sony instead, I didn't see much reason to wait. Of course Microsoft is a biased source and might have just been lying to explain why they produced the Series S, but it fits with how much gpus have increased in price over time even after node shrinks as node shrinks have gotten harder.

That’s it then, I’m keen on buying ps5 right away(when it comes back in stock lol)

15 hours ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

I have a PS5 and haven't experienced stick drift, at least not yet. Keep in mind that if there is a truly systemic problem you won't be purchasing a new controller every year. Sony will likely fix it before it gets that absurd. And you might not run into it every year, or at all.

I really, really enjoy my console. Right now the number of truly PS5-native games is fairly slim, but even the souped-up PS4 titles are worth exploring. My favourite is Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's a superb title regardless of platform, but on PS5 the ray tracing is beautiful, and the load times are absolutely seamless. I love zipping across the city with no delay, and there are moments where you just want to soak in the visuals, like a NYC Christmas market.

I sink most of my time into Destiny 2, which plays on PS5 like it would on a high-end gaming PC — minus the mouse and keyboard, of course.

Right now, my only real qualms are the dearth of PS5-only titles and the limited space on the current SSD. PS5 games can actually use less space than PS4 versions, since they don't need to duplicate data for the sake of load times, but that still means you may only have several games installed at any given moment. I won't complain too loudly when I only have a few games in progress at any given time, though!

7 hours ago, KingofMemes said:

if u want one of the latest consoles, i would suggest xbox series x as its much better in basically everything. The only thing better about the ps5 is some of the exclusives that they have. for one, the xbox series x has a 12 terflop gpu compared to a 10 teraflop. And the design on the ps5 is not just hideous, but it is made out of a cheap bad build quality and it gets fingerprint easily on the white part. Also, they controllers are definetely worse and look rly ugly. The xbox series x is just do much better. 

Respectfully... this is just wrong.

I wouldn't call either console particularly more powerful than the other. The XSX has the faster GPU, but the PS5 has the faster storage by a long way. The DualSense controller looks just fine here, and I'm more than happy to use it (I'd add that Sony has advanced haptic feedback Microsoft doesn't). And what does build quality matter when the console is sitting on your TV stand or inside a cabinet? You're not grabbing it like you would a smartphone.

The exclusives are very, very important. Remember, you're buying a console to... play games. Microsoft will likely have some good exclusives between Halo Infinite and whatever comes from its purchases of Bethesda, Obsidian and others, but Sony already has a few hotly-anticipated exclusives lined up, like God of War 5 and Horizon Forbidden West, along with a general reputation for finding and publishing must-haves. Microsoft so far has a very mixed track record, and I wouldn't buy an XSX merely to hope things get better.

To be clear, the XSX is by most standards a great console; it's just not the clear champion that you think it is.

40 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Respectfully... this is just wrong.

I wouldn't call either console particularly more powerful than the other. The XSX has the faster GPU, but the PS5 has the faster storage by a long way. The DualSense controller looks just fine here, and I'm more than happy to use it (I'd add that Sony has advanced haptic feedback Microsoft doesn't). And what does build quality matter when the console is sitting on your TV stand or inside a cabinet? You're not grabbing it like you would a smartphone.

The exclusives are very, very important. Remember, you're buying a console to... play games. Microsoft will likely have some good exclusives between Halo Infinite and whatever comes from its purchases of Bethesda, Obsidian and others, but Sony already has a few hotly-anticipated exclusives lined up, like God of War 5 and Horizon Forbidden West, along with a general reputation for finding and publishing must-haves. Microsoft so far has a very mixed track record, and I wouldn't buy an XSX merely to hope things get better.

To be clear, the XSX is by most standards a great console; it's just not the clear champion that you think it is.

but im right about the ps5 redesign, it is hideous and is very bad build quality, the white part get finger prints.

5 hours ago, KingofMemes said:

but im right about the ps5 redesign, it is hideous and is very bad build quality, the white part get finger prints.

Whether or not it's hideous is subjective, the build quality is not "very bad," and it's the black glossy part that gets fingerprints, not the white matte part. Have you seen one in person? I have... because it's sitting in my media cabinet right now.

9 hours ago, Ryan Kukreti said:

That’s it then, I’m keen on buying ps5 right away(when it comes back in stock lol)

Just know you're going to have to be on the watch 24/7 for a couple of months to probably get one. I waited until the new year to try because I didn't want to compete with people trying to get these as Christmas presents and still took me until early February to successfully get an order in. So for more than a month I had tracker sites open on my computer with loud ass alarms while also following PS5 restock news on youtube. I ended up getting one from Walmart using direct add to cart links (trying to add to cart from the product webpage was way too slow) and it still took racing through the checkout on the fourth time I got one in my shopping cart at Walmart to get one.

Anywhere you try to buy from you absolutely must have all your CC info already entered, your account email verified, etc, because you don't have time for any of that shit once you get a system in your shopping cart.

Playstation Direct does by far the most drops. Probably the easiest place to get a PS5 will be in a Gamestop bundle. These sell out quick but not immediately. For physical they'll usually be PS5 plus two $70 games plus extra controller plus Gamestop $20 giftcard for $730 while for digital it'll usually be PS5 Digital plus extra controller plus PS Plus 1 Year + $50 Playstation Store card + $20 Gamestop card for $600.

39 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Whether or not it's hideous is subjective, the build quality is not "very bad," and it's the black glossy part that gets fingerprints, not the white matte part. Have you seen one in person? I have... because it's sitting in my media cabinet right now.

Damn the black gloss is a microscratch magnet too. Gotta say it looks better in person than on video but I still think it would look horrendous horizontally. This is the first console I have ever used vertically.

6 hours ago, Commodus said:

I have a PS5 and haven't experienced stick drift, at least not yet. Keep in mind that if there is a truly systemic problem you won't be purchasing a new controller every year. Sony will likely fix it before it gets that absurd. And you might not run into it every year, or at all.

I really, really enjoy my console. Right now the number of truly PS5-native games is fairly slim, but even the souped-up PS4 titles are worth exploring. My favourite is Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's a superb title regardless of platform, but on PS5 the ray tracing is beautiful, and the load times are absolutely seamless. I love zipping across the city with no delay, and there are moments where you just want to soak in the visuals, like a NYC Christmas market.

Ghost of Tsushima is just freaking beautiful on PS5 if you haven't played it. I was so hyped for the game with how it looked at E3 2018 and then so disappointed when I saw what it actually looked like on PS4 right before launch, but PS5 with the rock solid 60 fps makes it look just like it did at that E3 showing. Damn I think I played it about ten hours today lol.

I live in India, here we won’t have any restock until the end of March so yeah desperately waiting for that. I am gonna buy Cold War as I’m a cod fan and buy cod every year, still I’m confused which 2nd game should I buy, ghost of Tsushima, Valhalla, or miles morales?

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

i hope ur media cabinet isnt hard wood, it will look awful

2 hours ago, KingofMemes said:

i hope ur media cabinet isnt hard wood, it will look awful

It's a brightly coloured IKEA cabinet... nothing special, but it looks just fine. As it stands I'm here to play, not stare lovingly at my console.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

It's a brightly coloured IKEA cabinet... nothing special, but it looks just fine. As it stands I'm here to play, not stare lovingly at my console.

well yes, but if i had it i would at least hide it

I know I’m late to the party but I’ll chime in here. I’ve had my Ps5 since January with no stick issues. 2 of my friends got launch consoles and I’ve changed the sticks out for both of them once already. 

Replacing the stick isn’t a big deal and they aren’t expensive. Yes it’s a pita but I feel like it’s worth getting one. Hell just sell the controller that comes with it new, buy one from a store like Walmart and add a couple year warranty to it. If you have issues take it back and swap it out, no need to rebuy a controller use the warranty options available to you 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Its either a new console, scalper pricing, luck, or the beloved shuffle.

I heard that if you talk to Nintendo you can send them your Joy Con and they will send you another.. not sure of the validity but someone needs to call someone to know for sure 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14