Verified Actual Gamer Program Information [See Best Answer / 2021-10-08 update]

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

*** IMPORTANT *** LATEST INFO ***

Latest drop was made 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

The drop is over, we have no info about when, what or where the next will be. Follow LinusTechTips on Youtube for any new drops.

EXPECTED TO DROP NEXT:

• Intel Arc GPUs (hinted at Dec 24th WAN Show)

About shipping and handling

• Handling times seem to be 1 week from drop to shipping label created.
  • Shipping times depend on carrier. For outside of NA, the carrier is FedEx and shipping times seem to be regular 5-14 days. For US and Canada, the shipping times might be same, or even longer.
  • Any additional charges, like customs fees and local VAT are paid on entry to country. There has been variation between countries to whom payments are made (FedEx on delivery, FedEx to their office, custom directly), so contact your local FedEx or customs offices for more details on those.

Known drops:

1. Asus 3070, 3080 and 3090, 2021-03-20 17:40 UTC

Spoiler

2. MSI 3080 SeaHawk, 2021-03-30 16:59 UTC

Spoiler

3. AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 2021-04-09 00:59 UTC

Spoiler

4. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-24 01:57 UTC / During WAN Show

Spoiler

5. Asus TUF 6800XT, 2021-04-26 17:05 UTC

Spoiler

vag2.thumb.PNG.ddd1ef7594273016c360771a196baf6a.PNGvag.PNG.6b7b0a1f9d7fc091e7b30720625e99f8.PNG

6. EVGA RTX 3060 XC Gaming / RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra, 2021-05-06 20:29 UTC

Spoiler

7. MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X OC, 2021-09-28 17:11 UTC

$1589.99

Spoiler

PARTICIPATION ENDED! If you are local to LMG (Lower Mainland region of British Columbia, Canada), you can participate to this https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

Announced in WAN Show https://youtu.be/-qj6hkLkdYg?t=2450

The even video (also 6th drop video)

FAQ

How do I enter? Can I enter? Where to signup?

You don't. All information about the drops are posted to Youtube and are hidden in videos. So far all drops have been on LinusTechTips main channel.

UPDATE: One of the drops was made live, during the WAN Show on Fridays. Until now there has been no drops on Friday or weekends.

UPDATE: For limited time, you can participate with local event https://gleam.io/nntHg/verified-actual-gamer-program-can-you-beat-linus

I watched the video, but there were no information. Where do I find this?

The information about the drop is removed from video after the drop is over.

When are videos posted?

At the moment LMG is using their regular timeslot which is 10-11AM PST (17-18 UTC).

UPDATE: LMG has posted in different timeslot to allow those in school or working chance.

How does this work?

So far the known information is following:

• Video is posted on Youtube and Floatplane at the same time.
  • There's segment in video where Linus gives a hint about what link you need to use in order to enter. The hints are words and Linus uses his fingers to state what parts of the link they are. The links start with http://www.lttstore.com/. Link is temporary and will only show note about drop ending afterwards.
    • UPDATE: Previously there was actual cut-scene, latest drop had just voice-over during b-roll.
  • There will be challenge on store page.
    • The first two drops had 15 question quiz about video games. You have 3 lives and 3-4 options to choose from. Fastest to finish will get their chance to buy items.
      • Besides 3 lives, you can skip 2 questions.
      • The latest drop had questions in video format with some answers shown as "A/B/C/D" and some as written normally.
    • UPDATE: Latest drop had small flash game in style of Jump King / Icy Tower.
  • Item of the drop is shown on store page before taking the quiz. You will see the price and other details too.
  • UPDATE: After completing challenge, you are put onto queue with AFK meter to prevent idling. Forgetting to re-charge bar will drop you at the tail end of the line
  • Prices are before VAT, tariffs etc. and shown in USD. Price after tariffs (US only) are shown on page.
  • You are allowed to buy one CPU and one GPU from this event. (Source)

Can you tell me when the next drop is?

No, because we don't know.

I'm at school/sleeping/working/have other reasons and can't watch at current time slot.

Linus has said that they will at some point use different time slot. What it is, we don't know. UPDATE: The time slot for later time was 12PM-1AM UTC.

Why can't they have link or more information somewhere?

Because the whole point is make this as hard as possible for anyone but the absolute most dedicated fans.

Why they don't collect list of people? Why aren't forum members, Floatplane subscribers etc. prioritized?

List wouldn't do anything. There would still need to be draw of sort needed, and the list would consist more of non-gamers the longer it was left open. Prioritizing forum members would discriminate towards other parts of audience.

Having payment as requirement to join or as something making "winning" more likely is classified as lottery under laws. This would require permit, it would exclude several regions which require local permits or don't allow any lottery, and it would put age limit of 19 years in place.

Can I try quiz afterwards?

At the moment, no. But there might be site at some point after event ends.

Posts made by Luke and Linus.

Spoiler

WAN Show segments

Spoiler

WAN Show Jun 4, 2021

26:25 - 27:10 "We currently have no stock, but the program is still on"

1:23:00 - 1:23:30 One board partner with some 3080Ti's coming

WAN Show April 23, 2021

17:43 - 34:43 VAG Drop live on stream

43:15 - 44:50 VAG drop is over, hinted about 270 more cards

1:16:40 - 1:17:44 Some last minute info

WAN Show April 16, 2021

1:36:30 Super-chats

WAN Show April 9, 2021

13:20 - 13:40 The latest drop info
40:50 - 43:55 The local event info
1:15:35 - 1:17:34 Super-chats #1
1:24:25 - 1:24:47 Super-chats #2
1:25:47 - 1:26:07 Super-chats #3

WAN Show August 27, 2021

1:05:40 - Super-chats

WAN Show October 8, 2021

2:06:20 - Super-chats

Here Linus says that Verified Actual Gamer program would be suspended until further notice. Reason given was that retail prices are about same as so-called "scalper prices". Making the program pointless.

WAN Show December 24, 2021

1:09:10 onward

To be updated

Misc:

I’m sure there are actual gamers out there who are capable of scalping a new video card purchased at MSRP. Is there a way to at least filter out people who already have RTX cards?

On 3/11/2021 at 1:26 PM, MCDELTAT said:

Yeah the only info we have is from WAN. He said the program would be introduced during a video, but I don't think it'll be fastest to click. Maybe we'll have to link our Steam account and have a recently played game, who knows. As for time it'll go live, since it's attached to a video, just look when the videos have gone up. Let's just say I've been consistently in the first 10 people to a video every day this week.... and I'm just 1% annoyed because I've already seen all these videos anyways over on Floatplane. But I'll give them the extra view I guess. But I need a new CPU for studying.... if there's a 5900X, I'll be happy. Hopefully something other than 3080's as well. I want a 3070.

yeah they said there are gonna be doing something with some products that msi and amd sells 

6 hours ago, BuckDatFitch said:

How do I get into this program?

Its not live yet. Next week.

12 hours ago, neilm327 said:

I’m sure there are actual gamers out there who are capable of scalping a new video card purchased at MSRP. Is there a way to at least filter out people who already have RTX cards?

That's a good point. What's stopping an actual gamer, who already has a 3000 series GPU to participate. I know we will have to wait to see, but I hope they figure something decent out.

In his tweet, he said that it was going to be delayed until next week, does this mean the week of february 15 ?

23 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

In his tweet, he said that it was going to be delayed until next week, does this mean the week of february 15 ?

It's March...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It's March...

It's part of his mind games so no one will show up when the actual date occurs.  519652195671474206.gif?v=1

Now if only I could use my $430 of accrued Amazon points I've been hoarding for like 2 years to buy a new GPU to buy a new GPU.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:54 AM, LogicalDrm said:

A queue or even random draw has nothing to do with scalpers. Only way to counter scalpers is to verify the need for buyer and not to buy from a scalper. So you are the one enabling scalpers, not the store. A queue would only slow down the sales overall, which is not what most stores want.

I've also cleaned the thread from mainly off topic bickering about each others media consuming habit. You can make some other thread to rant about it. Lets keep this focused on VAG information, Q&A and speculation. If there's more actions, they will be done by another moderator.

uFki8hEItDYbcyk69ksbnynkrrLd4ftMjoMqTujpRcI.thumb.png.b1ded7740a441978ca7a6c998fc47661.png

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Now if only I could use my $430 of accrued Amazon points I've been hoarding for like 2 years to buy a new GPU to buy a new GPU.

Are those points from an Amazon Chase card by chance? If so, I’d recommend that instead of redeeming them directly on Amazon, that you apply them as bill credit and then buy the thing on Amazon just using the card like normal. You’ll accrue additional points that way.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

It's March...

lol i forgot about that

13 hours ago, FriedEngineer said:

Are those points from an Amazon Chase card by chance? If so, I’d recommend that instead of redeeming them directly on Amazon, that you apply them as bill credit and then buy the thing on Amazon just using the card like normal. You’ll accrue additional points that way.

Does it really work like that? I assumed they're smarter than that. So buy it normal and earn the 5% then use the rewards that I got for free to pay the cost of the GPU on my CC bill? It's like...free realestate.

6 hours ago, Padblaze said:

lol i forgot about that

It's gonna be May.

On 3/15/2021 at 2:49 PM, Bitter said:

Does it really work like that? I assumed they're smarter than that. So buy it normal and earn the 5% then use the rewards that I got for free to pay the cost of the GPU on my CC bill? It's like...free realestate.

Cause most people don't bother 🙂

On 3/15/2021 at 12:53 AM, FriedEngineer said:

I'm always surprised how many people don't take advantage of this, but had to make an account to give you a like as this is solid advice that everybody should know. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:13 PM, cyphon21 said:

That's a good point. What's stopping an actual gamer, who already has a 3000 series GPU to participate. I know we will have to wait to see, but I hope they figure something decent out.

I don't know if they'd have a way to feasibly do something like this. I mean doing a steam sign in page or something to verify a person is an actual gamer is one thing, but to limit people that have an RTX card or a 3000 series card would require some sort of hardware check that could probably be bypassed by using a laptop or cell phone or even just by removing the GPU in your rig so I'd be pretty surprised to see something like that unless they came up with some other way to verify that information.

On 3/13/2021 at 3:12 AM, jes2k13 said:

okay calm your horses down, we all know big brother Google is singing that Police Song ever breath you take...

now how to actually enter this Program? is it out already? what is the name of the app that we need to download?

can LMG verify that there will not be massive backdooring of their inventory ala Nike VP son's West Coast Clothing and Michael Jordan's Demarcus Jordan actions?

Keeping my fingers crossed, good luck everyone

It's supposed to be stuck into a future LTT video (or one of the other channels) and instructions to enter there, most likely. Best thing you can do is watch their videos when they come out.

I just wanted to say WELL DONE to @LinusTechand team with the whole verified gamer idea. Ya the thing itself is good for everyone who can get a card but also it’s really clever on the business side. Your selling for retail so probably 0-little loss there AND your viewership has got to be higher (not to mention that it’s probably more immediate which I think helps with the algorithm). I mean just well done.

***in case your wondering NO this is not sarcastic or anything, I just think it is real clever***

29 minutes ago, Niswendel said:

I just wanted to say WELL DONE to @LinusTechand team with the whole verified gamer idea. Ya the thing itself is good for everyone who can get a card but also it’s really clever on the business side. Your selling for retail so probably 0-little loss there AND your viewership has got to be higher (not to mention that it’s probably more immediate which I think helps with the algorithm). I mean just well done.

***in case your wondering NO this is not sarcastic or anything, I just think it is real clever***

That's not accounting for shipping, if Linus media group has to overpay themselves for the gpus, or any other factors. The verified gamer program is pretty small and I highly doubt it'd have much of an impact on their viewership numbers. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

I mean the two reason why they do this, and why Asus and others have agreed on it (supplying small amount to non-partner retailers) is the advertising benefits they all get from it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

That's not accounting for shipping, if Linus media group has to overpay themselves for the gpus, or any other factors. The verified gamer program is pretty small and I highly doubt it'd have much of an impact on their viewership numbers. 

asus may have paid for shipping in order for ltt to use their cards or something like that

I've seen on twitter a guy that claims to order 4 gpu's already, is it true. Are u able to order?

Just now, kubsakkk said:

I've seen on twitter a guy that claims to order 4 gpu's already, is it true. Are u able to order?

I haven’t seen anything in the latest ltt vids.